THE FLIGHT RECORDER
Statesville Road Elementary's Weekly Newsletter
Principal's Point to Ponder
As you know, I am a huge fan of Super Soul Sunday on the OWN network. On a recent episode, I heard this quote from Theodore Roosevelt that was the impetus for the book Daring Greatly by Brene' Brown. When I heard the quote, I immediately thought of our staff and the work we do at Statesville Road everyday. Not all educators have what it takes to do what we do, nor do many educators choose to do what we do. So, for this week's point to ponder, I ask that you see yourself in the quote below and know that you are one of the ones in the arena, daring greatly.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt
Because you dare to give of your talents in Statesville Road's arena, you gain the respect from those who are on the outside and from those who dare not enter the arena. So, when (not if) we reach our goals of high achievement, all credit will go to you, the one's who give your all each day to our kids so they, too, can one day dare greatly. Thanks for all you do!
INSTRUCTIONAL STRATEGY OF THE WEEK
What's Happening This Week?
- Belated kudos go to the Vitamin K Team for holding a special parent meeting two weeks ago for the parents of students who are currently performing below grade level. Parents were given strategies and information to help their students at home.
- Kudos to Coach Davis, Coach Holoman, and the Statesville Road basketball team for winning 3 straight games at Saturday's basketball tournament. The team played some close, nail biting games, but came away with 3 W's and the played with great skill, teamwork, and sportsmanship! Kudos to S. Taylor, E. Taylor, Wood, Donnellan, S. McAfee, J. McAfee and Freeman for supporting the team with your presence at the game!
- Kudos to Ms. Hooker for consistently working with her 1st grade class to build up to 30 minutes of independent reading time. Her students know the procedures and are developing a love for reading self-selected texts.
- Kudos to the 5th grade teachers and students for showing tremendous growth on the DE science assessment #3. We are looking forward to seeing growth from 2nd-5th graders for the literacy and the math DE assessments as well!
- Heads UP: The third quarter ends on March 28th---just 2 weeks away! Are you collecting sufficient amounts of graded work to be able to give accurate quarter grades in literacy, math, science, and writing? Are you posting grades to your gradebook?
- The bookfair is in the Media Center this week. Ms. Snow will come to your classrooms during your scheduled media time and will take your class to visit the book fair during their scheduled media time.
- Please remember to keep your personal belongings (purses, wallets, cell phones, money, etc.) secured at all times. Our custodians report that they often see personal valuables left out in the open in classrooms that could easily be taken. Keep anything that you do not want to 'take legs' under lock and key.
Monday, March 17, 2014 (Day 1)
- Happy St. Patrick's Day (are you wearing green?)
- 8:10am: Teacher Assistants meet in The Nest
- 4:00pm: Opportunity Culture Design Team Meeting
Tuesday, March 18, 2014 (Day 2)
- 1st Grade Teachers to visit Pinewood (see email sent by Patterson)
- Kindergarten Teachers to visit Druid Hills (see email sent by Patterson)
- Stackhouse at Math PD (all day)
- Williams at General Principals Meeting (all day)
Wednesday, March 19, 2014 (Day 3)
- 3:30pm: T25 (Let's get back on track!)
- 4:15pm: NO FULL STAFF MEETING TODAY, but Mentors / Mentees will meet briefly (Media Center...refer to email sent by McCoy)
Thursday, March 20, 2014 (Day 4)
- McCoy at Title I Coaches Meeting (all day)
- 6:00pm - 8:00pm: PTA Family Dinner / Book Fair Open
- 6:30pm Third Grade Parent Meeting
Friday, March 21, 2014 (Day 5)
- School Spirit Day: Wear your favorite jersey
- Caught Soaring Award Day