Week of 9/20/2021
.... It's a GREAT place to be!
Birmingham Covington Schools (BCS)
Office Hours: 7:45 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
9/20/21 - Week's Events
*denotes more information provided below
- New BCS Cell Phone Policy Begins* Please see the administrative update below for additional information.
- BCS Pride Meeting 4:15-5:00 p.m.
- Picture Day
- 7/8 Grade Curriculum Night 6-8:45 p.m.
- Thursday 9/30, Welcome Back Event Sponsored by the BCS PTA
- Friday 10/1, Half Day for Students in a.m. Professional Development for Teachers in p.m.
All School News
Greetings, BCS Families!
As we communicated this week, we will be starting a new cellular phone policy on Monday, September 20. We appreciate the support from many of our BCS families as we implement the new policy which we believe will help our students focus on their primary school responsibility: learning. Beginning Monday, we ask that all students keep their cellular devices in their lockers for the duration of the school day- from the start of the day (8:18 AM) to the end of the school day (3:20 or 4:10 PM, depending on Choice Hour). As we communicated earlier this week, if a student is using a device during the school day, we will secure the device and request a parent meeting with the student, parent, and assistant principal. Should this become an ongoing occurrence, the student may no longer have the option of bringing a cellular device to school.
As we know, we are enjoying the great privilege of being back in school in person. We all know too well what was lost when we did not have that opportunity. When used inappropriately, technology and social media yield unfortunate consequences. We want parents to be aware of a new nationwide TikTok trend called 'Devious Lick,' which encourages students to vandalize school bathrooms and post the damage for the world to see. Linked is more information about this unsettling trend. We are saddened to report that today we did have to close one of our bathrooms due to damage incurred, and our building engineer is working to restore the damaged sinks and toilet.
This kind of behavior will not be supported or tolerated at BCS. It is not a reflection of our broader BCS community who work daily & in good faith to help maintain our school as a clean, healthy, and engaging learning environment for all members of this community. Students involved in this kind of behavior will receive consequences in accordance with our district's Student Code of Conduct. Again, we share the following resource site from Common Sense Media, which helps parents navigate several topics around appropriate technology and social media use for children, tweens, and teens. Please see the "Parents Need to Know" tab for all sorts of helpful tools. As always, we appreciate your support and partnership and know we can count on your help reiterating this important message to our BCS students.
Yours in BCS solidarity,
Dr. Hakim & Mr. Hill
- Welcome Back (Rescheduled!!): Thursday, September 30th from 4:30-7:30pm.
We are looking for parents to help fill the following open PTA Positions: One Room Parent for Cook/Lowery, Joseph/Warner and Parkin classrooms. We already have one Room Parent for each of these classrooms but we would like another to assist them. We also need two PROUD DADs to help volunteer to coordinate the Lunch with your Child Days.
- Families….Please update your *Directory* information. If you are a new family, all contact info needs to be entered in Membership Toolkit. All existing families need to review and confirm your contact info in Membership Toolkit. We are waiting to print and distribute the Directory until then. You can still purchase a Printed Directory for $10 on MTK.
- Have you joined the PTA?? Your membership and Direct Donation helps benefit your childen’s learning. Did you know that the PTA is trying to support $54,000 worth of Curriculum Enrichment this school year? Your donations pay for these programs!! Log into your Membership Toolkit account: http://bcspta.membershiptoolkit.com/
- Having trouble accessing Membership Toolkit? Please contact Donna Kramer at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- PTA Membership Thermometer is hanging near the front door. Currently 59% of our families have joined the PTA. Lets try to reach 100%!!
- The next PTA Clearinghouse Meeting is Thursday October 7th at 1:15pm via Zoom. All parents are welcome to join us! Previous Meeting Minutes can be read on the BCS Website/PTA including Superintendent Dr. Roberson comments.
Schools Offer Support Helps BPS Families
The second annual Strides for SOS 5K and 1 Mile Run/Walk will take place Sunday, September 26, 2021 at Seaholm High School. Schools Offer Support (SOS) is a nonprofit organization that provides volunteer services, financial, and other support to families throughout the Birmingham Public Schools community. This is the largest fundraiser of the year for SOS!
The top 3 schools with the most participation will earn a cash award for their school's Community Council.
The school that takes first place will also win the Golden Shoe Award trophy to display for a year with bragging rights. BCS is currently in 3rd place - behind Pierce and Seaholm! LET’S WIN THIS, BCS! Register today!
Birmingham Physical Education 5th Grade Run!
Media Center Notes
- FAQs: When does your class come down for checkout? What can you do in the library? What does the library curriculum cover? Get the basics on the BCS Library 2021-22 offerings here.
