IHS Family Update
From Principal Zipp-McLaughlin
APRIL 8TH UPDATES
- IHS PTSA needs your support
- Career Connections
- The Month of the Military Child
- Junior Prom- RETURN TO FRIDAY MAY 27, 2022 (see below for details)
- Senior Save the Dates and Information- NEW events
- Decision Day for Seniors
- Spring NHS Induction
- AP Testing
- Sunflowers for Ukraine
- Infinite Campus
- Tutoring Opportunities
- Safe School Helpline
- Upcoming events by month
KEY DATES & DETAILS BELOW
- May 2 is Decision Day! Come dressed wearing apparel from your college or career of choice.
- Payment information for cap and gown, $25 is due by June 1st. (make checks payable to "Class of 2022") Check or money can be delivered to Kim Schrank in the IHS main office.
- Senior Lawn Signs: Personalized senior lawn signs are $20 each. Click the link to order one today! https://forms.office.com/r/8q0NmZVKaC We will place 2 orders: one on April 15th and another on May 9th.
- Senior Slide Show and Yearbook Distribution Gathering: May 26th- 3;15pm
- Namedropper Shirts: T-shirts and hoodies with the Class of 2022 student names on the back. For pricing and to place an order, click the link below: https://forms.office.com/r/2JvRpEJdJF We will place 2 orders: one on April 15th and another on May 9th.
- Seabreeze/Senior Picnic: June 11th TBD for times and ticket prices
- Senior Ball: Friday, June 10 at Harro East, 7 pm-11 pm, Tickets are $40 each, with an Ancient Greece theme. Please contact Ms. Jaynes with questions.
- Powder Puff Game- June 13th
- Flag Day Plans- TBD
- Car Parade: Friday, June 17, @ 6 pm. Seniors and families will line up at IHS and follow a scheduled route through the IHS neighborhoods. Please plan to decorate your vehicle!
- Graduation Rehearsal: Thursday, June 23 at 11 AM at IHS
- Graduation/99th IHS Commencement: Saturday, June 25 at 10 AM at Frontier Field; ALL Seniors must report to the IHS back bus loop by 8 AM to board the buses. Seniors must ride the buses to graduation so that we can line up and be prepared.
STAFF APPRECIATION LUNCHEON
DECISION DAY HELP NEEDED
DISTRICT VOTE MAY 17
APRIL: MONTH OF THE MILITARY CHILD
IHS will recognize "Purple Up ! Day" on Wednesday, April 13th. Wear purple in support of military-connected kids and families. April is the designated Month of the Military Child. Across the nation, states and schools celebrate the important role military children play while their service member parents serve our country through special events and wearing the color purple." Click here for more.
Why purple? Purple symbolizes that all branches of the military are represented, including Air Force blue, Army green, Navy blue, Marine red, and Coast Guard blue. All these colors combine for the mutual benefit of all into the color purple.
JUNIOR PROM- DATE CHANGE
We are excited to return to the IHS Tradition of holding the Junior Prom the weekend of Memorial Day. The date is returning to FRIDAY, MAY 27, 20200.
Conflicts regarding the first date published caused us to bring the Prom Committee together and to think through the survey results, student input, and venue requirements. We learned that the first survey was inclusive of Juniors and parents with the popular vote for Friday, May 27th. A second survey was sent out to students yielding fewer votes and a marginal choice of Sunday, May 29th. Once this date was published, we heard even more concerns and conflicts.
Our Prom Committee convened and considered the following:
- Friday, May 27th is the date that has been posted on the calendar and website since last summer
- Since 2009, the Prom has been held on the Friday of Memorial Day
- The survey results which included families and students
With all of this information, we are returning to the originally scheduled date of May 27th, 2022. Again, thank you for your support and patience!
- Date: May 27, 2022 (RETURN TO ORIGINAL DATE)
- Time: 7-11pm
- Location: Hyatt Regency Rochester
- Ticket cost: $50
- Ticket sales will be April 25th- May 6th in the commons during lunch periods 4, 5, 6. Cash and check can be accepted. Checks should be made out to the class of 2023.
Questions? Please contact:
- firstname.lastname@example.org (Junior Class Assistant Principal)
SPRING NHS CEREMONY - 6 PM, APRIL 26
On behalf of the faculty and administration at IHS, we are proud of your child’s initiative and willingness to challenge themselves at the highest level. Please contact Ms. Harford at 336-3037 or email@example.com with any questions.
SUNFLOWERS FOR UKRAINE
INFINITE CAMPUS FOR PARENTS
If you do not have an Infinite Campus account, please use this link to learn more.
If you need support signing up for an Infinite Campus account, please contact the IHS Counseling Office at 336- 2921.
