CHS Guidance Update
* SAT Workshop will be held on Saturday, September 19th from 8 am to 4 pm in the Tukey Theater at USC Upstate. The workshop is free, but you must purchase the practice book for $12 which contains 10 practice tests. The workshop is recommended for juniors and seniors who have already taken the SAT but wish to increase their scores. Email Melissa Deloach at email@example.com by Friday, September 11th.
* Want College? SC Test Prep is offereing free college counseling workshops for families and students. Topics include College Search, Applications/Admissions and Financial Aid. Please see sctestprep.com for locations, dates and times.
* Remind will help you stay up to date with Guidance News. Please text 81010 @chsgu to sign up.
*Google Classroom for Guidance has been launched! This is another great way to stay up to date and have tons of resources at you fingertips. Visit www.google.com/classroom and enter the class code of nkikpk.
* Virtual SC offers free test prep for PSAT, SAT, ACT and AP exams. The reviews were developed by Shmoop, a digital curriculum tesp prep company. Go to the Virtual SC website at https://virtualsc.org/myvsc/test-prep/.
* Exploring College Options - Duke, Georgetown, Harvard, Penn and Stanford will host an Admissions Information Session on Monday, Sept. 27th at 7:30 pm at Greenville Marriott, One Parkway East, Greenville, SC 29615. RSVP at www.exploringcollegeoptions.org.
* Washington University in St. Louis is hosting an Admissions Information Session on Sunday, October 4th at the Greenville Marriott from 4-5 pm. No reservation is needed. For additional information, please call at (800)638-0700 or (314)935-6000 or visit admissions.wustl.edu.
* College Application Day will be Friday, October 9th! All seniors will fill out at least one online college application. Many application fees will be waived on this day.
* Davidson College Multicultural Visitation Program Nov. 1-3 Davidson College will select 35 students to participate in this weekend. Direct expenses will be covered by Davidson College for the selected students. Students must apply online at https://admission.davidson.edu/register/mvp. Direct questions to Davidson College Admissions at 800-768-0380. Deadline: Sept. 18th.
* Check out College Open House Dates for our area colleges!
The following have approaching deadlines:
Berea College Pinnacle Scholars of Excellence Award recognizes seniors that demonstrate significant accomplishments in either science, music or service. Information is available at www.berea.edu/pinnaclescholars. Students interested in being nominated should see Mrs. Canada by Sept. 16.
Clemson University Lyceum Scholarship ($2,500) A scholarship for students interested in becoming a part of a cohort dedicated to exploring the moral , political, and economic foundations in society. Apply at clemson.edu/capitalism/lyceum.html. Deadline: May 1.
Frankie Altman Memorial Scholarship: ($500 yearly) This scholarship for female seniors is sponsored by the Alpha Beta Chapter of Alpha Delta Kappa. The applicants must be pursuing a career in the field of education. Applications are available in Guidance. Deadline: Nov. 30th.
Davidson College Bryan Scholarship: This scholarship is for outstanding senior athletes planning to play a sport for Davidson College (excludes men and women's basketball and football). Students interested must be nominated by CHS. Please see Mrs. Canada if you would like to be considered. Deadline: Sept. 16th.
Davidson College John Montgomery Belk Scholarship: This scholarship is for outstanding seniors interested in attending Davidson College. Students will be selected based on integrity, intellectual enthusiasm, excellence, global awareness, and leadership ability and potential. Students interested must be nominated by CHS. Please see Mrs. Canada if you would like to be considered. Deadline: Oct. 5th.
Horatio Alger Scholarship: This scholarship is for seniors who demonstrate financial need (family income less than $55,000) and have worked to overcome some adversity in their lives. Applications must be submitted online at www.horatioalger.org/scholarships. Deadline: Oct. 25th.
The Jefferson Scholarship at the University of Virginia: This scholarship is for seniors who are interested in attending the University of Virginia and exhibit exceptional leadership and scholarship. CHS may only nominate one student. Please see Mrs. Canada if you would like to be considered. Deadline: Oct. 26th
UNC Charlotte Levine Scholars Program: This scholarship is for students interested in attending UNC Charlotte and demonstrate exceptional academics, community service and capacity for ethical leadership. Information is available online at http://levinescholars.uncc.edu. Students must be nominated by CHS. Students interested in being nominated should see Mrs. Canada. Deadline: Oct. 1st.
Playing With Purpose Scholarship Program: ($2,000) This scholarship is for athletes in grades 10-12 that compete at the varsity level. Student must maintain a "C" average or higher and be a committed follower of Jesus Christ. To apply online visit www.playingwithpurpose.org. Deadline: Feb. 1st.
Prudential Spirit of Community Award: This award is for students in grades 10-12 who have made a difference in their communities by volunteering. Students can win $1,000 and visit Washington D.C. Apply online at http://spirit.prudential.com. Mrs. Canada (firstname.lastname@example.org) will be your certify your application.
SC Teaching Fellows: (Up to $24,000) This scholarship is for residents of SC intending to major in education. Students must attend one of the twelve Teaching Fellow Institutions: Anderson University, Charleston Southern University, Coastal Carolina University, College of Charleston, Columbia College, Francis Marion University, Lander University, Newberry College, USC Aiken, USC Columbia, USC Upstate, or Winthrop University. Students must apply online at http://www.cerra.org/teachingfellows. Deadline: Dec. 1st.
Washington University in St. Louis Danforth Scholar Program: This scholarship is for students interested in UNC Charlotte that demonstrate outstanding academic performance, commitment to community service and high moral character. Information is available by email email@example.com. Students must be nominated by CHS. Students interested in being nominated should see Mrs. Canada. Deadline: Sept. 28th.