We Are Together Tamanend!
May 17, 2019
One School, One Book
Starting this summer, we will be engaging the Tamanend community in a One School, One Book program. A committee of teachers, librarians, and administrators worked for a year to choose a book that would appeal to our entire school community. We are pleased to announce that we will be reading Posted by John David Anderson. We encourage all of next year’s Tamanend students to read this book over the summer. The book is widely available online and through Central Bucks book fairs. If you are aware of a student who might have difficulty purchasing this book due to a financial hardship, please email Kristi Holloway at firstname.lastname@example.org so that we may obtain a copy for the student. A reminder that the Tamanend book fair will be held May 20-24 in the Tamanend Library. Click here to watch a short video of the author of Posted speaking about this book. We are planning a variety of activities throughout the 19-20 school year to engage all members of the Tamanend community in discussions related to this book.
CALENDAR ITEMS TO NOTE
Upcoming Events at a Glance
Spring Pep Rally--Friday, May 17 during school day
Relay for Life--Saturday, May 18 @ Tohickon Middle School
Tamanend Book Fair--Monday, May 20 to Friday, May 24
Algebra Keystone Testing--Tuesday, May 21 & Wednesday, May 22
6th Grade Orientation--Thursday, May 23
Memorial Day (School Holiday)--Monday, May 27
9th Grade Move-Up Day--Wednesday, May 29 at CB South during school day
Tamanend Game Show Students Donate Winnings to Non-Profit
Neshaminy Manor hosted their annual "Seniors Prom" on Tuesday, May 14. Members of our Community Service Club helped to decorate, socialize, and dance the night away! A special thank you to Mrs. Mancini and Mrs. Wilhelm for chaperoning.
May Featured Teacher--Mrs. Reitz
Mrs. Reitz has been a teacher at Tamanend for eleven years and says "she has the best gig in town.” She received her undergraduate degree from Pennsylvania State University and her Masters degree in education at LaSalle University. Mrs. Reitz’s favorite part about being a teacher is helping her students find a new passion and achieving their goals. She is a 7th Grade teacher who also helps direct the Tamanend Players and coaches the 7th Grade Field Hockey team. Mrs. Reitz loves to spend time with her family, taking walks with her wonderful rescue dog Harmony, biking and traveling. Mrs. Reitz’s favorite vacation spots are Venice, Italy and Santorini, Greece. Every summer, her family enjoys visiting the Outer Banks. Mrs. Reitz’s favorite food is pasta dishes, she also enjoys Thai, and Vietnamese and has a sweet tooth for baked goods. Her favorite genres of music include jazz, classic rock, acoustic guitar singer/songwriters. Some of the records she enjoys listening to with her family are Frank Sinatra and Carole King. When Mrs. Reitz attended college, she was very involved in a student-run philanthropy which raised money for pediatric Cancer patients. The committee Mrs. Reitz was on, Morale, wore yellow shirts to bring sunshine to the sick children and, to this day, her favorite color is yellow! Mrs. Reitz loves the TV shows The Office and Parks and Rec and also enjoys the book series The Hunger Games. When Mrs. Reitz retires, she sees herself traveling many more parts of the world, and when not traveling, she plans on spending time with her family and helping in the community.
Submitted by Paige S.
The Diary of Anne Frank and Actor Talk Back
Gold’n’Blues had a busy week last week, after their evening concert May 7th. On Thursday, May 9th, they had the opportunity to work with the Penn State Pennharmonics A Cappella group to learn new music, and improve their performances. Two Tamanend alumni are current freshmen in the Pennharmonics. On Saturday, May 11th, Gold’n’Blues travelled to the Highlands A Cappella Festival in New Jersey, where they attended classes and clinics with internationally-known a cappella clinicians. At the end of the day, they put on an amazing performance for an enthusiastic and appreciative crowd.
THIS WEEK'S TEEN TALK
What is Teen Talk? Each week, we will include a resource in our newsletter designed to promote conversations between parents and children regarding important issues related to teenagers. We hope that these resources serve to help parents and students navigate the excitement and challenges associated with the teenage years. In addition, we will highlight topics that we are discussing in Advisory and in presentations so that you may continue the conversation at home with your teen.
