By Kevin Kellner
What was Cabrini Green?
- It was home to 15,000 people
- The first building was build in 1942
- It was build a low-rise apartment project for war workers
- It was named Frances Cabrini homes after the first American canonized saint by the Catholic Church.
What were the problems?
- CHA failed to repair building and maintain landscaping as they deteriorated
- Poverty and organized crime have long been associated with the area
- During the worst years of Cabrini-Green problem's, vandalism increased substantially
- Gang members and miscreants covered interior walls with graffiti and damaged doors,windows, and elevators
- Everything was torn down in March 2011