- Birthday Book Club: Celebrate your child’s birthday in a special way and help our library collection continue to grow! If you choose to participate in the program, your child will be invited to select a new book from our Birthday Book Club cart on or near your child’s birthday (summer birthdays will celebrated during the month of their half birthday). Inside the book we will place a bookplate with your child’s name, photo, and birthday. If you are interested in joining, complete the Birthday Book Club registration form and return it along with the $15 (per child) donation to the BCS Library. Make checks payable to BCS.
Announcements from Chartwells
BCS is going cashless:
With Send Money to School, families can add money to their children's meal accounts from home or work. You can eliminate the risk of lost checks, lost cash or playground thievery. Conveniently deposit money, check balances, see what your children are eating, and more. SendMoneyToSchool.com even allows you to transfer funds, set parental controls such as spending limits, pay fees, pay fines, and buy school merchandise quickly and easily. With your help, we can make the BCS lunch line a smooth, fast and sanitary process.
If students would like to continue to make a cash payments, the student can find Mr. Allen in the cafeteria during breakfast.
Friends of Different Learners: Meeting Announcement
Attention all students! Want to be part of a fun club dedicated to making B C S a safe space for everyone?
Join BCS Pride! We meet every Tuesday 4:15-5pm in Room 600B. Email Mr. Joe for more information: email@example.com
BCS Choice Hour
- Choice Hour runs daily from 3:20-4:10pm
- Busses come AFTER Choice Hour
Choice Hour Schedules
Schedules are available online listed by Student ID number HERE.
Updated class lists will also be given to the teachers weekly while we process choice hour changes. The master schedule is also posted on the Choice Hour Board in the main hall. Our teachers do a great job of acclimating our students to Choice Hour the first few weeks!
Choice Hour Changes
The change period for Quarter I is over. Changes will be published on the public schedule no later than Monday September 13.
Reporting a Choice Hour Absence
Email BCSChoicehour@birmingham.k12.mi.us or leave a message at 248.203.4625
Questions? Contact Courtney Bassett at BCSChoicehour@birmingham.k12.mi.us
BCS Spirit Wear - Orders due September 20th
New Covington Spirit Wear is now available to order! Shop the awesome new designs by heading to the online store. All Spirit Wear proceeds go directly to your BCS PTA. All orders are due by September 20th. If you have any questions contact Hollie Murray at firstname.lastname@example.org. Show your BCS spirit! We’ll notify you when you items are available for pickup at Bloomfield Sports Shop at 3594 W Maple Rd, Bloomfield Hills. If you prefer delivery to your home, the site allows for a flat delivery charge.
If the BCS Clinic needs to house medication for your student, please drop it off in the Front Office. Be sure you have an updated Permission to Administer form and Action Plan. These forms need to have a physician's signature. Contact Joni Say Gan at JSaygan@birmingham.k12.mi.us with any questions.
Early Dismissal Procedures
Please review these procedures to help keep your students and school safe.
- Buzz the front door
- Enter building and sign out student
- Show ID
- Student will be called to office
- Will be released after the office staff calls the teacher
- Student will be sent to the office
- Student will be released to the parent
STUDENT IS NOT ALLOWED TO LEAVE CLASS UNTIL PARENT IS HERE. STUDENTS MUST BE SIGNED OUT IN THE OFFICE. STUDENTS CANNOT EXIT THROUGH ANY OTHER DOOR.
No Early Dismissal after 3:00 p.m
Other Helpful Resource Links...
We are here to help support your child academically, socially and emotionally during this time. If you would like to request a counseling appointment for your son or daughter, just email his or her counselor using the contact information below. Your counselor will then respond in order to set up an appointment.
Please keep us updated if we can be of any help at this time.
Your BCS Counselors,
Karen Kohler - Last Names A-K (email@example.com) and
Jenny Wagner - Last Names L-Z (firstname.lastname@example.org)
If students are having trouble logging in to Schoology or if they found that upon entering, there were no classes, please contact the Help Desk at HelpDesk@birmingham.k12.mi.us or at (248) 203-3123.
Schoology Parent Introduction:
You should have received more information about Schoology, our learning management system. Please review the attached district resources for additional Schoology information.
Note: Your child's teachers will provide class-specific guidance to students/families as they begin to integrate Schoology's features in their courses.
Parent & Student Schoology Reference Page
Check out the Student Schoology Reference page! This document will provide students and parents with instructions on setting up their Schoology account, navigating Schoology, and performing everyday tasks in courses. This reference sheet may provide helpful resources for you to use to help your students become proficient with Schoology.