IHS DEPT. CENTERS ARE OPEN FOR DROP-IN SUPPORT
SAFE SCHOOL HELPLINE
Safety is our top priority. Many students have been active in supporting a positive school climate by reporting their concerns through the Safe School Helpline. We continue to encourage, if you see something or have knowledge about something that is unsafe, say something!
Students/Parents/Guardians can also report directly to a teacher, counselor, administrator their concerns. Please remember to provide as many specifics as possible.
The Safe School Helpline is a convenient, confidential way for anyone to report information about situations that might affect safety at our schools. You can call the number any time of the day or night to report concerns about unsafe or potentially disruptive activities or situations including drug or alcohol abuse, weapons, harassment, bullying or threats. All calls are completely confidential.
This link will take you to the helpline or you can call using the numbers below:
800-418-6423 (800-4-1-VOICE ext. 359)
VAPE AWARENESS - DID YOU KNOW?!
Did you know ... ?
- Inappropriate disposal of vapes contaminates our water supply, the batteries can be a fire/explosion hazard and are considered biohazard waste? Flushing vapes has led to major plumbing blockages.
- Vapes contain known carcinogens, can exacerbate anxiety & cause permanent lung damage?
- 810 IHS students reported that they have not used a vape in the last 30 days? Our Youth Risk Behavior Survey results indicate that 108 students reported using vapes in the last 30 days.
- We have support, on campus to help you quit? (Ms. Lindsay Synder is a licensed prevention counselor and is more than happy to meet to discuss your goals).
- We are adding locked boxes to support the safe disposal of vapes while encouraging students to kick the habit? These boxes will be located outside of the counseling center, one on the 2nd floor and outside of our drug and alcohol prevention counselor's office. Boxes will be in place by Wednesday with students sharing details on our Morning Show.
April 8: Third Quarter Ends- report cards to follow
April 12:Seabreeze Interviews @IHS Large Cafeteria, starting at 2:45 pm
April 12: District Vocal Jazz Night
April 13: Wear Purple to celebrate the Month of the Military Child
April 15: First Cut off Date for Personalized Senior Lawn Signs and Name Dropper Apparel
April 15-22: Spring Recess/ April Institute
April 26: NHS Spring Induction Ceremony @ 6 pm
April 28: 9th and 10th-grade Awards/Recognition (Virtual)
May 2: Decision Day for Seniors
May 2-6: Staff Appreciation Week
May 2-13: AP Testing
May 3: District Instrumental Jazz Night
May 4: 11th and 12th Grade Awards Ceremony (Virtual ) @6 pm
May 7: SAT
May 9: Final Cut Off Date for Personalized Senior Lawn Signs and Name Dropper Apparel
May 12: Student Council Breakfast 7 am
May 17: District Vote
May 19: Symphonic Band/Orchestra at 7 pm
May 23: Choristers/DSS/Sweet 16/ Jazz Choir Concert at 7 pm
May 26: Senior Slide Show and Yearbook Gathering at 3:15pm
May 27: Junior Prom @ Rochester Hyatt, 7 pm-11 pm
May 30: Memorial Day - No School
June 1: Graduation Concert @ 6:30pm
June 2: World Language Awards TBD
June 4: SAT
June 7: Athletic Awards TBD
June 2-4: Spring Comedy (Note: an earlier version had incorrect dates)
June 10: Senior Ball @ Harro East from 7pm-11pm
June 11: Senior Trip to Seabreeze
June 11: ACT
June 13: Powder Puff- TBD
June 13-14: Senior Cap and Gown Pick up/ Senior Laptop, books drop off
June 14: Last day of classes/ Flag Day details to follow
June 15-23: NYS Regents Exams
June 17: Senior Car Parade @ IHS, 6pm
June 20: Observed Juneteenth- No School
June 23: Graduation Rehearsal
June 25: Graduation @ Frontier Field, 10 AM; Seniors report to buses at IHS by 8 AM
SPRING SPORTS ARE UNDER WAY!
The first spring game for all of our teams is scheduled for Saturday with IHS Softball! See our full schedule here: ATHLETIC SCHEDULE
SCHOOL CONTACT INFORMATION
Address: 260 Cooper Road
Principal: Alecia Zipp-McLaughlin | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Assistant Principal: Amy Donk | email@example.com
- Assistant Principal: Barbara Harford | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Assistant Principal: Casey Nelan | email@example.com
Main office: (585) 266-7351
Secretary: Kim Schrank | firstname.lastname@example.org
Health Office: 585-336-2938
- Nurse: Mary Piston
Counseling Center: 336-2921
Attendance Office: 336-2919
Technology Support: https://wicsd.tech/
District Office: 585-342-5500 | District website: westirondequoit.org
CLICK HERE TO SEE THE IHS EVENTS CALENDAR