This Week's Teen Talk Topic: Vaping and Lung Disease
WebMD offers this article about vaping and lung disease. Vaping is sometimes advertised as a "safer" alternative to smoking tobacco. This article with give you information to help you explain to your teen why vaping is neither safe nor healthy.
HELPUL REMINDERS ABOUT TAMANEND PROCEDURES
Reminder--Student Assistance Program (SAP)
The Student Assistance Program (SAP) has been established in schools throughout Pennsylvania. SAP Programs provide schools with the means to identify, refer, and support students who are exhibiting behavioral, academic, or attendance issues that put them at risk. Tamanend has a team of dedicated school personnel who are trained to assist students, faculty and family members in identifying problems that impact the student’s ability to function in school. The team can also offer students and their families resources to assist them in alleviating these problems. For more information about the SAP Program, please click here. To complete a SAP referral form for a Tamanend student, please click here.
Athletic Department News
Congratulations to the Tamanend track team who traveled to Tohickon and participated in the CB relays. Over a dozen medals were earned and we all had a great day in the sun!
- During the Fall of 2019, our 7th and 8th Grade students will have an opportunity to play volleyball at the middle school level through community school. This Spring, each high school will host a volleyball clinic to prepare current 6th and 7th Graders for next Fall.
FROM CB SOUTH:
- If you could not attend the concussion presentation/ImPact testing for all students trying out for Fall sports at CB South on Monday, May 13th, the make-up date is Tuesday, June 11th at 3:00 in the Cafeteria. If you are planning to take the South shuttle that day, you must register with Mr. Klein in order to take the bus. Students must be picked up by parents at CB South.
- Family ID will open June 3rd for CB South Fall sports registration.
- CB South Cheerleading tryouts will be held on Monday, May 20th from 3:30-4:45 for 8th graders and 4:45-6:00 for 9th-11th graders; Wednesday May 22nd from 3:30-4:45 for 8th graders and 4:45-6:00 for 9th-11th graders; and Thursday May 23rd at 3:30 for all grades in the Aux Gym.
- CB South Cross Country – there will be an informational meeting for any boy or girl who will be in grades 9 through 12 this fall. The meeting will take place at CB South in the Forum Room on Wednesday May 22nd at 6:30pm.
- South Girls Basketball open gyms are held Tuesdays from 6:30-8:30 and Wednesdays from 2:30-4:00. There will be no open gym on May 21st.
- CB South Girls Volleyball open gyms are held Wednesdays in the Aux Gym from 7:00 to 9:00.
- CB South Boys Basketball open gyms will be held Mondays 6:30-8:00 and Thursdays from 3:00 to 4:30, through June 6th.
- All open gyms are weather dependent. Announcements will be made for cancellations.
This Week's Athletic Schedule
- 7th Grade Baseball @ Holicong (Away); bus leaves at 2:40
- 8th Grade Girls Soccer @ Lenape (Away); bus leaves at 2:40
- 8th Grade Softball @ Newtown (Away; Helen Randall Park: 236 Swamp Rd., Newtown); bus leaves at 2:20
- 8th Grade Baseball @ Newtown (Away; Veterans Park: 234 Durham Rd., Newtown); bus leaves at 2:20
- 7th Grade Softball @ Lenape (Away); bus leaves at 2:40
- 8th Grade Girls Soccer vs. Holicong (Home)
- Girls Lacrosse vs Unami (Home)
- Boys Lacrosse @ Unami (Away); bus leaves at 2:40
- Varsity Track @ Log College (Away); bus leaves at 2:20
- 7th Grade Baseball @ Lenape (Away); bus leaves at 2:40
- 8th Grade Softball vs. Holicong (Home)
- 8th Grade Baseball vs. Holicong (Home)
- 8th Grade Girls Soccer vs. TBD (postseason tournament at Tohickon); bus leaves at 2:40
- Girls Lacrosse vs. TBD (postseason tournament at Tamanend); 3:15 or 4:30 start
- Boys Lacrosse vs. TBD (postseason tournament at Tohickon); bus leaves at 2:40 (*if we qualify)
- Varsity Track: CB/CR Classic (at Tohickon); bus leaves at 1:55
- 7th Grade Softball vs. Tohickon (Home)
- 7th Grade Baseball vs. Tohickon (Home)
- 8th Grade Girls Soccer vs. TBD (postseason tournament championship at Tohickon); bus leaves at 2:40 (*if we qualify)
- Girls Lacrosse vs. TBD (postseason tournament championship at Tamanend); 3:15 (*if we qualify)
- Boys Lacrosse vs. TBD (postseason tournament championship at Tohickon); bus leaves at 2:40 (*if we qualify)
- No games
UPCOMING TAMANEND EVENTS
Relay for Life 2019 Update
This Saturday is Relay for Life! Tamanend has already raised over $20,000 for the American Cancer Society! Teams may turn in any additional donations online or at the information tent at Relay. Relay is only open to students who registered with a team in March, registered chaperones, and registered survivors and caregivers. Please remember that teams must provide two chaperones on site at Tohickon at all times. Students, please bring your school ID if possible, and chaperones, please bring your ID as well. We’re looking forward to a wonderful day!
