Location of Battle
Robert E. Lee
Who won? Who Lost?
- The Union won the war, The Confederacy lost
- Both sides lost 22,000 soldiers
Why was the Battle of Gettysburg important?
- It was a key battle that finally turned the tide against the Confederates
Why was it fought?
- To end the Confederacy’s last full-scale invasion of the North
- Gatling gun, faster-loading rifles with rifling in the barrels, and the new, deadlier ammunition called the min-ball
- The Battle of Gettysburg was the deadliest battle of the Civil War. There were around 46,000 casualties including nearly 8,000 deaths
- The soldiers had to deal with hunger, bad weather, poor clothing, an boredom between the battles