Compass Family Update
July 14, 2014
This Week's News:
- Michelle, Brooke, and Kirsten, our Sustainability Coordinator, visited Materials for the Arts last week. We came home with a car load of fabric, beads, paper, play sand, and lots of other fun stuff. We are looking forward to visiting regularly. If you would like to come along as a helper on one of the next trips, please let us know.
- Michelle and Brooke finished up about 15 more incoming student assessments on Saturday! We are enjoying every single one of these experiences and are learning so much about our new students.
- Brooke and Michelle have been focusing on creating unit plans this past week using Understanding by Design to guide our planning process. We will continue this process throughout the summer.
- Todd has been exploring our options for a Student Information System. He has met with a few vendors and we will make a final decision in the coming weeks.
- Todd has also been working with T-shirt vendors to get the best quality and price for our uniform t-shirts. We have samples from two vendors and will have a decision and more information for you very soon.
- Our Summer Fellows, Sam and Kat, have been visiting organizations near our school to share more about our school model and explore possible future partnerships. They are sharing some of their visits on the Compass Twitter account (@CompassCharter).
- Brooke is on vacation this week and will return on July 21st.
Thanks so much for all of the support to our Donors Choose Projects! Sharing the projects on Facebook, emailing your friends and family, and donating directly to the projects helped us to complete these proposals in just a few days. We couldn't have done it without your help.
Thanks to your help, we will now have the start of our guided reading library and lots of materials and toys for the kids to use outside during recess and outdoor play.
Our Giving Page has been deactivated until we have other projects posted. We will let you know when it's up and running again.
Start Up Committees: Please join us!
Welcome Event Committee: July 22nd, 6pm
Recycling Committee: July 23rd, 4pm
Snack Committee: July 23rd, 6pm
Living Things Committee: July 24th, 6pm
Grants and Fundraising Committee: July 24th, 6pm
All of these meetings will be held at the NYC Charter School Center at 111 Broadway, Suite 604 near Wall Street in Manhattan. Please bring a photo ID to enter the building. We apologize for the trek, but we have not yet moved into the school building.
Afterschool Survey: Please complete as soon as possible
School Food: Please complete as soon as possible
The Department of Education asks that all families enter in their information, even if they do not intend to eat school food. Certain state funding depends on having ALL FAMILIES fill out this information. We need everyone to apply for School Food even if you do not intend to use it for your child.
Please click the link and complete the information as soon as possible as this will impact our funding. Please make sure to choose Compass Charter School 84K789.
Here is the link to the application:
As of yet the DOE has not informed us how to keep track of your submissions. Please email our summer fellow, Sam, once you have completed the form. Her email address is firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
What We're Reading This Week:
Below are some articles we have found interesting since our last update. Feel free to send us any articles you would like to share and we will include them in our next update.
Also, we share many articles from our Twitter feed. Please follow us if you aren't already.
Disclaimer: We are not endorsing anything in these articles. We are simply sharing them because we thought you might like to read them.
Needs Assessment for Founding Families
Founding Family and Child Welcome Event!
Monthly Family Gatherings: Mark Your Calendar!
Our next two Family Gatherings will take place on July 26th and August 23rd. We will send info about location and time before each event.
If you are interested in planning or helping to plan one or both of these events, please email Brooke (email@example.com).
Compass Charter School
Our office at the Charter Center: 212-437-8372
Brooke Peters, Co-Director of Curriculum and Instruction
Michelle Healy, Co-Director of Curriculum and Instruction
Todd Sutler, Co-Director of Strategic Development