By: Makenzie Olp
Awareness and Prevention
Clearly, kidnapping has a negative impact on the world and is tearing families apart. Although kidnapping will always be around, there are a lot of ways to be more aware and to prevent it from happening to you. Janie is still on the search for her family, but her life won’t ever be the same again. Even though the world takes precaution, not every place in the world is safe. Kidnapping is a very serious problem, and unless you make the right decisions, you or someone you know could have their lives impacted forever. Some things you as a citizen can do to prevent it is make sure all of your friends and family know where you are at all times. Also, use the buddy system. Just in case, try to be able to identify the vehicle, what to person looked like, and lastly use S.K.Y. S.K.Y. stands for scream, kick, and yell because those things draw attention and could potentially save your life.
Real Life Stories
- Approximately 4,600 children are abducted by strangers (non family members) each year in the United States.
- There are approximately 120,000 attempted abductions per year.
- There are 300 long term abductions per year where the children are either murdered, never found, or returned to their families months or even years later.
- There are 354,000 children abducted by family members.
- There are 450,700 children who ran away
- There are 127,100 children who were thrown away
- There are 438,200 children who were lost, injured, or otherwise missing
This woman was kidnapped.
This is a flyer that is usually put places so people can see who is missing.
This is a picture of someone who was kidnapped and put in the trunk of the kidnappers vehicle.