FIRST GRADE NEWS
December 10, 2015
Dear 1st Grade Star Parents,
A few notes:
- Culture Homework - due no later than Monday, Dec. 14th. You should have received an email from your child's teacher with directions and attachments.
- MAP Testing: We will finish the Reading MAP tomorrow. We will discuss the results of both the Math and Reading MAP with you at our winter conferences. This date is still to be determined.
- Genre Reading Challenge: Each Friday (12/11, 12/18) please send your child's white sheet titled "40 Books in 40 Days/Genre Reading Challenge" to school. Every Friday, each class will count the number of books read which will be displayed on the library windows.
- Ever-Changing Weather!: Please keep an eye on the weather forecasts. We will continue to go outside even if the temperature may seem a little "chilly". Also, please remember to write your child's name in their jacket just in case it is misplaced while they are at school.
- Friday, December 18th - EARLY RELEASE AT NOON
- Math- We are done MAP testing. We are continuing to practice strategies for adding and subtracting numbers. Our geometry unit will begin soon.
- Language Arts/Social Studies-This week we have focused instruction on main idea and details of a story or expository. We will finish the Reading MAP tomorrow. In Social Studies, we have been discussing and sharing various parts of our cultures. Each of us is similar and different in many ways. Each of us is unique!
- Science- We have begun our "Healthy Me" unit and are learning about how to be safe and healthy. The children are creating little people to illustrate what they are learning.
The holiday party is coming up soon. It will be on Friday December 18th and the grade coordinators and rooms parents have been getting busy setting up plans and buying supplies for all the grades
The parties are from 9:00am-10:00am.
If you are interested in volunteering for the party please contact/email the following people by Friday December 11th, so that they can plan better: In your email please also mention your child's teacher so that we can get the correct count. You can email Candace Renwick at firstname.lastname@example.org .
- December 7-11: Reading MAP testing
- Monday, December 14: Culture Homework is due.
- December 18th: Spirit Assembly, Winter Party, and Early Release at noon
- December 21-January 4: Winter Break
- Tuesday, January 5-School resumes