October 24, 2016
Second quarter is here! Wow, where has the time gone? I am absolutely floored by how quickly the first quarter progressed,and I am eager to see what the rest of the year has in store for us.
I am confident that second quarter will be even better. As I go into classrooms, it is clear that sound instructional strategies are being employed and that there is a commitment to developing relationships. These are key to improving student achievement.
Thanks for all that you do for our students. Have a great week!
- Congratulations to Kevin Welch on being the DECA Missouri Vice President. Way to go!
- Congratulations to Anthony Kristenson on being recognized at the board meeting for winning the Robert F. Kennedy Award for Journalism. http://fhsd.sharpschool.net/cms/One.aspx?portalId=995782&pageId=26810424
- Congratulations to Shelly Parks on being awarded the Emerson Award for Excellence in Education. http://www.fhsdschools.org/cms/One.aspx?portalId=995782&pageId=27266785
- Congratulations to Rae Ann Noah and Michelle Hug on being staff members of the month.
- Congratulation to Rob Stegeman on receiving staff-to-staff Award.
PLC Leader Meeting Tuesday October 25th @ 2:30-3:30 in the Learning Commons
PD Committee Meeting Thursday October 27th @ 2:30-3:30 in the Learning Commons
AP Teacher Meeting Tuesday November 1 @ 2:30-3:30 in the Learning Commons
STAT Team Information:
STAT team will be meeting on November 9th to work with new referrals and follow up with students who have already been identified.
For those of you new to North or those that need a refresher our STAT team meets with students who have been identified by teachers and counselors as needing extra support. The STAT works to help those students that are struggling by providing them with a check in system, guided study hall or other interventions necessary. If you have any questions regarding the process, please feel free to e-mail me or stop by.
EOC Achievement Data:
Attached is the presentation that was shared in the faculty showing our EOC scores from last year. There are a lot of great things happening here at North! I appreciate the time, effort and support you provide for All of the students here.
On Friday Oct 21st we held our 3rd Fun Friday in the Commons. That morning about 20 students who have above 90% attendance were selected for prizes. We appreciate the donations from KOE, the Activities Office and others who are helping us to recognize our students.
We are still in need of adults in the building who would be willing to be Attendance Allies for some of our struggling students. This is a very informal mentoring program where you just check-in with students who have had concerns around attendance. The Committee to Improve Attendance truly appreciates your support.
Thank you for your feedback on Wednesday at the faculty meeting. If you would like more time to read through the comments, please let Erin know, and she will set up a time for you to view them. The administrative team will use your feedback to make tweaks to the Climate SIP as we move into second quarter.
Behavior Leadership Team Meeting Summary
The Behavior Leadership Team met this week and analyzed first quarter behavior data for FHN. FHN had a 12.4% decrease in discipline referral percentage of students on Free/Reduced lunch during 1st quarter.
The Better than Carrots or Sticks books study will begin next week (After school on 11/3 in room 5/8).
Thank you again to Brian Santos for presenting on Screencast-0-matic and Jing. If you would like to review the resources he shared, please see the attached slide show; you can also view his presentation by clicking on the link below.
2016-2017 Staff Commitments to the Learning Environment
In order to improve the climate/environment at FHN, the staff commits to:
1. building positive relationships with students and staff members.
2. listening to the concerns of others and by helping to problem solve those issues.
3. helping students to see the relationship between effort and success.
4. being open-minded to new ideas.
5. addressing any inappropriate behavior immediately to help set an expectation of appropriate hallway and classroom behavior.
6. giving clear and consistent expectations for device use and by enforcing them.
7. counting tardies consistently.
"Shout out to Brian Santos on presenting at our last Lunch-n-Learn!"