Armstrong High School Weekly Update
Week Of May 18, 2015 to May 22, 2015 (Wk35)
"Inspiring Excellence @ 212 Degrees”
- Lesson Plans are non-negotiable – Lesson plans must be submitted weekly using the new RPS format – UBD model – Lesson plans are a clear picture of Teaching and Learning opportunities in your class
- Reminder to all teachers - please ensure that you are using your Daily Attendance Logs to keep documentation of your back up attendance.
- Don't forget to return to Ms. Blount your daily inspirational thought to be read over the announcements. Feel free to submit multiple thoughts of inspiration!
- Implementation of the 5-5-5 Parent Call Log has begun – Please see Mrs. Carter if you need additional information
Teachers are reminded that Daily Attendance is to be taken in ASPEN within the first 15 minutes of class each period. Using the Daily Attendance Logs is not an option, it is mandated per the Code of Virginia - § 22.1-259.
To ensure we get the most benefit out of this initiative, please keep in mind the following reminders:
- Tickets are to be handed out only to those students who have arrived to their first period of the day on time.
- Do not give out tickets for any other reason. This is strictly an attendance incentive, behavior/academic rewards can be done separately at the teacher’s discretion.
- Do not allow students to leave class to deposit attendance tickets, they should only be deposited during hall passing.
- Please remind students to write their names on the back of each ticket. (yes, some will still forget, we know..)
Like any system, consistency and continuity are key. It's important that we have 100% compliance on this. If you have a 1st or 2nd period class, please participate fully, anything less will greatly reduce the effectiveness of this program.
If you need more tickets (or never received them in the first place) please let Mr. Carvalhaes know ASAP.
SOL COMPUTER PREPARATION
All computer systems (including laptops) that are used during SOL testing should be turned on and logged into the RPS network for no less than 3 days and 4 hours each day/every week.
Laptops need to be removed from the carts, powered on and remain opened. A manual restart is needed to ensure the updates have taken place.
Stationary labs need a manual restart a minimum of twice a week. These devices are always powered on and connected to the network; however, the manual restart finalizes the completion of the updates. In order to reach all devices in a timely method, all required updates will be handled in this order.
Your time and effort are always appreciated. Thank you again for your very important part in the testing of the district’s children.
Strengthening the Craft of Teaching and Learning
"100 and 80" days to make a difference in the lives of our students @ 212 Degrees "Taming Your SOLs"
Monday – May 18, 2015
Pds. 8 (3 hours class period as explained in previous email), 6, and 7
Business Workkeys Remediation and testing
After School Tutoring 7th period classes that test on tomorrow ---Parentlink message sent out to all students (snacks provided - 4:30 p.m. bus departure)
Please make sure you are entering online attendance in the "attendance tab" and not the "daily attendance" tab in ASPEN
Turn in a copy of your class attendance logs to Mr. Carvalhaes by close of business day today - in an effort to look for student absences without disturbing classes
Tuesday – May 19, 2015
Pds. 7, 1, 8
7th Pd.EOC Exam
After School Tutoring 8th period classes that test on tomorrow ---Parentlink message sent out to all students (snacks provided - 4:30 p.m. bus departure)
Armstrong hosts the first round of the Conference 26 Girls' Tennis Tournament at 4:00 p.m.
Wildcat Soccer and Softball travel to Henrico for 6:00 p.m. contests.
Leadership Team Meeting - 2:15 p.m - 3:15 p.m. Large Conference Room --
Wednesday – May 20, 2015
Pds. 8, 6, 1
8th Pd.EOC Exam
After School Tutoring 1st period classes that test on tomorrow ---Parentlink message sent out to all students (snacks provided - 4:30 p.m. bus departure)
Armstrong hosts the second round of the Conference 26 Girls' Tennis Tournament at 4:00 p.m.
Wildcat Track competes in the Conference 26 Pole Vault at Prince George HS at 4:30 p.m.
Wildcat Soccer travels to Hanover for a 5:30 p.m. match
Thursday – May 14, 2015
Pds. 1, 5, 6
1st Pd.EOC Exam
After School Tutoring 6th period classes that test on tomorrow ---Parentlink message sent out to all students (snacks provided - 4:30 p.m. bus departure)
Wildcat Track competes in the Conference 26 Outdoor Track Field Event at Petersburg HS at 4:30 p.m.
Faculty Meeting - 2:20 p.m. Room 211
Friday – May 22, 2015
Pds. 6, 1, 7
6th Pd.EOC Exam
Wildcat Track competes in the Conference 26 Outdoor Track Running Event at Petersburg HS at 4:30 p.m.
Wildcat Soccer hosts George Wythe at 6:00 p.m.
Saturday – May 23, 2015
Questions, Comments, Concerns? Please email me at your earliest convenience.
As always, thank you for all of your hard work and for continuing to Inspire Excellence for all of our students!
Although this document has been sent out on multiple occasions, this button has been added so that you can conveniently link to the document when needed.
Button Linking to our Lesson Plan Self-Evaluation Rubric. Questions, Comments, Concerns? Contact your Department Chair, Cluster Administrator, or Principal for support!
AHS 2014 Quick Glance Document to assist in finding your students' previous SOL scores
Concerns and Updates
- Are your lesson plans updated and outside of your door?
- Lesson Planning Training – please sign up for additional support
- Senior Awards Ceremony - 5-28-15 - 2:30 p.m.
Last day of School for Seniors - June 5, 2015
ALTRIA THEATER - Monday, June 8, 2015 COMMENCEMENT REHEARSALS
- Commencement - Tuesday, June 9, 2015 - 3:00 p.m. Armstrong
- Please be mindful of the students that rotate out of your class with or without a pass. All students must be given a pass to exit your classroom. Hall walkers should not be given an exit ticket out of your room.
- It is imperative that the Faculty and Staff adhere to all due dates and meeting times.
- Make sure student attendance is taken in every class.
- Please make sure you are honoring the 30/30 time frame.
- All teachers are expected to stand at their door during the change of class.
- Please encourage students to move along quickly. We all must communicate the same message to these young people.
- Thank you for all of your hard work!