Wednesday, March 6, 2019
HAVE YOU REGISTERED YOUR CHILD FOR 2019-2020?
STAY AND PLAY
LOOKIN' AT LEGACY PREVIEW DAYS!
Do you want your child to SHINE? At Legacy Christian we will teach your child to SHINE socially, academically and most importantly, spiritually. We invite you to consider Legacy Christian School! We will be offering Preview Days in March and April! This is a “walk-in” type preview where you and your child may come to see our Preschool, Young 5's, Traditional Kindergarten and Spanish Immersion Kindergarten “in action”. You will have the opportunity to meet the teachers, observe the classroom and learn more about what Legacy has to offer for your child’s first experiences in school! Mark these dates on your calendar and explore Legacy! Join us on Tuesday, March 19, from 9:00-10:00 am and Friday, April 19, from 9:00-10:00 am. You are welcome to come and experience our Worship, too, on Friday April 19, at 8:15 am. Questions? Please contact Kim Zwyghuizen at 616-455-3860 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
WHITECAPS READING CLUB
8TH GRADE MUSICAL
AUCTION = YUMMY DESSERTS!
Back by popular demand the auction committee is coordinating a dessert buffet for the evening of April 13. Please consider donating a sweet treat or asking the talented bakers in your family to consider a donation. All dessert donations are to be dropped off at the west campus on Friday, April 12. SIGN UP HERE
WE NEED VOLUNTEERS!
Its is Legacy's turn to cover shifts at the New Life Thrift Store. Our assignment is to cover at least 30 shifts during the month (4 hour shifts). For those new to the Legacy Community, Legacy benefits financially each year from the proceeds of the Thrift Store. In return, we are required to supply the volunteers several times a year. Each time slot is only a few hours of your time! It would be GREAT if every LCS family could get involved! Sign up with a friend and support the Thrift Store and Legacy Christian School. Parents, high schoolers, grandparents, friends...anyone is welcome! Please sign-up TODAY! https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0945a9a928a0f58-volunteers
RUNNING CLUB IS COMING
Running Club will start TOMORROW, March 7, in the elementary gym, at 3:15 pm. We will be doing a Tuesday / Thursday schedule this year. 5th graders can bus over to the elementary. Open to all boys and girls looking for fun and to run a 5K. Questions, contact Jenny at email@example.com.
ALSO WE WILL NEED PARENT VOLUNTEERS to keep the kids safe! Please sign up anytime you can help watch, lead or run with our kids! ! 2019 Run Club Volunteers
SCHOOL CALENDAR FOR NEXT YEAR
ELEMENTARY NEWS AND NOTES
- Weekly Worship - March 8 - Mrs. Bosma
Next Worship: - March 15 - Maestra Andino
- Playground help needed! The playground schedule for March went home a couple weeks ago. There are many days where there is only one parent assigned due to lack of volunteers. The staff is trying to fill in where needed but we would love to alleviate extra recess duties for them! Please call Bambi at 616-455-0310 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Spanish Immersion will again be offered this fall for Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd and 3rd grades! Will you have a kindergarten student here at LCS next year? Are you considering placing your student in our Spanish Immersion program? We are currently accepting registrations! Make plans to attend our walk-in Preview Days on Tuesday, March 19, and Friday, April 19, from 9:00-10:00 am, where you can see this program and our other fantastic early childhood classes in action! A registration form is attached to the newsletter and is also available in the school office or online at www.legacycs.org.
- Volunteer for lunchtime classroom coverage. We like to provide lunch time classroom coverage on Thursdays for teachers so they can enjoy lunch with their colleagues! Sign up here to volunteer!! Thanks for your help! https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f054ea4a82cab9-thursday4
WEST CAMPUS NEWS AND NOTES
- IPOD Worship - March 6 - Mrs. Lyzenga -NEXT: March 13 - Mrs. Hoekzema
- WC Worship - March 6 - Mr. Veltema NEXT: March 13 - Small Groups
8th grade boys volleyball tournament against Moline, Byron, and Dutton will be held on Tuesday, March 12, in Legacy's west campus gym. It will begin at 5:30 pm!
7th grade girls basketball - Please return your washed uniforms to the office as soon as possible. Thanks!
Sport Physicals at South Christian - Sports Physicals - Spring Session - are scheduled for Tuesday, May 7, from 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm, at school. The cost is $20. All athletes MUST have a physical dated after April 15, 2019, for the 2019-2020 school year. We also are planning on offering a Summer/Fall session again this year. That date will be Monday, Aug. 5, 2019.
MIDDLE SCHOOL SPORTS SCHEDULE
- MIDDLE SCHOOL TENNIS IS COMING- ATTENTION 7TH AND 8TH GRADE BOYS AND GIRLS! Middle school tennis is coming! Please see the flyer attached to this newsletter for details and sign up by March 7, if you are interested. We are looking forward to another fun season of playing with students from all four of the South Christian feeder schools!
Cash and Carry is open on Thursdays from 7:45-10:00 am, at the west campus.
If you want information on how TRIP works or how to sign up for TRIP, please contact Melody Newhouse (243-6472) or email email@example.com. You can find a copy of the TRIP order form on the Legacy website under “Current Parents” heading, then click on “TRIP”.
