School Newsletter — August 28
Note from the Principal
The time is here! It's back to school time! We are looking forward to seeing you all here for Back to School Curriculum Night and Annual Title 1A Meeting tomorrow, August 29th.
Hazeldale Back to School Night for Parents/Annual Title 1A Meeting
THURSDAY, AUGUST 29TH
- 4:30-5:15 in the Library—Families that are Bilingual (in need of interpreters for conferences) and Families of English Language Learners—Information Session and Conference Sign Ups (table also available during education Fair 6-6:30)
- 5:30-6 Classroom Presentation #1
- 6-6:30 Education FAIR in the Cafeteria
—Please stop by the different stations in the cafeteria to learn about PYP, PE, Music, Special Education, English Language Learners, Intervention Support and our Title I Information! Our staff is really looking forward to this opportunity to meet you and to share information as well as answer questions!
- 6:30-7 Classroom Presentation #2
Who is my child's teacher?
You will find out who your child's teacher is in two ways. 1) Monday, your child's teacher placed a welcome letter of introduction in the mail bin along with a few other important pieces of information such as a Going Home Plans form (also posted below in this newsletter) that we hope you bring with you to Back to School Night. 2) This morning, at 8:30 am, classroom teachers will email out this same welcome letter to you in case the snail mail doesn't get delivered to your home before our Back to School Night.
For the *first day of school, we allow parents to escort his/her child to the classroom beginning at 8:10 am. We ask that you say goodbye quickly as the teacher needs to begin instruction right away. We know from experience that if you prolong the goodbye for younger students in particular, the transition is much harder for the child (translation—many more tears that take longer to subside). Our PTO is hosting a Principals' Coffee on your child's first day. One for first through fifth grade parents on September 3rd and two for Kinder parents on September 5th and 6th.
*Note: First Day of School dates parents can escort his/her child to class are listed below—All other dates you must say goodbye before the entrance doors.
- Monday, September 3rd for Grades 1-5
- Thursday, September 5th for incoming Kinders with last names beginning with letters A-L
- Friday, September 6th for incoming Kinders with last names beginning with letters M-Z
First Week of School Student Schedule
- Student hours are 8:30 am to 3:05 pm Monday through Friday
- Doors open at 8:10 am daily
- Office hours are 7:30-4 pm Monday through Friday
Important Information: 2019 First Week of School Student Schedule
As noted in the District Calendar, the first day of school for many students is Tuesday, September 3, 2019. Please note the following first week schedule for elementary.
· The first day of school for students in grades 1-5 is Tuesday, September 3, 2019.
· Kindergarten: Tuesday, September 3, 2019 and Wednesday, September 4, 2019 will be reserved for individual student assessments by appointment only. Hazeldale Elementary mailed families of incoming kindergarten students their child's scheduled assessment time—the courier picked them up August 12th. Enrolled kinders, therefore, should receive this information in the mail last week. Please email the teacher's name listed on your letter if you need to reschedule or have any questions, or call the school office.
Half of each school’s kindergarten students will attend a full day of school on Thursday, September 5 (last names beginning A-L), and the other half of kindergarten students will attend school on Friday, September 6 (last names beginning M-Z; letters A-L stay home). Hazeldale will provide you with more detailed information in August. All kindergarten students will attend a full day of school on Monday, September 9, 2019.
- Wednesday, August 28th—Check your email a little after 8:30 am for Welcome Letter from your child's teacher (also snail mailed home)
- Thursday, August 29th—Back to School Night and Annual Title iA Meeting (detailed schedule above)
- Tuesday, September 3rd—First Student Day Grades 1-5 (Kinders don't start until September 5th and 6th)
- Tuesday, September 3rd—Principal's Coffee and Chat 8:35 am in Cafeteria
- Tuesday and Wednesday, September 3rd and 4th—Individual student assessment appointments for incoming Kindergarten students
- Thursday, September 5th—First Student Day for Kinders with Last Names beginning with letters A-L (These students will stay home on September 5th)
- Thursday, September 5th—Principal's Coffee and Chat 8:35 am in Multipurpose Conference Room (For Kinder Parents)
- Friday, September 6th—First Student Day for Kinders with Last Names beginning with letters M-Z
- Friday, September 6th—Principal's Coffee and Chat 8:35 am in Multipurpose Conference Room (For Kinder Parents)
- Monday, September 9th—Volunteer Orientation 6 pm & PTO Meeting 6:30 pm in Multipurpose Conference Room
- Friday, September 20th—Principal's Coffee and Chat 8:35 am in Multipurpose Conference Room (our all school assembly is at 9:30 am and the section on the bleachers closest to the gym entrance doors is reserved for guests)
- Friday, September 20th—PTO Family Night @ 5:30 pm—Details coming soon!
