Cato MCHS Campus Connector
December, 2022 Volume 4, Issue 4
From the Desk of Ms. Johnson
I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving holiday! It's hard to believe it's the end of our first semester!! Seniors are getting closer to their big day! Many of you have asked about the graduation date. As soon as we receive the date, I'll be sure to send it to both students and parents as I'm sure you're ready to plan your grad parties and trips.
Mr. Smith's surgery went well and he is home recovering. He is available to assist students. Email him at email@example.com or call him at 980-277-1159.
CPCC classes end on December 9th. Final exams for high school classes are scheduled for December 14-16.
AVOID A FINANCIAL OBLIGATION! Look for an email soon regarding process for returning CPCC textbooks. CMS does NOT cover financial obligations.
SENIOR TRIP DEADLINE EXTENDED until December 9th. The initial payment of $39 is due by December 9th.
Parent involvement and support has been great this semester! Thank you! KUDOS to the parents who have already joined PTSA. Membership is $10 for parents and $5 for students. Information on how to join is shared below.
PROM TICKETS are on sale for our April 29th prom. Tickets are $75 and NON-REFUNDABLE. Tickets must be purchased by February 17th. Students may invite one guest. Guest cannot be older than 20 years old.. A Guest Form must be completed and approved prior to purchasing a ticket for the guest.
SAVE THE DATES!
- January 5, 2023 , 10:30-11:15 m Required Meeting for ALL JUNIORS., Cato III Auditorium. Topics include semester 2 Requirements, Program Continuation Requirements, etc.
- January 10, 2023, 6:30 p.m. Parents of juniors should plan to attend a Zoom meeting
Join me in congratulating the following seniors on their college acceptances and scholarship offers:
- Ayah Abdulkareem, accepted to Wingate University ($112,000), Averett University ($20,000) and East Carolina University
- Malychia Abudu Clark, accepted to Long Island University and St. John's University ($116,000)
- Constance Agabor, accepted to Winston Salem State University, UNC-Charlotte, and NC Central University
- Naomi Blalock, accepted to Wingate University ($116,000)
- Lyanette Cerda-Mira, accepted t Western Carolina University and William Peace University ($64,000)
- Mitchell Cooper, awarded a $5,000 scholarship from Wells Fargo
- Amiah Coxton, accepted to Fayetteville State University
- Raj Dalsaniya, accepted to Eastern University ($84,000)
- Sumayyah Elkhouly, accepted to UNC-Charlotte
- Hafsa Ezeagu, accepted to Wingate University ($112,000)
- Nyla Frambach, accepted Wingate University ($112,000), Western Carolina University, UNC-Greensboro, and Lees-McRae College
- Hanna Getahun, accepted to UNC-Greensboro and UNC-Pembroke ($122,000)
- Tori Jarrett, accepted to Wingate University ($122,000)
- Jacques Mulowayi Mbiya, accepted to UnC-Charlotte
- Berina Music, accepted to Wingate University ($112,000), UNC-Charlotte, and Johnson & Wales University
- Janiah Pulliam, accepted to Appalachian State University ($15,000), Tennessee State University, Western Carolina University and Virginia State University
- Allyson Waddell, accepted to East Carolina University, Western Carolina University and Wingate University ($112,000)
Scholars should send ALL college acceptances and scholarship offers to Mr. Smith or Ms. Johnson.
Wishing everyone a safe and enjoyable Winter Break!
Time to Order CMCHS Yearbooks
Campaign Date # 1
- December 12 - December 23, 2022
- Cost $40.00
Campaign Date # 2
- January 16 - January 27, 2023
- Cost $45.00
Campaign Date #3:
- February 13 - February 24, 2023
- Cost $50.00
Place Yearbook Ad- Click here for more details
- Deadline Extended to January 9, 2023
Parents: Are you Missing our Text Messages?
Parents of Juniors,
- Please sign up through Remind. Text @catojrpar to 81010.
Parents of Seniors and Grade 13
- Please sign up through Remind. Text @catosrpar to 81010.
- Cato 2 Building, Rm 270
- Signup here to schedule an appointment: https://www.cpcc.edu/academics/resources/tutoring
CPCC Digital Literacy Learning Space
- Get on-demand, rapid, personalized assistance in the following categories: Library Research, Technology & Brightspace.
- Make an online appointment: https://cpcc.libcal.com/appointments/online#s-lc-public-pt
- NOTE: This link will be added to Cato MCHS Linktree
Cato PTSA Information
Our December PTSA meeting is scheduled for Thursday, December 15th at 6:30 p.m.
Join Zoom Meeting
- Meeting ID: 665 983 4013
From The Desk of Mr. Smith
LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION
Grade 13 and Graduating 12th grade students,
When requesting letters of recommendation in Naviance, it must be a Cato staff member. If requesting recommendations outside of Cato make that request in the Other Recommender section of Common App. You may also request your recommender to send a letter via US Mail. Provide them with the college's office of admissions address.
Please contact your teachers or anyone that you are requesting a letter of recommendation from asking for the recommendation letter prior to them getting the automated request via Naviance or Common App.
