Student Success Newsletter
MLSS - MULTI-LAYERED SYSTEM OF SUPPORTS 📚
As we move into assessment season, here is a link to the PED Curriculum and Instruction Website. This guide provides the instructional scope and sequence which aligns with the summative assessment.
TESTING & EVALUATION 📈
IMPORTANT ASSESSMENT INFORMATION...
- ACCESS Window is open through March 10, 2023
- AVANT Window is open and you can start this assessment once the ACCESS is complete
- Alt ACCESS field tests have arrived and will be delivered to your campus most likely next week.
- DLM - Teachers who will be administering this assessment should be working to complete the online training.
- SAT Accommodation Request Window closes on Feb. 21, 2023
- Intervention teachers will continue to progress monitor and document interventions via the Panorama platform using data from Academics, Behavior, Coursework, Attendance and SEL for Layers 2 and 3.
- Intervention teachers may modify their schedules if permitted by their campus administration to accommodate participation in Sylvan tutoring.
SEL - SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING 💞
We continue to see great things happening in our district. We are definitely moving toward the right direction with our SEL. Thank you all for all your hard work.
- Campus Visits: Tina Tompkins, Capturing Kids Hearts Strategist, will be visiting GAC's EC campus along with Berino, Chaparral, and Loma Linda Elementary Schools.
- Capturing Kid's Hearts Cultural Shapers: On Feb. 17, 2023 several GAC office personnel and district IA's are attending Capturing Kid's Hearts Cultural Shapers. IF the school administrator did not submit their campus IA's name to me prior to Feb. 1st, thee will be another opportunity for Cultural Shapers training next school year. We have a full house at 200 people attending this experience.
- Flagship Capturing Kid's Hearts Experience in Albuquerque: On Feb. 23-24, 2023 several staff members, elementary teachers and counselors will be attending Flagship Capturing Kid's Hearts Experience in Albuquerque.
- OBQ (Olweus Questionnaire) URLs were sent to your counselors in mid-January. The deadline for the OBQ's is Feb. 17, 2023. Once all elementary schools have completed the OBQ's, I will submit it to Hazelden who will then send us the results.
- Please keep in mind every staff member who has attended Capturing Kids Hearts training has access to resources and lessons on the Capturing Kids Hearts website.
SEL is NOT an INTERVENTION....
Why is SEL not an intervention?
Intervention - is an act of interfering with the outcome or course. It is related to something that is specific & in a certain point of time. Social emotional learning is promoting a set of competencies & a way of being, it's an approach, to instill lifelong skills, mindsets & behaviors that support better academic social & interpersonal outcomes for all. SEL is a way of life!
Using Valentine's Day for Social Emotional Learning - Songs for Teaching Blog
Valentine's Day can be a day of delight for some and a day of disaster for others. While it is supposed to be a day devoted to love, many children often feel strong feelings of rejection, jealousy and loneliness. Not to mention the awkward situations that arise confusing romantic love and friendship.
Edutopia is a free source of information, inspiration, and practical strategies for learning and teaching in preK-12 education. We are published by the George Lucas Educational Foundation, a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization.
7 Social Emotional Learning (SEL) activities to use in your classroom
Social and emotional learning (SEL) is at the core of learning and development. Research suggests teaching social emotional learning activities to develop life skills significantly improves behavior, attitudes, employment, classroom management, and academic achievement. Consistent SEL practice results in productive habits that shape student learning and life experiences.
30 Social-Emotional Learning Activities for Every Classroom
How do I integrate social emotional learning? This is a question many educators are asking themselves. The good news is that there are countless ways to add SEL into the classroom, without it taking over your entire day.
✨SCHOOL COUNSELING ✨
February Is Teen Dating Violence Awareness & Prevention Month
👉Signs of Teen Dating Violence
Romantic relationships between teenagers are incredibly complicated. The undertaking of a relationship, very often, requires more maturity than most teens have developed. These relationships are more likely to be riddled with problems include communication, jealousy, and selflessness.
As a result, teenagers are more likely to be involved in relationships that are unhealthy, violent, and/or abusive. If you are a teenager involved in a romantic relationship it is important to understand the behaviors that may point to an unhealthy and/or abusive relationship.
TEEN DATING VIOLENCE RESOURCES
How Do You Know If You Are in an Unsafe Relationship?
An unsafe and exploitative relationship can be very dangerous for you. Here is a series of warning signs that may help you identify if you are in an unsafe relationship.
**If you are experiencing some of these warning signs, seek help from a professional organization that works with people in domestic and family violence situations.