Cheltenham SD Weekly News Share
Friday, January 15
REMINDER: SCHOOLS & OFFICES CLOSED ON MONDAY
CSD CELEBRATES MLK DAY 2016
Cheltenham Elementary: 9:00 am - 12:00 pm, CE Cafetorium
- CE PTO is sponsoring "Socks and Snacks" which will be donated to a local homeless shelter. Student volunteers will be preparing non-perishable, snacks and socks packets for the homeless. These much needed items will be tied with a ribbon and sealed with love
Glenside Elementary: 9:00 am - 11:00 am, GE Cafetorium
- GE PTO is sponsoring "Spread the Love" craft bags for children who are hospitalized in local childrens' hospitals.
Myers Elementary: 10:00 am - 11:00 am, ME Cafeteria
- Mr. Tahaney MLK Story and Discussion
- Assembling Breakfast Bags for "Aid for Friends"
- Meals assembled for donation
- A collection for the Ronald McDonald House Foundation
- Students will create "I Have a Dream" banners/posters with MLK handprints for
Wyncote Elementary: 9:30 am - 12:00 pm, WE Cafeteria
- Student readings, Power Point presentation and video
- Sorting and packing donations for two area family homeless shelters and Cradles to Crayons
Elkins Park School: 10 am - 1 pm, EP Auditorium and Cafeteria
- A performance by our very own EP Thunder!
- An animated recitation of MLK’s “I Have A Dream” speech
- An uplifting rendition of “Lift Ev’ry Voice and Sing” directed by Mr. Moran
- Bagging hygienic supplies
- Donation collection of hats/gloves
- Creating “Sunshine” cards for the residents of nursing home
- Sorting donated clothing by size
- cleaning EP Auditorium chairs
- Picking up trash around the EP campus (weather permitting)
- Creating thank you cards for our local police, fire & EMS staff
Cedarbrook Middle School: 9:00 am - 11:00 am, CBK West Cafeteria.
- National Junior Honor Society students will prepare 400 packets of flashcards for the incoming Kindergarten class of 2016-2017. These fun-filled packets will be given out during our Kindergarten registration in the Spring.
Cheltenham High School: 8:00 am-2:00 pm, Martin Luther King High School located at 6100 Stenton Avenue Philadelphia, PA 19138.
- cleaning out storage areas
- painting walls and doors
- reading stories to young children
- playing games and coloring
REMINDER: K-12 EARLY DISMISSAL ON WEDNEDSAY, JANUARY 20
EARLY DISMISSAL TIMESK-4: 2:45 pm
Elkins Park School: 2:12 pm
Cedarbrook Middle School: 2:03 pm
Cheltenham High School :1:45 pm
UPCOMING SCHOOL BOARD COMMITTEE MEETING
Educational Affairs Committee
Tuesday, Jan. 19th, 6:30pm
2000 Ashbourne Road, Elkins Park PA 19027 (Admin. Bldg. Room 119)
CHS Course Proposals
Special Education Update: Part 1
Strategic Planning Update
This meeting is open to the public
OFFICE OF STUDENT SERVICES ANNOUNCEMENTS
New Staff Members
The Office of Student Services welcomes Ms. Ana Ramirez, as the District Registrar/Residency Specialist, and Ms. Kate Shevlin, as Secretary. Ms. Ramirez will oversee the registration process for students entering grades K-12 and residency referrals. Ms. Shevlin will provide clerical and secretarial support to the department. Ms. Ramirez is the former Myers Elementary School Secretary and Ms. Shevlin served as the Receptionist/District Registrar at the School District of Springfield Township. Welcome Ms. Ramirez and Ms. Shevlin!
Youth Mental Health and Wellness Workshop
The Office of Student Services is sponsoring a workshop for parents/guardians entitled “Supporting the Holistic Needs of Our Students – A Discussion on Youth Mental Health and Wellness”, Wednesday, January 27, 6-8 pm, Administration Building, Room 102. Presenters Ms. Tory Bright, Director, Regional Mental Health Services Office, Dr. Nicole Warren, School Psychologist, and Ms. Jane Donahue, School Counselor, Cheltenham School District, will provide an overview regarding Youth Mental Health First Aid Training.
Youth Mental Health First Aid Training is a nationally recognized, evidenced-based curriculum designed to provide members of the public with the skills needed to support youth experiencing mental health challenges. Workshop attendees will learn about the signs and symptoms of youth mental illness, how to connect youth and their families with the appropriate professional resources and how to assist youth with self-care.
CHELTENHAM HIGH SCHOOL AP TEST REGISTRATION NOW OPEN FOR STUDENTS
Please click on the following link to access important Cheltenham High School AP test registration information
AP TEST REGISTRATION PORTAL
ENVISION MATH PRESENTATION NOW AVAILABLE ONLINE
If you were unable to attend the orientation sessions presented by math supervisor Gerald Aungst and Implementation Specialist Lisa Garrison, a recording is now available on the district website: http://www.cheltenham.org/district.cfm?subpage=1437555.
Along with the recording, we have provided links to download all of the slides, handouts, and materials shared at the presentation.
Mr. Aungst and Mrs. Garrison are also planning more presentations in the future about the math content being taught in various grade levels. We will share more information when details and dates are finalized.