July 15, 2021 - Band Camp and Communication Updates
Summer Band is coming!
Summer band is around the corner! Camp kicks off on July 20 at 8:00! Please read all details carefully. There is a ton of information below to help you be successful not only this week but all year!
Camp Locations are listed on the Calendar.
Color Guard: WHS
Battery Percussion: WHS
Front Ensemble: Cobb MS
Due to facility limitations, some afternoons may be outside if the weather is not too hot. Student safety is our number one priority as we make those decision.
2021-2022 Communication *IMPORTANT*
Best way around the issue to create a google email and let us know to add you to the mailing list.
All reminders, schedule updates, location updates and other announcements that come out in the week after the newsletter is sent will come from remind 101.
We will have a parents only Remind Text group and a student only text group.
All families must have at least 1 parent/guardian enrolled to receive text message updates from the band.
All student must be enrolled in recieving text message updates from the band.
Open your text messages:
Phone Number: 81010
If anyone has trouble with 81010, they can try texting @whsb21stu to (972) 347-0792
Phone Number: 81010
If anyone has trouble with 81010, they can try texting @whsb21par to (972) 347-0792
Summer Band FAQ
Band Camp Supplies
- Hat (required for all outdoor rehearsals)
- tennis shoes (flat foot shoes are not useful; ex: Vans, Converse, etc)
- lightweight athletic clothing
- Specific Band equipment (instrument, color guard equipment [flags, rifles, gloves] drums, etc)
- Printed Sheet Music - IT IS IMPORTANT TO HAVE IT PRINTED. WE DO NOT HAVE A PRINTER ON CAMPUS RIGHT NOW.
- 1 gallon watercooler (see below)
- Flip folder (winds only)
- Smile!! :)
BAND CAMP THEME DAYS!
We have only one day left of our July Drumline Camp. Thank you to everyone for your outstanding effort this week. At this time we have learned all of the warm ups and exercises we will use throughout the season, defined our listening roles within our ensembles, and have learned all of Part I and Part III of our 2021 Marching Show. Because of each of your individual efforts, we are well primed for another amazing marching season and year for the Wakeland Percussion Program.
There are a few updates to the schedule below (bolded). The Battery has been asked to play at a pep gig on July 28th at The Star. We will be provided T-Shirts and a donation will be made to the band program for our participation. We ask that you arrive at 7:30a. The pep-gig will be finished at 9:00a. We will not need to be back at Wakeland until 10:00a that morning for the remainder of the morning block.
July 24th had been previously communicated as a Truck Unload Day at WHS as we move the front ensemble from Cobb Middle School to Wakeland High School. July 24th is also our final registration day where students will fit and order uniform items for the season as well as provide opportunities for our parents to sign up to volunteer. Percussion has a history of having the most parent involvement out of the entire band program. Not only is this an amazing experience for your students, but this is also a wonderful opportunity for our parents to meet others in the community and build lasting relationships. (Speaking from experience, my parents still hang out with their band parent friends even though I left HS Band a while ago...)
Important Percussion Specific Dates/Information:
· July 15 Summer 2021 Drumline Camp 8:00a-5:00p (Location: Cobb MS)
· July 20 Battery Fundamentals Camp 8:00a-3:00p (Location: Wakeland HS)
· July 20 Front Ensemble Music Camp 8:00a-3:00p (Location: Cobb MS)
· July 20 Midwest Percussion Ensemble Camp “stones. on shores. waiting.” 5:00p-8:00p (Location: Cobb MS)
· July 21 Battery Fundamentals Camp 8:00a-3:00p (Location: Wakeland HS)
· July 21 Front Ensemble Music Camp 8:00a-3:00p (Location: Cobb MS)
· July 21 Midwest Percussion Ensemble Camp “Golgotha” 5:00p-8:00p (Location: Cobb MS)
· July 22 Battery Fundamentals Camp 8:00a-3:00p (Location: Wakeland HS)
· July 22 Front Ensemble Music Camp 8:00a-3:00p (Location: Cobb MS)
· July 22 Midwest Percussion Ensemble Camp “Sprint” 5:00p-8:00p (Location: Cobb MS)
· July 23 Battery Fundamentals Camp 8:00a-3:00p (Location: Wakeland HS)
· July 23 Front Ensemble Music Camp 8:00a-3:00p (Location: Cobb MS)
· July 24 Truck Unload at WHS/Registration Day 8:00a-9:00a
· July 26 Battery Fundamentals/Front Ensemble Music Camp 8:00a-5:00p
· July 26 Midwest Percussion Ensemble Camp “stones. on shores. waiting.” 6:00p-8:00p
· July 27 Battery Fundamentals/Front Ensemble Music Camp 8:00a-5:00p
· July 27 Midwest Percussion Ensemble Camp “Golgotha” 6:00p-8:00p
· July 28 Battery Pep-Gig at The Star 7:30a-9:00a
· July 28 Battery Fundamentals Camp 10:00a-5:00p
· July 28 Front Ensemble Music Camp 8:00a-5:00p
· July 28 Midwest Percussion Ensemble Camp “Sprint” 6:00p-8:00p
· July 29 Battery Fundamentals/Front Ensemble Music Camp 8:00a-5:00p
· July 30 Battery Fundamentals/Front Ensemble Music Camp 8:00a-5:00p
· August 2 Band Camp 8:00a-8:00p
· August 3 Band Camp 8:00a-8:00p
· August 4 Band Camp 5:00p-10:00p
· August 5 Band Camp 5:00p-10:00p
· August 6 Band Camp 5:00p-10:00p
· August 7 Band Camp 8:00a-8:00p
MIDWEST REHEARSAL|PERFORMANCE DATES
· October 11 Clif Walker stones. on shores. waiting. Clinic 10:00a-3:00p
· November 5|6 Midwest Percussion Ensemble Clinic (TBD)
· November 18 Midwest Percussion Ensemble Performance
· November 19|20 Midwest Percussion Ensemble Clinic (TBD)
· December 6 Midwest Percussion Ensemble Clinic (TBD)
· December 7 Midwest Percussion Ensemble Performance
· December 10|11 Midwest Percussion Ensemble Clinic (TBD)
· December 12 Midwest Percussion Ensemble Performance
*Please pencil in the above dates. October 11th is a confirmed rehearsal day with Clif Walker. November 6th is an Approved SAT Testing Day. If you plan to take the SAT on November 6th please let me know as soon as possible. There will be after school practices that will be scheduled soon and published to the band calendar. The above are possible/tentative dates for our clinicians and guest artists to fly out to work with us. We may not be rehearsing your piece on all of the above dates. Make certain to subscribe to the Band Calendar and read through the weekly emails for all updates.
Please make certain you have reviewed the calendar found at wakelandband.org and have joined the remind for the 2021 Drumline. This is how we can keep you up to date and answer any questions you may have in a fast and timely manner.
Past Communications: Percussion Updates
Show Music: 2021 Wakeland Drumline
Midwest Concert Repertoire: 2021 Wakeland Percussion Ensemble
To Join the Wakeland High School Drumline 2021 Remind:
Link - remind.com/join/whsdl21
Text - @whsdl21 to the number 81010