Central Bucks High School South Newsletter - June, 2013
June 6: Awards Night @7:00pm
June 7: Battle of the Bands 7:00pm
June 12: Rita's & Review (Final Exam Study Session) @2:30pm
June 12: MBIT 2013 Senior Recognition Ceremony @ 6:30pm (William Tennent HS)
June 14: Final Exams World Language, Computer Science (all students report; finals in class)
June 17: Final Exams English & Science (all students report; finals in class)
June 18: Final Exams Social Studies & Math (exams only)
June 18: Graduation Luncheon & Reheasal for Seniors 11:00am
June 19: Last Day of School/Early Dismissal Day
June 19: Graduation @@4:30pm
Have a safe and happy summer!
South News & Notes
Class of 2013 Graduation
We are proud to recognize the Class of 2013 and look forward to graduation on June 19 at 4:30pm. Unless we experience inclement weather, graduation will be held in Titan Stadium. In the event of rain, our ceremony will be held in the gymnasium.
Unfortunately, seating for indoor graduation is limited, so in the event of rain, only those with tickets will be admitted. However, we will simulcast graduation on the big screen in the auditorium and on televisions throughout the building, so guests are invited to make themselves comfortable in the auditorium, cafeteria, or many classrooms that will be open during graduation.
Any graduate who has a guest in need of handicap accessible parking or special assistance or seating during graduation should contact email@example.com. We are happy to help accomodate the needs of our guests.
Rain or shine, we look forward to celebrating with our graduates and their families!
Rita's & Review
What could be cooler on a warm spring afternoon than some free Rita's water ice and help studying for Finals? After the success of the Cocoa & Cram event held prior to first semester exams, we are haosting another final exam study session for students on Wednesday, June 12. Students will have the opportunity to work with faculty and peer tutors with expertise in each content area, and get valuable help in preparing for upcoming final exams. Join us between 2:30pm and 5:00pm in the Library for Rita's & Review!
Class of 2014 Senior Portrait Sittings - Sign Up Now!
Class of 2014 members who wish to be included in the yearbook next year should plan to attend one of the following FREE portrait sittings so that the portraits in the book are uniform. Studetns will NOT be charged to have photos taken. The tuxedo, drape, cap, gown and tassel are provided. Students may sign up online for any of the summer and fall sessions by logging on to www.ouryear.com or calling 1-800-OUR-YEAR [CBS school code 386]:
- First Sessions: July 8, 9, 10, 11, 15, 16 17, 18 (Appointments 2:00pm - 7:00pm)
- Make-up Sessions: August 19, 20, 21, 22 (Appointments 8:30am-3:00pm)
- Final Sessions: September 23, 24, 25, 26 (Appointments 8:30pm-5:00pm
All sessions are held in the Black Box, B234E which is located behind the Stage.
CBS Health & Wellness Efforts Recognized
We are pleased and proud to announce that Central Bucks High School South has achieved Bronze Recognition status from the Alliance for a Healthier Generation. Several wellness initiatives have been created for both staff and students, including free yoga classes for staff and new student classes will start in the fall, both taught by a certified yoga instructor. Students and staff also have the opportunity to train to run a 5K in the Titans in Training club. In addition, the staff has been biking and running/walking at Peace Valley Park since the fall, and this spring we have approval to start a student biking club. Boot Camp for both students and staff has been running and is also taught by a certified personal trainer. Finally, there is an ultimate Frisbee club as well for students.
In addition, we took a look at the cafeteria food and beverage offerings and worked with the district cafeteria manager to make sure they were in compliance.
We look forward to continuing the good health offerings and opportunities for staff and students.
Titan Thespians' Phantom of the Opera Played to Sold Out Audiences
CB South’s Titan Thespians and Music Department’s production of The Phantom of the Opera played to sold out houses on April 19, 21 and 22. The show featured junior John Degnan in the title role, senior Marlee Cooper as Christine, and senior Kevin Williams as Raoul. Comments shared by audience members include “fabulous,” “outstanding,” and “Broadway level.”
