3L Weekly News
Week Ending December 19, 2014
This week in...
Reading: we read a realistic fiction story titled Kamishibai Man written by Allen Say. The story took place in Japan and was about a Kamishibai who told stories to children. The book also discussed the effects the invention of television had on the Kamishibai’s job. During this story, we discussed the effects new inventions can have on people’s lives. In addition, we worked on the target skill: cause and effect and the strategy: monitor and clarify. Please continue to reinforce the concept of monitor and clarify with your children. We discussed ways to monitor and strategies to clarify such as re-read, read ahead, look at pictures. Each student did an outstanding job working with cause and effect! At home, encourage your child to identify cause and effects in their personal readings and explain it to you! We will continue working with this story next week by completing a Digging Deep activity.
Math: this week we used arrays and multiplication/division diagrams to solve division word problems. We practiced our multiplication facts and reviewed the importance of fact power and used multiplication/division grids to solve multiplication problems. We also learned how to play Multiplication Baseball to practice our multiplication facts. Lastly, we completed stations, a practice test, and wrapped up Unit 4 with an assessment.
Writing: we worked in small groups to focus on skills to enhance our writing. We worked on elaboration, transitions, and organization. Additionally, we used resources to find more information to enhance our informational books. Finally, we participated in an inquiry process that asked students to examine introduction/conclusion strategies from a mentor text and include these strategies in our books.
Social Studies: we began to learn about landforms and brainstormed why people build homes near various landforms. Additionally, we discussed the benefits of building near these formations. Students worked together to identify types of landforms like: mountains, plains, plateaus, mountains, islands etc. Additionally, we learned more about specific landforms in the United States. We will be working with partners on a project to create foldables for 6 different landforms. We began to learn how to take notes and determine which information would be useful for our project.
Cursive: we learned how to create the lower case "i" in cursive and connect it with other letters c,a,d,g,h,t,p,e,l,f, u, and y.
Check This Out!
Wow! We have the best PTA. They purchased interactive responders for the 3rd grade to share. :-)
Students are able to read a question, examine the options, and "buzz" in a response. Then, as a class, we can look at the answers and discuss the answers.
The View from a Child's Desk
The responses are anonymous, but I have the ability to review each student's response. It's a great way to record data and makes a discussion more fun!
**THANK YOU...for your assistance in prepping your child for his/her assessments this week. I know the holidays are a busy time of year and it felt like there are many assignments/assessments this week. As a 3rd grade team, we felt it was best to wrap up as much as possible before the long break.
- We will have our spelling assessment on Tuesday, December 23rd. Yes, Tuesday is a Day 5, but I felt it was better to wrap up these words and start with new ones when we get back from break (on Day 1).
- Please continue to encourage your child is updating his/her Reading Log! It should be filled out every time a student FINISHES a book.
- An important way students grow is by learning from their errors. When students are asked to fix mistakes on homework, it's a way for them to understand where they went wrong. Please continue to encourage your child to correct and resubmit homework if the homework says "please fix."
- Each week, students will take a multiplication assessment. This assessment is NOT timed. However, it is important students memorize these facts. Flash cards and study aids will be sent home on Monday of each week.
Important Dates for 3L
Happy Birthday to:
- Please check our eBoard and contact me if your child would like to celebrate his/her birthday in school.
Poet of the Week:
- Justin: Friday, January 9th
- Poems must be submitted for teacher approval before a student presents!!
Star of the Week:
- Kevin: Monday, January 5th
- Michelle Smith: Friday, January 9th @ 8:40
- Schedule is attached to my eBoard under Guest Read Aloud
*Click the link below to my eBoard for additional details!
December 23, 2014- January 4, 2015 Winter Recess
January 8, 2015 Skating party 6:00-8:00
January 9, 2015 Spirt Day!
January 13, 2015 Elementary Band Rehearsal H.S. Aud. 7:30 am
January 13, 2015 Elementary Winter Concert H.S. Aud. 7:30 pm
January 14, 2015 PTA Meeting @ 9:15 am
January 15, 2015 Kindergarten Info Night @ 7:15
January 20, 2015 Beginner Band Rehearsal H.S. Aud. @ 7:50 am
January 20, 2015 Beginner Strings (Gr. 3) Rehearsal H.S. Aud. @ 8:25 am
January 20, 2015 Beginner Strings and Winds H.S. Aud. @ 7:30 pm
January 30, 2015 Spaghetti/Bingo Night @ 6:30 pm
Specials This Week:
Monday is a Day 4:
Tuesday is a Day 5:
A Word from Third
None at this time.