Weekly Newsletter - April 5, 2018
He is risen! Alleluia!
St. Joseph Catholic School provides students with a safe and prayerful learning environment, enveloped by an intimate community of active and faithful families.
Bible Verse for the Month
From the Principal
Happy Easter, everyone! I hope you all had a beautiful Easter Sunday with your families. Like I told the students on Monday, Easter did not end on Sunday. The season continues all the way until Pentecost. We have many more days to celebrate Jesus' Resurrection!
Let us use this time to pray for those who were newly baptized in the Catholic faith at the Easter Vigil Masses around the world. They need our prayers as they embark on this new chapter of their lives. Like spring flowers coming from the earth, we are all looking for direction from the sun, but the sun we are looking for is the Son of God.
This Sunday we celebrate Divine Mercy Sunday. Please check out the video I have included in this newsletter for information on the history behind this special day. I hope you have a blessed weekend, and continue to rejoice and to feel renewed.
In Christ's Service,
Blessed Pier Giorgio Frassati
Our Frassati Award namesake...
toward the top!
The message of the Divine Mercy
Quotes to Ponder
Nothing can be compared to the great beauty and capabilities of a soul; however keen our intellects may be, they are as unable to comprehend them as to comprehend God, for, as He has told us, He created us in His own image and likeness.
- St. Teresa of Avila
Know, O beautiful soul, that you are the image of God.
-St. Ambrose of Milan
Never lose an opportunity of seeing anything beautiful, for beauty is God's handwriting.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
At St. Joseph Catholic School, we are striving to become missionary disciples by bringing others to Christ, through the recognition of what is beautiful around us each and every day, and reflecting that beauty in our actions.
Latin and Greek Root Challenge
Reminders and Upcoming Events
- All students will receive FREE DRESS tomorrow, Friday, April 6th, for reaching the $17,500 profit goal on the Boosterthon Fun Run! Be watching for some teachers and staff in mustaches!
- The 21st Annual SJCS Golf Tournament and Dinner is happening on April 21st at the Tierra Verde Golf Club in Mansfield. We are still in need of sponsors for the event. Please consider sponsoring a hole. We would love to have more players as well! It should be a great day! Check out details in the Thursday Folder.
- Plan to come out to Nolan Catholic High School on April 29th for our diocesan Spirit Games! For the cost of $15.00, your child receives a t-shirt, the chance to attend Mass led by Bishop Olson on the Nolan football field, and the opportunity to participate in all the games one could image! St. Joseph Catholic School will be hosting the kickball this year at the games. Please see the Thursday folder for details.
- NJHS will be hosting a Bake Sale next week. Be on the look out!
- If you are an Amazon customer, please use Amazon Smile! We receive a donation from Amazon when you shop. Go to: smile.amazon.com to participate. Thank you!
- Please log your 40 service hours by April 30th.
- Softball and Baseball season have begun. Come out to a game in support of our Lady Knights and Knights!
- If you know a St. Joseph Catholic School alumni, please let them know we are looking to stay in contact, and would love to hear how they are doing. See the notice in our alumni section of "The Page" below. Thank you!
- Don't think Box Tops matter? Well, just by clipping these from the items our families use everyday, the school received a check for $409.80! We will be receiving one more check before the school year is over. Please save these for us! Imagine if everyone did this, how much we could receive.
Home and School Association (HSA)
- Come out to Jason's Deli for another Spirit Night on April 10th.
- Please see the Thursday Folder for a letter from your HSA President, Robyn Guglielmelli, regarding open positions for the 2018-2019 school year: Vice President Elect, Vice President of Programs, Vice President of Fund Raising.
- April 21st will be here before you know it! Plan to attend the golf tournament to support the school. Check out the flyer in the Thursday Folder for details.
- Box Tops are always being collected for the school. Don't forget to clip them and bring them into the front office to help raise money for the school. The next collection date is April 10th.
- Looking for uniform pieces? Need to sell some pieces your child has outgrown? There is a Facebook page for that: SJCS Online Uniform Resale.
