The Panther Press
November 13, 2023
EVCS Mission Statement
“The Elmwood Village Charter Schools will provide a stimulating and engaging learning environment that recognizes student capability, fosters their connectedness to their immediate and broader communities, and offers them ways to contribute to school life. EVCS believes that all students can and will learn at high levels when provided with the right learning conditions.”
We put students first. We act with urgency. We seek to be better. We work as a team.
Best Self Food Drive
To Benefit Feed More of WNY
When: November 13-21
Drop off location: EVCS Hertel Front Foyer & Cafeteria
Suggested items: Applesauce, boxed stuffing mix, broth or stock, cake or muffin mixes, canned vegetables, canned yams, cornbread mix, cranberry sauce, gravy, instant potatoes, whole grain pasta or rice
Inclement Weather Reminders
It's that time of year again!
Although there is no snow in the immediate future, we wanted to share a few reminders regarding school cancellations due to weather:
* Families will be notified through a SwiftReach text alert so please make sure that our main offices have the most up-to-date phone information.
* Contact Meriah Millner (Days Park) at (716) 886-4581 or NaShomi Shaffer (Hertel) at (716) 424-0555 to update contact information.
* Administration will notify all of the major news outlets and closings will be announced on the local TV channel (2, 4, and 7) tickers.
Hertel Community Care Closet
Yearbook Cover Contest - Last Week to Enter!
It’s time for the annual EVCS Yearbook Cover Contest! All students are welcome to create a submission for the contest.
Submission Deadline: Friday, November 17th
Submit Covers to: Main Office
Voting: November 21st
- 8.5x11” standard paper
- May use colored pencils, crayons, or markers
- Design should be EVCS-themed and school appropriate artwork
Best of luck to all entrants!
November 16 - Family Heritage and Cultural Arts Night - 6pm
November 22 - Half Day of School - 12:05pm Dismissal; No Best Self Afterschool for Hertel
November 23-24 - No School - Thanksgiving Break
December 1 - Half Day of School - 12:05pm Dismissal; No Best Self Afterschool for Hertel
IMPORTANT UPDATE - NYS TESTING DATES HAVE CHANGED. PLEASE REVIEW THE CALENDAR FOR NEW DATES.
Student Information Updates
School Dismissal Manager Assistance
It is important to update dismissal plans in the School Dismissal Manager (SDM) system.
- Students will be dismissed according to what is listed in SDM - any changes to dismissal should be entered prior to 2 pm.
- For assistance with School Dismissal Manager (SDM), contact your campus transportation coordinator, we are happy to help you learn to use the system. Reach out Meriah Millner (Days Park) or NaShomi Shaffer (Hertel).
- You can also watch this video for some instructions on using SDM: https://bit.ly/HowtoSDM
Days Park Basketball Tryouts
Family Heritage and Cultural Arts Night
Join us as we celebrate the unique cultures that makes us ONE EVCS!
When: Thursday, November 16, 2023
Where: EVCS Hertel
EVCS Meat Raffle
Sports and Activities
Yearly physicals need to be submitted as soon as possible. If your child does not have a physical on file, they may be excluded from sports and field trips. Please be sure to make a copy and give it to the school nurse.
Cold Weather Reminders
With the cold weather quickly approaching, it is important that children dress properly for the elements. Jackets, hats, gloves/mittens, and boots should be brought to school daily, as children have recess outside most days. Some of our field trips are outdoors as well and we want to be sure children are protected so they are able to enjoy the fresh air safely and comfortably.
When Should My Child Stay Home?
Please follow the guidelines below if your child is sick:
Children should stay home if:
* They have a fever above 100.0. Students can return when their temperature is normal for 24-hours, without the use of fever reducing meds.
* Constant cough
* Vomiting and/or diarrhea
* Eye discharge that is yellow or green in color
Our Mission is to build a strong and vibrant EVCS community.
Our Goal is to strengthen connections among EVCS families and foster relationships between families, school staff, and administration.
The EVCS CA sponsors events and fundraisers to support school activities that enrich the experiences of our community and that align with the Mission of the Elmwood Village Charter Schools
Days Park CA (email address)
Hertel CA (email address)
Be sure to check your email prior to the meeting for Zoom link or updates on any schedule changes.