By: Abigail Crowder
- Born in Florence, Italy, 1386. There is not enough information to determine his birthdate.
- He grew up in Florence, and stayed there for most of his life, until he died there in 1466.
- Donato di Niccol
- He devoted his life to making sculpture and teaching students about sculpture.
- Donatello made sculptures. For example, his David, St. Mark, or St. John.
- Was patroned by the Medici family.
"Donatello." Encyclopedia of World Biography. Detroit: Gale, 1998. Gale Biography In Context. Web. 29 Jan. 2013.
- The David was created in 1408, but reworked in 1416.
- This statue is Donatello's depiction of David. This statue is significant because it is the first nude-male, freestanding sculpture.
- I find this statue interesting because it was made of bronze, which was most likely, very difficult to sculpt in the renaissance era.
- Humanism is strongly reflected through this piece of art as it is the shape of an ideal renaissance man.
Donatello. The David. Digital image. Universal Art Images UCS. N.p., n.d. Web. 29 Jan. 2013.