The Junior Journey
News and Happenings from Team 2021
Welcome Back to School
- Registration for Junior students will be Friday July 26th and Monday July 29th from 9am-3pm. Students will be able to get their schedules, take school pictures (need to wear proper school attire for school picture), get a parking pass (see below), and tour the building.
- It is important for students and parents to stay informed by reading all communication from BHS including our newsletters. If you don't check e-mail often, please create a routine to check it at least once a week. This is our only method of communicating on a mass level, so you will miss information if you don't.
- Grades, Grades, and more Grades- Remember, colleges only see grades 9, 10, and 11 on transcripts at the time students apply. Junior year is BIG!
- Parents, your teens still need you to stay informed, watch grades, manage social media, monitor safe driving habits, and more.
BHS College/Trade School Fairs
- Students MUST sign-up to attend the opportunities through Naviance. There are deadlines for sign-ups, so it takes some diligence on the part of students.
- Mrs. Martin will communicate complete directions for doing so through parent and student e-mail. Please keep an eye on your e-mail accounts for these instructions.
- Students will be given a pass to attend these events but are responsible for any work missed.
New Faces on Team 2021
Mr. McCallum has shifted roles at BHS and will be teaching Geography and History of the World as well as AP Human Geography this year. Our new Academic Coach is Mr. AJ Akinribade, a former BHS graduate.
1. A week prior to the visit, students should lets Mrs. Birkofer know the anticipated day they will be out due to a college visit.
2. Upon their return form the visit, students should provide Mrs. Birkofer w/ proof of attendance. These are provided by colleges and universities but may need to be requested.
The students attendance will show UNEXCUSED until proof of the College Visit is provided to Mr. Birkofer
It is recommended that students wishing to visit schools out-of-state do so during a break. We do not provide excused days for travel days, only the actual visit.
Students Interested in Attending a Military Academy
Senator Todd Young is hosting his annual Academy Days that are tailored to all high school students who wish to learn more about the United States Service Academies. If your son/daughter is interested in attending the US Military Academy, US Naval Academy, US Coast Guard Academy, US Merchant Marine Academy, or the US Air Force Academy, you are urged to attend.
Please see the flyer below for detailed information. Student may RSVP to on of the Academy Day events and apply for a nomination to a service academy here: www.young.senate.gov/help. Additional information can be obtained by calling 317-226-6700.
Present and Future Student Drivers
Dress Code Items
Clothing should be so constructed and worn in a manner that is not unduly revealing. Tops that may NOT be worn are tank tops, muscle shirts, tube tops, halter tops, backless shirts, tops with spaghetti straps, sheer or fishnet shirts, and cut-offs or other tops which show midriff. Plunging neck lines and excessive exposure is not acceptable. Our gauge for necklines will be 4”; the length of four fingers. All shorts, skirts, and pants should not be unduly revealing, using the fingertip rule as a guide. Additionally, students are not permitted to wear hats or hoods while in the school building.
Student who are in violation of our BHS dress code will be sent to the team office to put on school assigned attire or call a parent/guardian to bring them a change of clothes.
Reminders About Attendance
- If you need to pick-up your student from school for an appointment, Mrs. Birkofer time locate him/her. Please call as early as you can to ensure an on time pick-up. This is a big school, and locating students takes time...especially during lunch.
- If you student is going to be absent, please let Mrs. Birkofer know. This allows her to mark attendance accurately.
- If your student is going to be tardy to school, please let Mrs. Birkofer know.
- Students should only go home by visiting the clinic. If your teen contacts you because he/she doesn't feel well, please have him/her go to the clinic. The nurses will assess and contact you as needed.
Area 31 Tid-Bits
- Your student must follow the Area 31 calendar for anything related to Area 31 classes. This includes starting on Wednesday July 31st for Area 31 classes only.
- If you have questions about your teen's progress at Area 31, you MUST contact the Area 31 staff with your questions. This includes questions about grades, discipline, attendance, progress, program requirements and more. BHS does NOT have the ability to track grades being earned at Area 31.
- Stay in the Know- Information is communicated from Area 31 to families and students of which BHS is NOT aware. It's important to ready ALL pieces of Area 31 communication.
Naviance and Student Communication
It's important that our teens have provided their e-mail information on Naviance and actually check their e-mails accounts on a regular basis. Failure to do so, will result in missed communication. Below are the directions for students to ensure the correct e-mail is available on Naviance.
Please contact Mrs. Birkofer to schedule a meeting using the information below.
Contact Information for Team 2021
Chris Douglas (Counselor A-K) ext. 1602 firstname.lastname@example.org
Lori Mehrtens (Counselor L-Z) ext. 1603 email@example.com
AJ Akinribade (Academic Coach) ext. 1604 firstname.lastname@example.org
Celestine Birkofer (Admin Assistant) ext. 1601 email@example.com