Students & Staffulty of the Month
Students & Staffulty of the Month
ACADEMICS: Baho Herve
ACTIVITIES: Caleb Hale
ACTS OF SERVICE: Sarah Williams
ARTS: Venessa Kudashkin
ATHLETICS: Lauren Baumgartner
ATTENDANCE: Ciera Woody
ATTITUDE: Jackson McEwan
EAGLE PRIDE: Jalen Martin
STAFFULTY: Lucas Younger & Jason Gordon
Thank you Parents for taking the time to call in your student when they are not going to be in attendance! Please remember that any absences not verified within 48 hours will result in a Truancy which could be followed by disciplinary action. You can call absences in at
208-854-4493. Permits to leave must be called in to 208-854-4494 and Thank you Parents for giving us ample time to get those delivered to your students, it is much appreciated. Our student assistants would like at least 1 hours notice for PTL's to be delivered so please make those calls early and we can have your student waiting for you at front of the school!
Annual Inclement Weather Notice to Parents/Guardians
Congratulations to CHS Art Department for winning 1st place at the Festival of Trees
PSAT Scores Available
The PSAT scores will be released to students beginning Monday, Dec. 11, 2017. Students will be able to access their scores on the Collegeboard website. Some students already have an account on Collegeboard; the students who have already looked at their AP scores from last year or their PSAT scores from their sophomore year will have an account.
If a sophomore or junior is having difficulty looking up their scores, they are encouraged to see Mrs. Cupps for assistance.
I encourage students to take a look at all the information available on their PSAT score report, not just the score itself! It will give details as to what questions were answered correctly, what are the student’s strengths and weakness, and it will give them an opportunity to link their scores to the Khan Academy to help them prepare for the next PSAT (for sophomores) and the next SAT (for juniors in April).
Accessing PSAT Scores: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I6f51n3-dc
Understanding your PSAT scores: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i-bOhSzyig
It’s not too late to complete the FAFSA!
Seniors, there’s still time to do the FAFSA (the financial aid form that gets you money for postsecondary education!). The priority deadline for BSU, ISU, College of Idaho, LCSC, CWI and CSI is still in the future but don’t wait too long; get the FAFSA completed before it’s crunch time!
Remember to show Mrs. Cupps an email that shows you have submitted your FAFSA and you will receive a $5 Dutch Bros gift card!
In addition to the FAFSA, don’t forget to complete scholarships. The list on Naviance is getting updated regularly and I encourage students to continue to log in and look at the list. There’s a scholarship for everyone! As January rolls around, more and more local scholarships will be available. Don’t wait until the last minute…look at the list now!
Priority Scholarship Deadlines:
NNU: January 15
BSU, ISU, College of Idaho: February 15
CWI, LCSC, CSI: March 1
College Visits: All visits are at lunch in the Career Center
Dec. 5: BSU
Dec. 6: NNU
Dec. 13: ISU
Dec. 14: TVCC and UI
Military Visits: All visits at lunch in Career Center
Dec. 5: Marines and Army
Dec. 7: Idaho National Guard
Dec. 11: Navy
Dec. 14: Army
Dec. 15: Coast Guard
Dec. 18: Navy
Dec. 19: Marines
We are starting a new tradition at Capital: Alumni Day!
On Tuesday, Dec. 19, Capital will host all alums who would like to come and visit faculty and students. We all know past graduates love to come back on Christmas break to visit with teachers and students. To alleviate disruptions to classes and instructional time, alumni are asked to come to Capital High Career Center to enjoy refreshments and to visit with faculty and students throughout the day, including lunch!
We will have treats available all day in the Career Center.
Contact any teachers to find out when their prep time is so they can be available to visit with you in the Career Center. Please note you are also welcome to visit with staff before or after school.
Martin Luther King Jr. Day
End of 1st Semester - 1/19
1/18 - Secondary End of Semester Testing - Early Release *7-12
1/19 - Secondary End of Semester Testing - Early Release *7-12
Test Schedule will be e-mailed home closer to the 17th of January
Yearbooks for sale
Talon Media Group/Capital High School 8055 Goddard Boise, Idaho 83704
(208) 854-4498 Email:email@example.com Hours 7:30-3:30 p.m.
December 1, 2017
Dear Parents and Guardians,
Have you been thinking about the perfect Christmas gift for your son or daughter? If you have not reserved a yearbook for them yet,*
NOW IS THE TIME!
Last chance to purchase at the lowest price of the year at $55!
Price goes up to $60 on DECEMBER 22 (The first day of winter break!)
Then up to $65 after March 1, 2018.
Orders must be placed in our Business Office or online or postmarked
by DECEMBER 21 to get the $55 price!!
We have a long history of selling out our extra books very quickly! We cannot guarantee a copy for your son or daughter unless you reserve one.
