Education and family background
Because he had found difficulty fitting in at school, his parents decided to have him tutored at home. He only attended private schools and did home schooling. He did attend Harvard University.
Style and Trademark
- He is best remembered as a prominent figure in black and white photography, he was also a great environmentalist too.
- He received a Doctor of Arts from both Harvard and Yale universities.
- In 1963 he received the Sierra Club John Muir Award.
- He got elected as a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences in 1966.
- He was awarded the Conservation Service Award by the Department of Interior in 1968.
- In 1980 he received a Presidential Medal of Freedom.
- Adams was presented with the Hasselblad Award in 1981.
- In 2007 Adams was inducted into the California Hall of Fame by California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger and the First Lady Maria Shriver.
Thinking about his work
What he thinks:"Sometimes I get to places when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
What others think:
When we think of photographs by Ansel Adams, we all have images that come readily to mind. "Moonrise." "Clearing Winter Storm." Winter Sunrise." All icons of landscape photography, of all photography. I always enjoy seeing one of his books, or an exhibit, not just for these icons, but to absorb the range of his vision.
What i think:
I find his work really inspiring because of the hard work that he puts into it and his pictures are amazing.