Save the dates for next year’s musical: March 28, 29, and 30 with the senior citizen preview scheduled for March 26. Please also mark your calendars for next year’s fall play, Voices from the High School, to be presented November 8 and 9 with the senior citizen preview November 6. The Titan Thespians are grateful to all of their patrons who supported this year’s season.
French Honor Society - Mais Oui!
The French Honor Society has had a busy spring. 18 students competed in the National French Contest sponsored by the American Association of Teachers of French (AATF). Congratulations to Abby Rubin, Tim Boyle, Maria Kravets, and Abigail Wang, who were recognized locally and nationally for their language skills!
Students in the French Honor Society also donated time to a Spring Cleanup at Moland House, sprucing up native gardens, painting fences, and generally lending a hand.
More than 30 students were inducted in the French Honor Society on April 27th at CB South along with other students joining the Spanish, German and Latin Honor Societies. Welcome to all of our new inductees. We are looking forward to another great year in 2013-2014.
CBS Students Are Friends of Kids' Castle
The Friends of Kid’s Castle would like to thank CB South students for their continuing efforts to support the restoration of Kids' Castle at Central Park in Doylestown. It is heartwarming for the community to see our students who grew up playing at Kids' Castle now actively involved in the rebuilding, so that future generations can enjoy it too. Thanks CB South for all of your ongoing help!
Students and parents interested in getting involved in ongoing efforts are encouraged to contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
RUN. VOLUNTEER. DONATE. CHEER...but most of all HONOR.
Points of Pride
Student Historian Recognized
School Board Brief
At the May 28, 2013 School Board Meeting, the Central Bucks School District School Board:
1. Heard the Tamanend Gold ‘n’ Blues Choir performance before the school board meeting and via video, the Pledge of Allegiance was led by Mrs. VanVreede’s 6th grade Titus class.
2. Heard the Superintendent’s Report, Finance, Operations, and MBIT Committee Reports.
3. Approved the School Board Minutes.
4. Approved the Treasurer’s Report.
5. Approved the Resolution to adopt the Final Budget for 2013-2014 in the amount of $290,683,982. Approved the Resolution setting the homestead and farmstead real estate tax reduction in the amount of $189.70 and approved the tax levy Resolution keeping the real estate tax millage rate at 122.8 mills, keeping the real estate transfer tax rate at 1%, keeping the earned income tax rate at 1%, and maintaining the electric utility real estate tax.
6. Approved the Physical Education Uniform Purchase.
7. Approved Construction Contracts for Holicong Middle School to Centre Point Construction for general construction in the amount of $533,000; to Guy Cooper, Inc. for plumbing construction in the amount of $516,500; to Goshen Mechanical for mechanical construction in the amount of $799,900; to MJF Electrical for electrical construction in the amount of $225,380; and to Asbestos & Lead Abatements Service for asbestos abatement in the amount of $167,020.
And the approval of a Deed of Dedication to New Britain Borough for the Pine Run paving project and the approval of a Land Development Agreement with New Britain Borough for the Pine Run paving project.
8. Approved the award of a contract to Gilmore and Associates for engineering design services for the CB East Stadium in the amount of $90,000 and the award of a contract to Hayes Large Architects for architectural design services for the CB East Stadium in the amount of $168,000.
9. Tabled the first reading of the Facility Use Fee Schedule so that the schedule can be posted on-line for public review. Administration will meet with DAA, CBAA, WAA, and Lenape Valley groups to hear their input.
10. Approved the MBIT Bond Resolution to issue new bonds – Series of 2013. The issuance of new bonds – Series of 2013, will be bank qualified, having a five year call with slightly lower interest rates.
11. Approved School Board Policy #217.3 – Awarding of Credit - Other Educational Experience, School Board Policy #302 – Employment of Superintendent/Assistant Superintendent, and School Board Policy #312 – Performance Assessment of Superintendent/Assistant Superintendent.
12. Approved the School Board Treasurer, Suzanne Vincent for 2013-2014, and the School Board Secretary, Sharon Reiner for 2013-2017.
13. Approved various personnel items, the senior classes for Graduation (1625 graduates) on June 19, 2013, a tuition student, and student trips.