April 13, 2023
Dear Parents and Community Members:
Recently, the types of library materials available in school libraries has been a focus of public concern both in the Mat-Su Borough School District and nationally.
A Frequently Asked Questions sheet concerning MSBSD Libraries is linked here.
In response to these concerns, Mat-Su Borough School District has been reviewing library collection policies and reviewing individual books to make sure that MSBSD materials support school curriculum and are appropriate for students. Additionally, a Library Advisory Committee was convened to review existing collections policies and to gather information about specific library collection concerns.
The following represents a timeline of where MSBSD has been listening to community concerns and where MSBSD is heading as we seek to better serve students and community:
- Library Advisory Committee Meeting held March 7, 2023
- Library Advisory Committee Meeting held March 20, 2023
- Revision of Library Manual Procedures (under review)
- Principals’ Meeting held March 29, 2023
- District Librarian Meeting held March 29, 2023
- Library FAQ released to the public on April 13, 2023
- Application for District-Wide Library Committee released on April 13, 2023
- Spring District-Wide Library Committee Meeting #1 (TBD)
- Spring District-Wide Library Committee Meeting #2 (TBD)
- MSBSD Policy Committee (TBD)
The application for our District-Wide Library Committee is available now! Members of the District-Wide Library Committee serve as representatives of our community. The Committee will evaluate specific books brought forth by parents and community members regarding the book’s educational or literary value.
Parents and community members interested in serving on this committee should submit a completed application linked here no later than noon on Friday, April 21. A description outlining the expectations of committee members is included in the application.
Matanuska-Susitna Borough School District Administrative Building
501 North Gulkana Street
Palmer, AK 99645