January 28, 2022
Hi Aspen Families!
Happy New Year! Here are some updates and important information:
Self-Screening At Home
- Temperature above 99.4
- Nausea, upset stomach
- Cold Symptoms
- Sore Throat
- New/Bad Headache
- Congestion or runny nose
- Other symptoms listed on Screening Form
- Contact with positive COVID case and experiencing symptoms
COVID-19 Resources for Families
Transitional Kindergarten Enrollment
Parking Lot Reminders
Here are some reminders to assist us in keeping our students safe in the parking lot:
- Stay in the right hand lane, move all the way forward, and ONLY drop your student off from the right side of the vehicle .
- Do not allow your child to walk unattended between cars.
- Never leave your vehicle unattended in the drive-thru lanes.
- Do not block intersections along Oberlin Avenue while waiting to enter the parking lot.
Parent Representatives Still Needed
We are still looking for parents to serve as representatives on our district's Gifted and Talented Education (GATE) committee, District English Learner Advisory Council (DELAC), African American Parent Advisory Council (AAPAC), and Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer or Questioning and Others Advisory Council (LGBTQ+ AC) . Please email me if you are interested in serving as an Aspen parent representative on one of these committees. Please know that there is a commitment to attend their monthly meetings.
Aspen Roadrunner Run
The Roadrunner Run is Friday, February 11th!
You received a flyer today on how to register your student(s) online. It is also available here.
AWARDS, PRIZES & RAFFLE INCLUDE: Disneyland tickets, LA Kings tickets, unlimited rides at the Santa Monica Pier, bowling, zoos, farm and gymnastics passes, restaurant gift certificates & more!
Seeking Actors to Portray Important Women in History
March is Women’s History Month and March 8th is International Women’s Day. PFA is looking for volunteers to portray this year’s group of amazing women:
- Elma Gonzalez (1942 - ) Research Scientist, Cellular Biologist
- Barbara Hillary (1931 - 2019) Nurse, Adventurer, Activist
- Maya Lin (1959 - ) Artist, Architect, Designer, Sculptor
- Ruth Patrick (1907 - 2013) Limnologist, Ecologist
- Susan La Flesche Picotte (1865 - 1915) First Native American Woman Medical Doctor
- Anne Schuchat (1960 - ) Medical Doctor, Specialist in Infectious Diseases
We will provide you with a script, suggestions for costumes and props, notes, a quote, and some suggested resources that will provide more information about the character you choose. If interested, we ask that you prepare a short video (3-5 minutes). The videos will be shared through your student’s teacher. Moms, students in 4th or 5th grade, other family members or friends can participate.
AmazonSmile is an amazing way to support Aspen at no cost to you! Simply follow the steps below and you will be earning money for Aspen whenever you shop.
On your smartphone...
- Open the Amazon app
- Click on the menu at the bottom right
- Select “AmazonSmile” from the list
- Search for and select “Aspen Parent Faculty Association”
On your computer...
From now until February 28, we will earn triple points for purchases at The Oaks Mall! School Cents is a competition between Aspen and other local schools. We are currently in 3rd Place! Every time you shop or dine at The Oaks Mall from September 1 through April 30, we can earn up to $2,500 for Aspen! To help raise money for Aspen, please drop your Oaks receipts in the new School Cents Box in the office. Or you can visit shoppingpartnership.com/theoaks/ and follow the instructions to submit your receipts. You can also email an image of your receipt to email@example.com and we will submit it for you.
We have earned $8442 from Box Tops! Please continue to scan receipts with the Box Top app to earn more money for Aspen. If we earn $8500, we will celebrate with a schoolwide popsicle party! Right now, you can earn 50 Bonus Box Tops ($5 worth) for buying 5 participating General Mills items until February 5.