5 great facts about Methane Gas!
Mike La Guardia
Learn great facts on Methane gas!
- It is the simplest alkane, the main component of Natural gas, and probably the most abundant organic compound on earth.
- Methane is a relatively potent greenhouse gas.
- Main reactions with Methane are, combustion, steam reforming to syngas, and halogenation.
- Methane's reactions are hard to control sometimes.
- In the combustion of methane, many steps are involved. The following equations are part of the process, with the net result being
- CH4+ M* → CH3 + H + M
- CH4 + O2 → CH3 + HO2
- CH4 + HO2 → CH3 + 2 OH
- CH4 + OH → CH3 + H2O
- O2 + H → O + OH
This is a really cool video, just thought i would share it!
Mythbusters - Soapy water + methane