- It's never too late to join the HSA! Come by the school office to pick up a form. The dues are $15.00 which are used to support the school.
car line observations
- Please do not disregard the cones that are placed around the parking lots. These are provided to help keep our students safe.
- It is very important that cars are not left unattended in the car line. Please park your car in the large lot beside the field if you need to leave your vehicle.
- Please remember that if you are walking your child into the school building, you are to park in the large lot in front of the field. Foot traffic should not be occurring in the very front parking lot, even though there is a defined crosswalk. It is dangerous to be walking between the cars.
- For the safety of all, please be aware of your speed as you move through the parking lots.
- Please be patient with friends and extended family members who drop off and pick up students. Many times they have not been informed of the proper way to navigate the car line. We do reach out to families after arrival and dismissal who seem to not understand the car line pattern.
- If you have a friend or extended family member picking up your child, please take a minute to explain the procedures to them. Please reference the diagram. Thank you!
- We would ask that a cell phone not be in your hand while driving in the car line. We all know it only takes one sudden distraction to alter lives forever.
KNIGHTS IN ACTION!
8th grade Student of the month
The Easter Vigil Mass at St. Joseph Roman Catholic Church
Fr. Kelley begins the celebration of the Easter Vigil Mass in front of the school.
The Candle is lit
Fr. Kelley lights the new Paschal Candle.
Inside the church
After the procession from the school, the congregation shared the light of the new candle with one another. It was a beautiful sight!
Working with Nature..on the inside!
Ms. Brennan's 4th grade class works while enjoying a live webcam of a bird feeder. The sounds of nature are very relaxing for her students.
A huge thank you to Ms. Sharon Castleberry for sharing her God-given talents of song and music. This made our Easter Monday Morning Prayer Service even more special!
Stations come to a close
Thank you 4th grade for leading us through the Stations of the Cross these past weeks.
Working with Nature..on the inside!
| || |
Ms. Gavin's 7th and 8th Graders
Both 7th and 8th grade had to find the area of a multi-polygon shaped house, when they were only given one measurement. Then they had to tell how many 1ft, 6in, and 1in tiles were needed for the house.
| || |
1st Grade Measuring
Who knew Peeps could help out with measuring? They call this measuring with non-standard units. It only took 314 bunny Peeps to measure the lunchroom. That's a lot of Peeps!
Sr. Maria Theresa
These little ones were excited to work with Sr. Maria Theresa today. All eyes were on her!
Peeps to Play-Doh
Ms. Connor's scientists were creating models of cells using Play-doh.
And balloons, too?
Ms. Connor's scientists were also using balloons to illustrate one of Newton's laws.
Sr. Maria Theresa
| || |
Ms. Coomer's social studies class experienced first-hand the pros and cons of assembly line manufacturing through this hands-on activity.
Alumnae Taylor Nicole Anderle and Lauri Bradburn, soon to be Mrs. Zachary Vick in May 2018, are from the graduating class of 2009! Ms. Janik's 5th grade class is still going strong.
Knights to Vikings
Knight alumni Michelle Ciacchella, Clay Grogan, and Gaetan Campanozzi are pictured here with Sr. Angela. All were once on our campus! Looks like Nolan is taking good care of them. They will always be Knights to us.
Calling all SJCS Alumni!
Do you have any information you would like to share with the entire Knight Community? We would love that as well! Please send your news to email@example.com.
Once a Knight - Forever a Knight!
Sr. Mary Anthony Nguyen, OP and Sr. Maria Theresa Pham, OP
St. Joseph Roman Catholic Parish
- Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament is occurring after daily Mass in the Chapel until 5:45pm. Come spend some time with our Lord.
- Fridays during Lent, beginning at 6:30pm, the Rosary and Stations of the Cross will be prayed, and a fish fry hosted by the Mens' Club will follow. Check the church website for details, for the Rosary and Stations of the Cross are offered in several languages. Website: http://www.stjoe88.org/
- Please enjoy this link to a lovely article in the North Texas Catholic about the pastor of St. Joseph Parish, Fr. Kelley: https://t.co/3ItrotxIyf
ST. JOSEPH, PROTECTOR OF FAMILIES, PRAY FOR US.