On Common App you will be reporting your weighted rank and GPA. 4.0 scale.
Additional information and important dates are available in the attached flyer. Prospective student and guest are also encouraged to attend an information session to learn more about Honors and our scholarship programs. We are offering limited in-person visits as
well as virtual information sessions throughout the semester.
These scholarships you can self endorse and apply.
- North Carolina State University Goodnight Scholars- Due Dec. 1
- Clemson University Lyceum Scholars- Dec. 11
- Going Merry November Scholarships- Various Due Dates for November
- You have to create a Going Merry Account or google the scholarships to get to the application
- University of North Carolina Greensboro Guarantee Scholarship- April 1, 2022
College & Scholarship Acceptance Letters
Congratulations to all for the college acceptances and scholarships that you have been awarded thus far. Please email or bring me a copy of all college acceptance letters and merit scholarship letters awarded (even if you are not attending the school). Go Cato!!!
The Financial Aid/Niner Central Office is offering one-hour virtual appointments for students and families to receive assistance with completing the FAFSA. Appointment time slots can be found here. They can also email firstname.lastname@example.org or call at 704-687-8622 with any questions that they have.
Please be reminded to update your resume in Naviance. In an effort to paint the best picture of you as possible you need to include as much volunteer service, extracurricular activites, and academic awards that you've accomplished. This is the resume that faculty and staff at Cato will use to write your letters. Let's Go Cato!
Naviance and Common App email addresses must be the same to match the accounts. See me if you have questions.
As you know our 2 primary platforms to use with our college application process is with Naviance and Common App. Another resource you may use with career planning, scholarships, financial aid and other college admissions topics is via CFNC (College Foundation of North Carolina.) You can create an account or you can simply use the site as a resource.
From The Desk of Ms. Wilkins
Meck Pathway Internship
- Informational Session, January 31 @ 9:00 am
- See flyer: MeckPathways
Studio 345 internship
- Classes start January 9
- See flyer: Studio 345
NCDOT Aviation Art Contest- with cash prizes!
- Aviation Art Contest, which is open to students born between 2005-2016 (ages 6-17)
- Entries must be RECEIVED by Monday, January 17, 2023.
- Read more about the theme at https://www.fai.org/yac-contest-theme
- The contest rules, entry forms, and the required Certificate of Authenticity can be found at https://www.ncdot.gov/divisions/aviation/aviation-art-contest/Pages/contest-rules.aspx
Bank of America Internship
As a Student Leader, you'll:
- Work as a paid intern at a local nonprofit for eight weeks
- Attend the weeklong Student Leaders Summit in Washington, D.C.
- Develop leadership and career skills
- Connect with like‑minded students from your own community and across the country
Applications for the 2023 program are now being accepted through January 13th, 2023. Students who have submitted nominations will be notified of their application status in April 2023.
- Go to www.bankofamerica.com/studentleaders to learn more and to apply
- Employment with the Y begins at the age of 16. If you have interest in working in afterschool or aquatics those positions begin at a pay rate of $11.25 and includes a free Y membership. Please browse our website for the opportunities you’re looking to apply for. Website: https://www.ymcacharlotte.org/mission/join-the-mission/work-ymca-charlotte/career-opportunities
- If you are looking for opportunities to Level Up (Teens Night Out) program please follow this link: https://www.ymcacharlotte.org/programs/teens/level-up
- If you are looking for opportunities to Volunteer please follow this link: https://www.ymcacharlotte.org/mission/join-the-mission/become-a-volunteer
Atrium Health's PATCH Scholars Program
If you're interested in healthcare and a recipient of free or reduced price lunch, then you ae qualified to apply. Click here: https://redcap.link/PATCH2023
CMCHS- COVID 19 Protocol Flowchart
Refer to the CMCHS- COVID 19 Protocol Flowchart if you:
- Have been in close contact with someone who tested positive
- Have tested positive
- Have symptoms
NOTE: Should you meet any of the requirements above, please complete the Confidential Covid Screener google form located on the CMCHS- COVID 19 Protocol Flowchart.
21-22 SCHOOL ANNUAL NOTICE LETTER TO PARENTS
Month of December and January
- Sametria Gill
- Kayla Foster
- Salmaan Hassan
- Leila Musao
- Stacy Velez
- Quay Atkinson
- Raj Dalsaniya
- Amanuel Teshome
- Serigne Fall
- Carlos Gonzalez
- Sylvia Anderson
- Perri Patterson
- Sournpanha Vuth
- Nusayba Hashi
- Liana Williams
- Rogelio Ramos Castillo
- Morgan Sinclair
- Letrell Grady
- Marina Alexander
- Ivan Mahatha
- Emory James
- Ikram Kassim
- Aniyah Robinson
- Teagan Bradford
- H'Melisa Buonkrong
- Jordan DeShazor
- Mitchell Cooper
- Harun Mohamed
- Yohannes Getahun
- Marvelous Dwanah
- Bella Ammirato
- Anthony Jimenez
- Madison Bing
- Alexa Santos