The Trojan Times
Saint Maria Goretti Catholic School November 10, 2019
Dear St. Maria Goretti Catholic School Families,
Tomorrow is Veterans Day and we look forward to honoring our veterans. We will begin the day with Mass. After Mass, all Veterans are invited to enjoy refreshments/breakfast in the cafetorium, followed by our Veterans Day presentation in the gym. Again, all parents, families, and veterans are welcome to attend. All parents, guests, and veterans who plan to join us for Mass should go directly to the church. Please do not check in at the front desk before Mass. Any veterans who have not yet RSVP'd but would like to attend can still do so by visiting the sign-up at:
We look forward to seeing many of you there as we honor members of our SMG families who are veterans and all who have served our country.
Picture retakes and make-ups will take place on Wednesday. Though we will not be attending Mass on Wednesday this week, any student who was absent for picture day in August or who would like to have their picture retaken should wear their Full-dress/Mass Uniform.
Finally, we will be hosting our first Open House for prospective PreK and Kindergarten students on Tuesday, November 19th, 9:00-10:30AM beginning in the Library. If you know any families who may be interested in a Catholic education for their children, please invite them to attend the open house or call anytime for information and a tour of the school. We are advertising this event and St. Maria Goretti Catholic School through various mediums and communications, but the best advertisement comes from you, our wonderful SMG families!
Enjoy the rest of your Sunday!
St. Maria Goretti, Pray for Us!
Laura Behee, M.Ed.
UPCOMING EVENTS AND ACTIVITIES
Veterans Day Celebration: All family, friends and veterans welcome!
PreK and Kindergarten Open House!
Thanksgiving Food Drive: November 4-20
As the year passes and the season of Thanksgiving is near, families in need may not be able to have a day of thanks like most of us are able to enjoy.
Student Council is sponsoring our annual Thanksgiving Drive. We ask that you have your child bring $1 to assist in the purchasing of turkeys; we encourage students to make the donations from their own pockets, if possible. It would express thanks to God for all He has given them. In addition to the dollar, we ask that students bring one specific item for the drive. Each grade level is responsible for a different item for the the basket.
- Pre-K: box of mashed potatoes
- Kindergarten: 2 cans or packages of gravy mix
- 1st: boxed pie crust mix
- 2nd: 2 cans of pie filling
- 3rd: 16 oz. package of stuffing mix
- 4th: 2 cans of cranberry sauce
- 5th: 2 cans of vegetables (same type)
- 6th: small bottle of cooking oil
- 7th: 2 cans of fruit (same type)
- 8th: 2 cans of creamed soup (same type)
Mills Uniform Fall Sale: November 2-16
SMG Club Opportunities
Running Club: Pre-K - 8th Running Club meets from 3:30-4:15 pm (weather permitting). Nov. 7, 21, Dec. 5, 12, Jan. 14, 21, Feb. 4, 11, 18, Mar. 3, 24, 31, April 7, 21, 28, May 5, 12. https://ec-prod-sites.s3.amazonaws.com/12396/documents/2019/10/Running%20Club%20sign-up%20form%202019.pdf
Saint Cecilia Singers choir meets Monday from 3:30-4:15PM and is open to all 3rd - 8th Grade students.
SMG Ballet Folklorico: All interested 5th-8th grade students are encouraged to join! No dance experience is necessary. The group meets on Mondays from 5:30 to 6:30PM. For more information, please email Mrs. Zavala at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Library Aid Society: Open to all 4th & 5th Grade students; meets Thursdays from 3:30-4:15PM. Email Mrs. Cottingham for more information, email@example.com.
PSIA 2nd/3rd Math: Wednesdays 3:30-4:15PM firstname.lastname@example.org
PSIA 4th/5th Math: Wednesdays 3:30-4:15PM email@example.com
PSIA 6th-8th Math: Thursdays 3:30-4:15PM firstname.lastname@example.org
PSIA 6th-8th On-Site Drawing: Mondays* 3:30-4:15PM email@example.com *(days vary-see schedule)
PSIA 3rd-5th Ready Writing: Thursdays 3:30-4:15PM firstname.lastname@example.org
PSIA 6th-8th Ready Writing: Tuesdays 3:30-4:15PM email@example.com
Rubrik's Cube Club coming soon - watch for details
Chess Club coming soon - watch for details
Art Club FULL
SMG Gym Director Needed!
SMG is currently in need of a Gym Director for the remainder of the 2019-2020 school year.
Gym Director Job Description
- Assist sports coordinator with game day operations, including setting up the gym prior to all game days (basketball games are on Friday evenings and Saturdays) and tearing down gym after games.
- Assist sports coordinator with operation of concession stand by helping coordinate volunteer workers, setting up and cleaning up.
- Assist sports coordinator with the planning and execution of pre-season and post-season tournaments (Pre-season 7th grade basketball tournament will be the week of December 2, and the post-season 8th grade basketball tournament will be the week of February 17).