- Friday, September 27th—PTO Fun Run—main fundraiser of the school year
- Monday, September 30th—Art Literacy Training 10-11 am in Art Literacy Room
Arrival and Dismissal Procedures
Except for the first day of school according to the district calendar, parents/guardians must say goodbye to their child before the main entrance doors.
Morning Arrival Procedures
To ensure a safe and calm beginning of the day for all children of Hazeldale, we have the following arrival procedures.
—Supervision begins at *8:10 and students are to go to one of two locations:
o Eating Breakfast?—Go to the cafeteria if eating breakfast at school (arrive @ 8:10 if eating breakfast at school)
o Not Eating Breakfast?—Go to the gym for quiet Reading Club. (arrive by 8:25 if not eating breakfast at school)
Safety Note: Please do not drop off your child before 8:10 am as there is no supervision until that time.
o Teachers will walk their class to the busses and ensure students get on the correct bus.
o Car/Parent pick up is at the front of the building.
o Car: Please pull your car all the way forward.
Safety Note: Dismisssal is at 3:05 pm. Supervision concludes at 3:15 pm. Please arrange to pick up your child on time.
Going Home Plans for Your Child - How & When to Notify School of Changes
The instructional day begins at 8:30 and ends at 3:05 pm. We ask that you strive to have your child to school by 8:10 if they are eating breakfast at school, 8:25 if they are not. Please do not drop off your child prior to 8:10 am as there is not supervision and that is not safe.
- Please do not call in daily/weekly to change your child’s going home plans.
- Please do not come to pick up your child early (prior to 3:05 pm) for non-emergencies. Doing so significantly interrupts the instruction of the entire classroom of students.
- Thank you for striving to schedule appointments after the instructional day is over.
- Thank you for notifying the teacher and the office of scheduled appointments in advance.
Due to the size of the building, and the distance that bus loading is from the car pick up area, the office will need to hold firm to the following procedures to ensure your child goes home the correct way.
1) If your child is going home a different way email the *teacher and Kathy_cook@beaverton.k12.or.us before 8:00 am of the day the plan is changed. *If the teacher has a sub, they won’t see the note. Please make sure that the front office knows about the plan.
2) Call the office at 503.356.2010 prior to 2 pm (for emergencies only!). If you call/notify us after 2 pm for non-emergency changes, staff will inform you that we are sending home your child their regular way.
Parking Lot Safety Procedures
Dear friends and families of Hazeldale Elementary,
The purpose of this letter is to inform everyone of the parking lot safety and traffic reminders for drop off and pick up. I also ask that all adults that are coming to our school speak with courtesy to all staff members reminding drivers of these procedures. Safety comes before convenience, and we expect that ALL visitors to Hazeldale comply.
Your cooperation with the following will assist our efforts to maintain a safe parking lot experience for all students, parents, and staff.
Parking & Traffic Safety Reminders
- ALL car traffic enters the lot from the west entrance on Miller Hill Road
- Please pull all the way forward past entrance doors and around the curve when dropping off or picking up your student (to the very end of the yellow curb).
- All students riding in a private vehicle are to be picked up and dropped off at the front entrance of the school.
- Please don’t leave your car unattended at the curb.
- Please park in marked parking spaces only. We thank you for not inventing your own parking spaces. If you do not have a handicapped parking permit, please do not park in a handicapped parking space.
- Busses only in the designated bus area at the back of the school off Marlin Road.
- We encourage all students eligible to ride the bus to take advantage of this service.
- Please do not park on Marlin Drive or Miller Hill Road. You could be ticketed by Washington County.
- For special evening events, when school is not in session, guest vehicles may parallel park in the bus drop off lanes and car drop off lanes (wherever it is not marked as a fire lane). Additionally, the church across Farmington Road has given us permission to use their parking lot for these events as well as during the busy before and after school drop off and pick up time (permission current as of Fall 2019).
Thank you for following these requirements, and speaking in a courteous manner to our staff, as well as to one another, whenever on Hazeldale school grounds.
District Goal: WE empower all students to achieve post-high school success.
Hazeldale’s Mission and Vision
Hazeldale Elementary School works to support and inspire every child to think, to learn, to care, and to engage with power and agency in a changing world.
We provide a learning environment and instruction that promotes engagement, academic excellence, self-confidence, independence, risk and resilience. We foster respect, an appreciation of self and others, and collaboration through inquiry, exploration, goal setting, and service.
Hazeldale Elementary School
The District prohibits discrimination and harassment based on any basis protected by law, including but not limited to, an individual's actual or perceived race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national or ethnic origin, marital status, age, mental or physical disability, pregnancy, familial status, economic status, veteran status, or because of a perceived or actual association with any other persons within these protected classes.