The Spencer Scoop
Spencer Elementary October 7, 2022
Dear Spencer Families,
We had an amazing week here at Spencer! SPIRIT week is always full of fun and excitement and this week was no exception. I am looking forward to the Homecoming Parade and game tonight...hope to see you there!
Pink Week Totals
WOW! Over $12,000 was raised last week during our Pink Week Coin Wars! Thank you for you generosity and sending in those coins each day. Look for the Spencer's Top 3 class winners in the PTO section of the Scoop. The totals for the elementary buildings are as follows:
Spencer - $5,126.83
Hornung - $4,500
Hilton - $2,465.81
Hawkins - $159.93
News from Physical Education
● My name is Jennifer Peters and this is my 7th year at Spencer.
● My email is: firstname.lastname@example.org
● For the safety of all students, please send your child to school with sturdy shoes that will
not fall off during exercise.
● No flip flops, sandals, boots, high heels, or crocs please.
● Knowing how to tie shoes is both important and empowering for students. I have included
a few fun videos that you can use to help them learn!
● Physical Education at Spencer shares the space with the cafeteria, so most classes do not
have access to a drinking fountain. Water bottles are allowed and encouraged.
Medical Notes/Injured Students:
● I see students for 55 minutes every four days, which gives me only one day per week for
most classes. That being said, I really want to utilize every minute that I have with all
students. If your child is injured, please provide a medical note from the doctor with
whatever restrictions he/she may have. I will provide a safe space for your child to do
classroom work or read a book. If your child does not need a medical note, but might have
a body part hurting, I will encourage him/her to do their best and rest or sit out if needed.
Michigan Physical Education State Standards:
● I follow the Michigan.gov state standards for Physical Education.
● I need to assess many areas of growth and development for all students here at Spencer.
● I observe locomotor skills often. Your child will have a comment in their report card if
he/she is not able to perform some/all of the locomotor standards.
● I focus on skills not sports. We learn, practice, and then apply all skills.
● Physical skills that I focus on include: throwing (underhand and overhand), kicking,
dribbling (soccer and basketball), climbing (rock wall), locomotor skills (walk, run, skip,
gallop, sideways, backwards, and hop), striking with implements (rackets, sticks, bats),
rolling (balls, hula hoops, bodies), using scooters, relay races, basic games, and jumping
(jump rope, lines, dots, boxes), stretching, spatial awareness, and muscle development
(heart, lungs, and bodies).
● Social Skills that I focus on include: playing nicely, good sportsmanship, how to win and
lose gracefully, using kind words, following directions, being safe, respecting equipment,
adapting to games where someone wins and someone loses, saying “I can’t, YET” when a
skill is hard to do.
● If you’d like to meet with me about your child’s progress here at Spencer, please email me
for a meeting or phone call set up.
Spencer Halloween Parade
Picture Retake Day
Your 2022/23 PTO Board is:
President: Jen Lumsden
Vice President: Nicole McGhee
Treasurer: Anna Gibson
Co-Secretary: Jacquelyn Turkovich
Co-Secretary: Amber Gaines
Our 10th Annual Roadrunner Run is already next week! On October 14, we will have a fun run from 2:15-3:45. This is our first major fundraiser for the year and we will need lots of help! If you are available, please sign up for a spot here! This is a fun event for everyone and will happen rain or shine, so be prepared for the weather!
New this year!!! We have partnered with Get Movin' Fund Hub to allow online donations. In order to participate in this platform, you will need to register your student through their portal (more information attached below), then simply share their personalized link with family and friends and watch those donations come in! We are hoping this will make donations simpler for everyone. You are still welcome to send cash or check with your student if you prefer, we are just offering more options. Our school goal is to raise $12,500. The winning class will get to paint the spirit rock AND have a fun class pizza party!
