“Edutaining” in Social Studies
Erica Robinson and Celaina Huckeba, Katy ISD
@CincoRanchSS and @chuckeba
Welcome!! Link here: https://www.smore.com/nmru7
If I wasn't an educator, I would be a _________ because _________.
- The most interesting thing I heard was...
- The most shocking thing I heard was...
- The most unusual thing I heard was...
“Total Participation Techniques (TPTs) are teaching techniques that allow for all students to demonstrate, at the same time, active participation and cognitive engagement in the topic being studied.”
- Use a Deck of Cards
- Partner matching cards: Peas and Carrots, Shrek and Fiona, etc
- Use Clock Partners
- Chalkboard Splash
- Numbered heads
- 1-3 word wrap up
Let's Move---Find your Table Tent!
Time to Share--one from each table.
Movie CLIP TIME!!!
One watch, one listen.
- 5 minutes to watch.
- 1 minute to discuss with partner.
As you discuss think about:
- What is the time period?
- What do you think is happening?
- What did you see?
- What did you hear?
- Why do you think this is happening?
How can you use this in your class? What is the benefit of using this strategy over a powerpoint or lecture?
Caption This Time!!!
Your Time to Create/Brainstorm
What are you teaching in your next unit? How can you use student choice to motivate your students? What can your students create to teach each other or teach you?
Bolded items below can be found in the Google Drive Folder with Resources here.
- Movie Magic
- OldMagazine Articles
- Google Like a Boss (research skills)
- Kahoot, Padlet, Formative
- TEKS App