UPCOMING SOUTHSIDE EVENTS
CB South NASA Club's Star Night Event--RESCHEDULED FOR FRIDAY, MAY 17 DUE TO WEATHER
CB South Mock Trial Summer Camp
UPCOMING DISTRICT & COMMUNITY EVENTS
District Art Show--May 31 Through June 2 at CB West
Joe Ramos' Break the Silence Community Picnic--July 27
RESOURCES AND ASSISTANCE
Reminder--Help with Resources
If you are experiencing a financial hardship, please know that the staff members listed below can help you and your family. We can provide assistance with food, clothing, student fees, internet access, and other issues. Please don't hesitate to contact us:
Brian Caughie, Principal email@example.com
Kyle Dudley, Assistant Principal firstname.lastname@example.org
Lauren Myrtetus, Certified School Nurse email@example.com
Jeff Klein, Guidance Counselor firstname.lastname@example.org
Mandy Cammann, Guidance Counselor email@example.com
Reminder--Grandfamilies Support Group
GETTING INVOLVED AND STAYING CONNECTED WITH TAMANEND
Parent Volunteers Needed for the Freshman Dance
Parent volunteers are needed for the Freshman Dance. Although the dance is for 9th Graders, parents of students in all grades are welcome to help. If you are interested in volunteering, please use the link below:
Please Consider Volunteering at Tamanend Middle School
Reminder--Volunteer Required Paperwork
Pennsylvania law requires all persons having direct contact with school children to obtain background checks and clearances. If you are planning on being in a Central Bucks school during the 2018-2019 school year for any reason, you will need to go to Volunteer Required Paperwork, and complete what is needed to obtain your Photo Volunteer ID Card. You will need that ID Card and a photo ID to enter a CB school.
Reminder--Support Tamanend While You Shop
If you use the following vendors, please think about supporting TMS while you shop:
- Giant Food Store has an A+ School Rewards program through their clip-less coupon card that gives money to the school you designate every time you shop. Use this link to select Tamanend as your A+ school after August 15th of the new school year.
- Clip and send in Box Tops to the attention of NJHS.
Share Good News About Tamanend Students
Ways to Stay Connected with Tamanend
Here is a list of ways Tamanend communicates with students, families, and the community:
- Tamanend website: includes important information, resources, calendar of school events, and daily announcements
- Calendar of school events (posted on our website)
- Daily announcements (scrolling on TV screens during school day and posted on our website)
- TV show (weekly, during Advisory period)
- Email blasts from Tamanend administration regarding important news, new procedures, and reminders
- Parent Portal: student information, grades, and attendance
- Tamanend Connections newsletter: useful information, important reminders, and school highlights emailed weekly during school year and posted on Tamanend website
- Twitter: @CBTamanendMS highlights of activities, events, and daily life at Tamanend
- CBSD app: highlights of activities, events, and daily life in Central Bucks
Para nuestras familias hispanohablantes...
¡Bienvenidos a Tamanend! Yo soy Brian Caughie, Director de Tamanend Middle School. Soy hispanohablante. Pasé mucho de mi vida en España. Estoy aquí para apoyarles a todos los estudiantes y familias en Tamanend. Favor de llamarme or escribirme (en inglés o en español) si Ud. tiene cualquier duda o pregunta.
Correo electrónico: firstname.lastname@example.org
Oficina: (267) 893-2900