Principal's Corner #26
February 24, 2019
Read Across America
Read Across America
During our last Principal Advisory Committee (PAC) meeting, the committee determined that we would celebrate Read Across America by having school wide pajama day on Friday March 1st. In addition, our entire school will Drop Everything and Read at 2:30. I encourage everyone to Drop Everything and Read for the last 15 minutes of the school day. If you have questions, please see one of the members of the PAC.
Cherry Creek Reads: Read Together, Wonder Together
CCSD will also celebrate Cherry Creek Reads: Read Together, Wonder Together in all schools the week of March 11-15.
Why: To create a focus on Cherry Creek Reads to provide opportunities inclusive of our community of readers.
What: Encourage reading!
How: Through an initiative to encourage within students the capacity to reason, to form decisions based on intelligent analysis, to communicate, and to live compassionately with one another through reading. Illinois-3
- "One Book" to support annual theme: 2019 Theme is "Read Together, Wonder Together"
- 2019 book is Out of Wonder by Kwame Alexander (I will provide each classroom teacher with one copy of this book.)
- During the week of March 11-15, every K-12 classroom will commit to 66 minutes of reading (66 represents the number of schools in CCSD)
- Complete the "Currently Reading, Just Finished Reading" template that will be provided to you, and place it outside of your classroom/office door no later than Monday, March 11th.
For 3rd-5th Grade Teachers: RE Sleep Survey
In the February 4th PC, I shared information regarding the Sleep Survey that is administered to all 3rd-5th graders. Since then, I have emailed the teachers who have students whose parents have opted them out of the survey. Please work together as teams to determine the best way for your grade levels to administer this survey. Below are some of the frequently asked questions along with answers regarding the sleep survey. If you have any other questions, please ask. Thank you!
Sleep Survey Frequently Asked Questions
When will students take the survey?
The survey window is 2/25-3/8. Students can take the survey during whatever class period works best for your school. They do not need to all take it on the same day or at the same time. Because of the daylight savings time switch on March 10th, all surveys must be completed by March 8th.
How will students access the survey?
An email will be sent to students’ CCSD outlook address at 7:30 a.m. on February 25th. In case you need to search for the email, it will be titled “Cherry Creek Schools Student Start Times Survey”.
How long with the survey take?
Last year, 90% of students completed the survey in 24 minutes or less.
Who will take the survey?
All students at middle and high school and all 3rd-5th grade students at elementary. The only exceptions to this are students who are new to the district as of 2/7 and students whose parents have opted them out of the survey.
How will I hear about students who have been opted out?
School principals and any person they have designated to receive information about the survey will receive an email on February 22nd indicating whether they have any students who have been opted out
What if a student has already taken the survey?
Because the students receive an email with the survey link, this is a possibility. Please just give the student an alternate activity to do while other students complete the survey.
Survey Introduction for students: Feel free to use this language to administer the survey to our students.
Our district began last school year with new start times. We made this change so that all students in elementary, middle, and high school had the chance to get enough sleep. Because we want to know how the new start times have impacted our students, parents and staff, we are asking you to complete a short survey about your sleep, daily habits, and wellbeing. We will compare the results with similar surveys given last year and before the start times changed. There are no right or wrong answers to these questions. Please be honest in your responses. Your input is very important to us, so thank you for taking the time today to complete the survey.
Yearbook Photos Needed
Do you have photos that would be great for the yearbook? If so, please share them with Caren Berger through one of the ways below.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Google drive: email@example.com
- Tree Ring: She can add you into the program quickly.
If you have any questions, let me know. Thank you!
If you are unable to make your scheduled duty, please be sure to coordinate coverage. Thank you!
SpEd Collaboration Day is this week!
Our next SpEd Collaboration day on Tuesday, February 26th. We appreciate your flexibility this year as we revamp our meetings so they are more meaningful for all of us. Please take time to review the agenda below.
1. Upcoming Events (i.e. field trips, testing, etc.)
2. Upcoming IEP mtgs
4. CMAS Accommodations
5. Modified classwork
6. Conferences and report cards
7. Review of personnel schedules
Equity Meeting is this Wednesday at 3:00 in the innovation space.
Upcoming Testing Windows
CMAS: March 25-April 19
CCSD Common 5th Grade Assessment: March March 4-15
Other Important Dates
- Monday, February 25: Katie and Ashley out in the PM
- Tuesday, February 26: Battle of the Books Semi-Finals, Heritage ES 4-5:30PM
- Tuesday, February 26: SpEd Collaboration Day
- Thursday, February 28: Jump Rope for Heart (during specials)
- Thursday, February 28: Katie out in the AM
- Thursday, February 28 and Friday, March 1: Ashley out all day
- Saturday, March 2: DI Tournament, Grandview HS
- Monday, March 4-Friday, March 8: Conference Week - More information to come.
- Monday, March 8
- Thursday, March 7 and Friday, March 8: Non-Contact Day
- Monday, March 11: Class Picture Day
- Monday, March 11: Battle of the Books Finals, Cottonwood, 4-5:30PM
- Tuesday, March 12: Katie and Ashley out in the AM
- Wednesday, March 13: Katie out in the AM
- Wednesday, March 13: School Accountability Meeting, 6-7pm Innovation Space
- Thursday, March 14: Ashley out all day
- Thursday, March 14: 3rd Grade Program, 6:30PM
- Friday, March 15: Katie and Ashley out all day
- Monday, March 18-Friday, March 22: SPRING BREAK
- March 27: 1st-5th Grade Supply Lists due to Katie
- MARCH 29: SOCK HOP