TO RESERVE A COPY OF THE 2017-2018 TALON YEARBOOK:
Pick one option:
- Call Mrs. Tammy Bush at 854 4498 to place credit card order.
- Take cash or check made out to CHS TALON to Business Office at CHS.
- Purchase online:
- Google: “Capital High School web store” and go to “general”
4. Complete this form. Enclose this form and a check for $55
made out to CHS TALON in an envelope and mail to:
Business Office Attn: Tammy Bush
Capital High School
Boise, ID 83704
Please fill in: Student’s Name____________________
Student’s grade _____
Your name ______________________
Please write your student’s name on the MEMO line on your check.
*If you are not sure if you have reserved a yearbook yet, please call Mrs. Bush at 208-854-4498 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm the purchase. Thank you!
The Talon yearbook staff appreciates your support!!
Golden Eagle Booster Club Upcoming Events & Reminders
Check out the following news items from your Golden Eagle Booster Club.
1) Capital Cares Fund – The booster club is coordinating a gift card campaign to provide our social worker with additional resources (food, clothing, gas, hygiene products, etc.) for our students and their families. Capital High has approximately 50% of its students receiving free/reduced meals. In addition, our school has an average of 30-35 homeless youth each year, many having to be self supporting and living on their own. If you can help, please sign up http://signup.com/go/SgPqCGd for a card or two and bring them to the school's main office by Friday, December 8. Your donations are tax deductible.
2) SAVE THE DATE – The booster club will be hosting its inaugural Gold and Black Gala on Friday, March 16, 2018, at the new Boise Centre East, as a fundraising event for the school. We will be recognizing three distinguished alumni at the dinner gala and are accepting nominations through December 31, 2017. If you would like more information about the event, the nomination form, or would like to be part of the planning committee or make a donation for the auction, please send a message to email@example.com.
3) Spirit Wear - The booster club will be selling spirit wear at the following girls’ and boys’ basketball games: December 7, December 12, and January 2. If you would like to be a part of the spirit wear volunteer team, please send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
4) Fred Meyer's Community Rewards Program - Family and friends of Capital High School can support our fundraising efforts by linking their Fred Meyer Rewards Card to the booster club’s account (NPO # 90095) at www.fredmeyer.com/communityrewards. The booster club will receive a donation when you shop using your Rewards Card, and you will still earn your rewards points, fuel points, and rebates. Check the bottom of your Fred Meyer receipt to confirm that you have linked your card to our account. We currently have only 20 households participating in this program with us. Please link your rewards card to the booster club’s account today.
Youth Government Information
Youth Government/Political Action Club recently attended the Frank Church Conference on Refugees, Immigration, and National Security at Boise State University. Fourteen students received tickets to the luncheon where Anne C. Richard, former Assistant Secretary of State for Population, Refugees, and Migration was the keynote speaker.
On December 5, thirty club members will attend the Idaho Youth Government Regional Conference at BSU where they will elect state officers and receive training in bill writing and compete in a Co-Counsel competition.
Senior American Government Test Information
Band Concert Dates
December 12th - Band Winter Concert. 7pm at Capital
December 19th - Choir Holiday Concert. 7pm at Capital
Choir & Orchestra Event
Choir and Orchestra Combined Holiday Concert Tuesday, December 19 at 7:00 p.m. in the Capital High School auditorium. The event is free, but donations are accepted at the door.
5th Annual Daddy Daughter Dance Save the Date February 17th 7-9 pm, $5.00 per person
Our students made Capital proud, and here are the highlights:
Katie Lotz--3rd place in Editorial Commentary
Robbie Spiers--Double Octafinalist Varsity Lincoln Douglas Debate
Rachel Edmondson--Octafinalist JV Lincoln Douglas Debate; 5th best speaker in JV LD
Taylor Hanberg--Octafinalist JV Lincoln Douglas Debate
Drew Holstein--Octafinalist JV Lincoln Douglas Debate
Robert Bratley--finalist Congressional Debate
We will be taking the next few weeks off to enjoy the holiday and break. Our season continues on December 8th and 9th at Columbia High.
Swim Team News
Congratulations to the Girls' and Boys' Swim Teams for a great job at State! The Girls' Team finished 13th out of 21 teams. The Boys' Team finished 5th out of 21 teams. The Boys's relays also placed 3rd in both the 200 and 400 Free Relays. Paul Shutt finished 2nd in the 200 freestyle and Culley Shannon finished 2nd in the 100 breaststroke. Special recognition to seniors Dani Rooney, Culley Shannon, and Elliott McCloskey for four years of swimming and finishing out a great swimming career.
Want to join the swim team? Look for information about next year in the Spring!
Capital Athletic Website