Parent Leadership Academy News
April 18, 2019
$500 SAC Scholarship Opportunity
1. You must register and attend SAC's Women Empowered (WE) Event on Friday, May 17th (Flyer and registration button below).
2. Submit a Scholarship Essay
Must also meet these requirements:
- Have a HS diploma or GED by scholarship deadline
- Submit a scholarship essay (more details below)
- Register and attend the ENTIRE WE Conference and be present for the scholarship ceremony
- SAC must be listed as your home school
- Must be taking classes at SAC in Fall 2019
- Enroll in a minimum of 6 hours for the Fall 2019 semester at SAC
- Must have completed FAFSA and Apply Texas by April 19, 2019
- Must attach transcript from colleges other than Alamo Colleges
Scholarship Essay Details
- What are your academic and career goals?
- How will receiving a degree from SAC help you achieve them?
- What are some barriers you must overcome?
- One of the primary reasons to attend conferences is for motivation and inspiration. What are you hoping to learn from attending this year's WE Conference that you might be able to use in your life?
Please NOTE: Your essay will be scored on how well you address each of the four questions above.
Final Deadline to submit the scholarship application is Monday, April 29th. Only completed applications will be accepted. Candidates may be contacted for an interview.
Where do you submit your scholarship essay?
When you register for the WE conference, you will receive a confirmation email that has all the information mentioned above and a LINK to click on to submit your essay.
It's very important that you also apply for Financial Aid prior to April 29th.
Have Questions? Need more information?
Contact Abby or anyone at The Empowerment Center!
Download the Flyer Below!
PLA Closing Session
Time: 9:00 a.m.--2:00 p.m.
Location: ESC-20 Maple/Mesquite Rooms (2nd floor)
*Lunch will be provided
This day is FULL of all good things!!
The closing session will consist of final evaluations, sharing affirmations and new learning, AND....
Portfolios are due on this day. We do not grade them so no worries about that! Your portfolio is a reflection of your learning during your PLA experience.
There is no right or wrong portfolio. You make it unique to you! If you have any worries or concerns, please let one of us know.
We will hang on to your portfolio and show case them during the graduation ceremony and then you get to take them home!
I promise you...you will take great pride in this work!
Help Us Start Recruiting for Fall 2019 PLA!
Do you have recommendations for a friend, family member or coworker to participate in the Parent Leadership Academy? We need your help recruiting!
During the April 24th closing session, we will be asking for you to contribute at least 3 contact names, phone numbers and email addresses that we can reach out to join the Fall 2019 cohort!
We will share Fall 2019 applications with you once they become available.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Graduation: Thursday, May 2nd; 5:30 p.m.--7:30 p.m.
PLA Staging Room (where you will gather before the graduation): Kinney (1st Floor)
You will need to arrive at ESC-20 before 5:00 p.m. for a group picture and to be ready to go at 5:30 p.m.
You will receive your caps/gowns at the Closing Session so you can iron them and come dressed!
Please note: Caps/Gowns will need to be returned after the graduation ceremony. You are not able to keep them. You will, however, be able to keep your tassel!
Start inviting those that are important to you that you want to share this celebration with. A reception will follow the graduation ceremony.
An electronic and hard copy invitation will be shared with you that you can share with others. Coming Soon!
Remaining Elective Options Before the Closing Session!
Tuesday, April 23, 2019, 9:00 a.m.—12:00 p.m.
College Knowledge for Parents
Facilitated by the UTSA Institute for P-20 Initiatives, "College Knowledge for Parents" provides parents with essential information regarding promoting a college going culture, college financial aid, scholarships, as well as college admissions information. Learn more about your critical role as a parent in helping your child reach their academic dreams.
**Interpreter provided by request. Call 210-370-5430 by 12:00 p.m. on Thursday, April 18th.
Session ID: 52440
Webinar ID: 53200