Hours per week will vary depending on game schedule, but will be between 4 and 8 hours during regular season. Tournament weeks will require more hours. This is an hourly, paid position. Please email or contact Ms. Seyer at firstname.lastname@example.org or Mrs. Behee at email@example.com if interested.
Outdoor Learning Center
Excavation for the Outdoor Learning Center & Garden is scheduled to begin in October, and we need your help! If you are interested in helping to build raised beds, install edging, planning, and helping to maintain the garden, please email Mrs. Behee (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Nolan Catholic High School Happenings
Uniform Requirement: Cardigan Sweaters
Students must have the required cardigan sweater as part of the Full Dress/Mass Uniform. Those out of uniform will be issued a uniform demerit and parents will be notified. Students in PK-5 wear the red sweaters and 6-8 grade students wear the navy blue sweaters. Please visit Mills Uniforms to purchase at https://www.millswear.com/UPL/3424.upl.html.
LAST WEEK AT SMG.....
Our Faith Families gathered together to offer prayers of thanksgiving for all of the good gifts that God has bestowed upon all of us.
Blessings is our Faith Families topic for this month. We talked about what a blessing is, discussed a book called, The Blessing Jar, and shared some of the blessings we have in our lives as well as the blessings we have through our Catholic faith. We ended our whole-group assembly with the 1st and 2nd Grade students singing, It is Good to Give Thanks, then leading the entire student body in the singing of that song.
Households are homeroom classes which come together on Friday afternoons to pray, hear and reflect on Sunday's gospel and build community within the homeroom classes. Saint Maria Goretti Catholic School had our first Household Mass last Wednesday. Each Household has a name and students created banners that represent their Household.
NJHS and STUCO Bake Sale
Kindergarten Art Class: Oil Pastels and Paint
Kindergarten: Born of the Spirit John 3:8
Library: "If a book is well written, I always find it too short" ~Jane Austen
Computer PowerPoint: Keyboarding and Drawing Tools
PreK-4 Phonics Turkeys
PreK-4 Bill Goats Gruff
Spanish Day of the Dead: Remembering Our Loved Ones
Soda Bottle Saints on Display
Faith Family Saint Posters Displayed Outside Classrooms
School Website Under Construction
Pardon our reconstruction.....we are in the process of cleaning up and updating the school website. This is a work in progress, and we ask for your patience as we work to improve the site. In the meantime, if you are unable to find information you are looking for on the website, please feel free to call the office.
- Monday, 11/11: Veteran's Day: Mass 8:00AM, Refreshments 9:00AM, Presentation 9:30AM; Art Club Mtg 6th-8th grade 3:30-4:20PM; Saint Celicia Singers 3rd-8th 3:30-4:15PM; PSIA 2nd-8th Spelling 3:30-4:15PM; PSIA 6th-8th On-Site Drawing 3:30-4:15PM; SMG Ballet Folklorico 5:30-6:30PM; Robotics Club 6:00-7:30PM
- Tuesday, 11/12: PSIA 6th/7th Reading Writing 3:30-4:15PM
- Wednesday, 11/13: Picture Retakes/Make-ups Day; PSIA 2nd/3rd Math 3:30-4:15PM; PSIA 4th/5th Math 3:30-4:15PM; PSIA 1st/2nd Creative Writing 3:30-4:15PM; PSIA 4th-6th Maps, Graphs & Charts 3:30-4:15PM
- Thursday, 11/14: Butter Braids Delivered at School; Art Club (1st-8th) 3:30-4:20PM; Library Aid Society 4th/5th 3:30-4:15PM; PSIA 6th-8th Math 3:30-4:15PM; PSIA 3rd-5th Ready Writing 3:30-4:15PM.
- Friday, 11/15: Robotics 3:30-6:30PM; Progress Reports emailed to parents
- Monday, 11/18: Art Club Mtg 6th-8th grade 3:30-4:20PM; PSIA 2nd-8th Spelling 3:30-4:15PM; SMG Ballet Folklorico 5:30-6:30PM; Robotics Club 6:00-7:30PM
- Tuesday, 11/19: PreK and Kindergarten Open House 9-10:30AM; PSIA 6th/7th Reading Writing 3:30-4:15PM
- Wednesday, 11/20: PSIA 2nd/3rd Math 3:30-4:15PM; PSIA 4th/5th Math 3:30-4:15PM; PSIA 1st/2nd Creative Writing 3:30-4:15PM; PSIA 4th-6th Maps, Graphs & Charts 3:30-4:15PM; Robotics 6:00-7:00PM
- Thursday, 11/21: SMG Running Club 3:30-4:15PM (weather permitting), Art Club (1st-8th) 3:30-4:20PM; Library Aid Society 4th/5th 3:30-4:15PM; PSIA 6th-8th Math 3:30-4:15PM; PSIA 3rd-5th Ready Writing 3:30-4:15PM
- Saturday, 11/23: Robotics Competition
- Monday, 11/25-Friday, 11/29: Thanksgiving Break; No School
Catholic Diocese of Fort Worth
Serving the North Texas Catholic community by providing the faithful opportunities to grow in Christian discipleship and strengthen their relationship with Jesus Christ.