On October 27th, we will be hosting a Trunk or Treat. If you would like to participate by decorating a trunk, please head over here to sign up! We will have two food trucks, some outdoor games, and of course lots of trunks! We ask for plenty of candy donations for this event, so if you would like to send a bag or two in, please do so at any time. We will collect them from the office daily.
I also have a couple new passive fundraising options to share:
- Now that Picture Day is behind us, when you order prints from Shutterfly, head over here first! The PTO will earn a small percentage back for every order placed through this link. This is also a good place to order those holiday cards!
- Our Lost and Found is overflowing!!! Did you know that we go through the clothes in the lost and found about once a month and really TRY to get your things back to you? Unfortunately, most items have no names in them, so we can't get them back. We have now signed up for a passive fundraiser through Mabel's Labels. These are cute, washer safe name tag labels you can stick inside your children's clothing, or on any other belonging which will make it so much easier for us to get them back to you! Just type in Spencer Elementary School (Brighton) to get started.
Finally, as promised, the Coin Wars results from last week are in! Our Roadrunner's raised over $5000 and raised more than any other Brighton Elementary School! Spencer's top 3 classes were:
1st Place: Sobo
2nd Place: Salerno
3rd Place: Ball
10/13 - PTO Meeting 4:10
10/14 - Roadrunner Run!
10/26 - Dine Out Night (MOD Pizza), benefitting 4th Grade Farewell
10/27 - Halloween Event 6-8pm
Welcome back to another amazing year here at Spencer Elementary. I am so excited to begin working with students this year to help facilitate and promote social-emotional growth and learning! I will be providing classroom lessons, small group activities, and individual support this year.
As a reminder, your school counselor is here to support children with social-emotional concerns that are impacting their success in the classroom. We will begin working with individuals as needs arise within the months of September and October. I look forward to offering small peer groups in October. If your child is struggling at school, we will work together with the classroom teacher to determine whether or not school-based services would be beneficial. We may also be able to offer resources or contacts if your family believes that outside support is an option.
The Elementary Counselor Team also has the BAS Elementary Counseling website for ideas and resources to be used at home! Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns that you may have, and I will do my best to support your child.
Mrs. McKiddy Mrs. Fox
Mrs. McKiddy Parent Referral Link: bit.ly/ParentReferral22-23
Mental Health Wellness Tips
As a district we are increasing our efforts to support the Mental Health and Wellness of our students, families and the community. We are increasing our efforts on Relationships, Student Wellness, and Increasing a Mindset for Learning and Growth. These Tips/Resources are one of the many ways we are increasing our efforts. Additional resources and information can be found on the BAS Wellness & Mental Health website.
Spencer Parent Resource Guide
Our AMAZING Administrative Assistant put together this Spencer Parent Resource Guide! This is filled with important information and answers to most (if not all) the questions you may have.
Extra Change of Clothes
Parents - PLEASE pack a change of clothes in your child's backpack EVERY DAY. This is for ALL grades, you never know when your student may have a nosebleed, or loose a tooth, or spill food on their shirt, or find a mud puddle outside, or have an accident. We have already had to contact quite a few families to come up with a change of clothing. If your student keeps a change of clothes in their backpack, then we can take care of it here, otherwise we will need you to bring up a change of clothing. Thank you for your cooperation.
COVID-19 School Guidance
Keep students home when they are sick.
- If your student does test positive for COVID-19, report the student’s illness to the school.
- Also report the student’s illness to LCHD using the COVID-19 Self-Reporting Form for Students and School Staff
3rd Grade Girl Scouts
Events Around the District
Jump Start 2022
BHS Dramatic Arts
PETER AND THE STARCATCHER: How did Captain Hook lose his hand? How did Peter Pan learn to fly? How did Neverland get its name? Find out as BHS Dramatic Arts hosts Peter and the Starcatcher Oct. 28-30 at the BCPA. For times, tickets, and more information on this funny, family-friendly prequel to Peter Pan, visit bhsdramaticarts.com.