Mars Orbiter Mission
Mangalyaan - Mars Craft.
- K. Radhakrishan – Chairman, ISRO
- A. S. Kiran Kumar – Director, SAC
- V. Adimurthy - Mission Concept Designer, MOM
- Mylswamy Annadurai – Programme Director, MOM
- B. S. Chandrashekar – Director, ISTRAC
- P. Robert – Operations Director, MOM
- Subbiah Arunan – Project Director, MOM
- V. Kesavaraju – Post-Launch Mission Director, MOM
- P. Ekambaram – Operations Director, MOM
- P. Kunhikrishnan – Launch Mission Director, PSLV-XL
- S. K. Shivkumar – Orbiting payload Director, ISAC
- B. Jayakumara – Launch Vehicle Director, PSLV
The primary objective of the Mars Orbiter Mission is to showcase India's rocket launch systems, spacecraft-building and operations capabilities. Specifically, the primary objective is to develop the technologies required for design, planning, management and operations of an interplanetary mission, comprising the following major tasks:
- design and realisation of a Mars orbiter with a capability to perform Earth-bound manoeuvres, cruise phase of 300 days, Mars orbit insertion / capture, and on-orbit phase around Mars;
- deep-space communication, navigation, mission planning and management;
- incorporate autonomous features to handle contingency situations.
The secondary objective is to explore Mars' surface features, morphology, mineralogy and Martian atmosphere using indigenous scientific instruments.