Clarification on the new E-Waste Recycling Brigade. Accepted waste includes INKJET cartridges from HP and Canon printers only. This brigade only takes HP and Canon INKJET cartridges, NOT toner cartridges for laser printers. Also accepted are any brand of WORKING or NON-WORKING cell phones, smart phones, iPhones, laptops, notebooks, netbooks, iPads and tablets. (Please note that house/portable phones, chargers, or loose batteries are NOT accepted through this program.)
The supplement brigade has ended. We can no longer accept vitamin or supplement bottles. Please add these to your regular home recycling bin.
The TerraCycle team is looking to add a couple people to our team. Our next shipping date is on Monday, March 18, from 1:00-3:00 pm. If you have any questions or would like to check out the process, come join us at the TerraCycle Center in the elementary. We usually meet only twice a month during the school year and a couple times over the summer months. We would love to see you. Many hands make light work and there are always lots of laughs.
MOMS IN PRAYER
Moms in Prayer will meet THIS Friday, at 8:45 am, in the conference room, right after worship to pray for our student body, school and the following specific staff members: Jamie Andino, Stephanie Veldhouse, Tim Leugs & Naomi Lyzenga.
If at any time you have a prayer request, we'd love to join you in prayer for these things. Please email them to Gina or drop a note in the Moms in Prayer box in either office. Hope to see you there! Questions? Prayer requests? Feel free to email Gina Huizingh: firstname.lastname@example.org.
FAMILIES BEING PRAYED FOR THIS WEEK BY LEGACY CHRISTIAN SCHOOL
Prayer is a powerful gift! LCS has always been able to pray for requests as they arise. Our school has also decided to lift up families weekly in prayer. For the remainder of the school year please read which families are being covered in prayer. During that week each student will receive a prayer tag for them to keep and remember they are being covered in extra prayers.
- Zac Sarna - Marley Sarna - Kdgn
- Jen Mervau - Marley Sarna - Kdgn
Brad & Stacy Meulenberg - Alexander - 8th, Blake - 2nd, Taylor - 1st
- Todd & Kristin Meulenberg - Corbin - Prek
- Ben & Megan Meyering - Lucas - 1st, Elliot - Prek
- Shane & Mandy Miedema - Conner - 7th
- Tim & Sherri Miedema - Derek - 8th
- Jeffrey & Danielle Mier - Shane - 5th, Lorelai - 1st
- Chris & Christina Miller - Addison - 2nd
Join us for some Art Camp fun! Mrs. Sinnema's Art Camp is back this summer. More infomation on the camp and what fun things we will be doing is on the parent Facebook page as well as Mrs. Sinnema's Facebook! Email to sign up at email@example.com. The dates are as follows:
- June 17-21, 5th-8th, 10:00 am-1:00 pm at WC $70
- June 24-28, K-2nd, 9:30 am-11:00 am at Elm $50
- June 24-28, 3rd-4th, 12:00 pm-2:00 pm at Elm $60
SCHS Drama will present the musical Mary Poppins on Thursday, March 14, at 7:00 pm, Friday, March 15, at 7:00 pm, and Saturday, March 16, at 3:00 pm. Tickets will be available on March 1 in the SCHS office or online at https://schstheater.ludus.com/index.php.
The South Christian High School Scrap Metal Drive is being planned for April 19-20. Proceeds will benefit the SCHS Tuition Assistance Fund. Please save your scrap metal (steel, aluminum, copper, brass, etc.), old cars, worn-out farm equipment, tired appliances, used car and equipment batteries, electrical wire and stripped or unstripped copper wire for the drive. Extra manpower and equipment will be available to assist during drop-off at South Christian’s parking lot.
Kentwood AYSO Soccer for boys and girls ages 3-18 years old. Season goes from April 8 to June 1. Register at www.kentwoodayso.org. Any questions email firstname.lastname@example.org. Regular registration ends March 30, 2019.
For their senior project, South Christian seniors Luke Schrotenboer and Carter Hendricks will be offering a free football skills clinic for 5th-8th graders. The clinic will take place from 9:00 am-11:00 am on Saturday, March 16, in the SCHS gym. No pre-registration is required, but students will need to have a parent-signed waiver completed before they can participate. The waiver can be found at: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JWfyW7aeaXdZN4xqa38-kddwq3A-bEdp44yxIB2IzvI/edit?usp=sharing or in the west campus office. Please have students bring the signed waiver the morning of the clinic. If questions, please email Carter (email@example.com) or Luke (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Upcoming Dates and Events
7 Running Club Begins (3:15 pm)
7 Skating Party at Kentwood Fun Spot (6:00-8:00 pm)
8 Stay & Play - Elementary Community Room (8:45-9:45 am)
10 Daylight Saving Time Begins
12 8th Grade Boys Volleyball Tournament at LCS (5:30 pm)
14 Stay & Play - Elementary Community Room (8:45-9:45 am)
19 Legacy Preview Day - (9:00-10:00 am)
22 8th Grade Musical
22 End of 3rd Quarter
25-28 MS Research Week
28 Report Cards Distributed
29 NO SCHOOL - SPRING BREAK BEGINS