FVRC Winter Event 2016
Jeff Anderson "The Write Guy"
Who: Jeff Anderson: Revision Decisions: An Evening of Talking Though Writing, Revising, and Grammar
When: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 4:30 PM - 7:30 PM(Central Time)
Where: Batavia Moose Lodge
1535 South Batavia Ave. (Rt. 31)
Batavia , Illinois 60510-9603
Map and Directions below
Contact Information Phone:630-915-7394 Email Us
Batavia Moose Lodge
Wednesday, Feb. 24th, 4:30-7:30pm
1535 South Batavia Avenue
Jeff Anderson: Revision Decisions: An Evening of Talking Through Writing, Revising, and Grammar
Talking Through Sentences and Beyond
Revision is often a confusing and difficult process for students, but it's also the most important part of the writing process. If students leave our classrooms not knowing how to move a piece of writing forward, we've failed them.
- Revision Decisions will help teachers develop the skills students need in an ever-evolving writing, language, and reading world. The book that engages writers in the tinkering, playing, and thinking that are essential to clarify and elevate writing.
- Focusing on sentences, Jeff and Deborah use mentor texts to show possibilities that exist for revision. Classroom talk is essential to their process.
- Readers will be shown how revision lessons can be discussed in a generative way, and how students benefit from talking through the revision process as a group. Revision Decisions focuses on developing both the writing and the writer. The easy-to-follow lessons make clear and accessible the rigorous thinking and the challenging process of making writing work. Narratives, setup lessons, templates, and details about how to move students toward independence round out this essential book. The authors weave the language, reading, and writing goals of the Common Core Standards into an integrated and connected practice!
Writing is not a mere journey to be right; it’s one of making beautiful meaning. Students have to be able to tinker and experiment with writing to clarify and elevate it. Let's engage writers in the muck of play and thought that is essential to making writing effective. Let's develop twenty-first century writers with all the flexibility needed to face the myriad of choices in an ever-evolving world. We can effortlessly teach grammar through revision and revision through grammar. The essentials of mentor text, talk, and process will be the focus of our evening together. Jeff will also share a bit from his new middle grade series, Zack Delacruz. Professional books and middle grade novel will be for sale onsite and Jeff will be available to sign them.
FVRC Community Projects
- At each of our events we will be collecting NEW Books for Babies for newborn babies to donate to Cadence Delnor Hospital in Geneva, IL and Rush Coply Medical Center in Aurora, IL.
- At each of our events we will be collecting pencils or donations for the International Pencil Project.
Books for Babies
Donate Pencils for the Pencil Project
Books for Babies
An awesome kindergarten classroom in District U-46 collected Books for Babies, as well as engaged in Read-Alouds with many of the titles!