5 April COVID Update

Big picture

5 April COVID Update

5 April, 2022

Update on COVID-19 at Lauriston School

Kia ora Koutou ma whanau o te kura Kotoku ko Lauriston,

As notified by the Ministry of Education last week, the key changes to the COVID-19 Protection Framework impacting schools are:

  • removal of My Vaccine Pass from the framework effective from 11.59 pm Monday 4 April

  • and from Friday 25 March:

    • removal of any outdoor capacity limits at all colours of the framework

    • increased capacity limits when indoors at Red, moving from 100 to 200 (but still allowing for one-metre spacing) and no capacity limits indoors at Orange and Green

    • no requirement to display QR codes at any setting (but be ready to use them again in the future)

    • no need to have alternate check-in systems for COVID-19 beyond your usual visitor register processes

    • no mask requirements when outdoors (but masks remain a requirement indoors for staff and children/students in Years 4–13 when at Red)

    • In addition, masks are strongly encouraged to be worn at Orange.

As you will also no doubt be aware we will remain at the Red setting of the COVID-19 protection framework with the next review of the traffic light setting on April 14.

We will continue to update our COVID-19 content as appropriate.

In the meantime, from now until the end of Term 1, what does this mean for our context, Lauriston School?

At the time of reporting our first case we were officially recognised as the last school in Mid Canterbury to contract COVID. However today, we can see COVID is well and truly making its way through our school community with just over a third of our school absent yesterday. If this pattern of illness increases, especially within the staff, we may be forced to shift into Phase 3 of our school’s COVID-19 response plan, which will mean some classrooms will need to remain home for online learning. An early head’s up of this possibility should allow families time to prepare for the likelihood that this may indeed happen this week, if not next week.

With so many families isolating, children continuing to test positive and with two staff away isolating-1 now with COVID-we are beginning to see more of an impact on our community as we head into the end of term, 13 April, 2022.

For this reason, along with the uncertainty of future impact on our school, we have decided to postpone our End of Term Prizegiving until the first Friday May 6, at the beginning of Term 2, when we hope to be able to welcome everyone onsite, free of the need for class groupings with families also able to be present to help us celebrate the progress and achievements of our children.

Today’s update:

We now have 12 active COVID-19 cases in our school - with 3 new cases testing positive from Mt Harper. This brings total cases in the school to:

13 families isolating

24 students isolating

2 Staff isolating - 1 staff member positive

12 students positive

Classroom numbers: Mt Winterslow-Opihako (1), Mt Somers-Maungakiekie (0), Mt Alford-Te Maka Kaha (0), Mt Harper-Mahaanui (8) and Mt Hutt-Huirapa (3).

Nga mihi nui

Colin Brodie, Principal