Cerro Villa Vikings News
September 10th - September 16th: Weekly Publication
Cerro Villa Highlights - Great things Happening at CV!
Counselor presentation, Leadership, and Clubs all added to the successful night!
"Win the Day" at Cerro Villa
Here are a few ways to "Win the Day"
- "Flip the Script" on struggles/challenges and make them successes!
- Follow "Kaizen" - strive for continuous improvement each day!
- "Be Kind" - smile, say hello, look out for your fellow vikings! Remember - everyone is going through a battle we may not know.. Be Kind Always!
Cerro Villa Announcements
Monday, September 11th - Patriot Day!
From The American Presidency Project, Proclamation 10445—Patriot Day and National Day of Service and Remembrance, 2022:
“On September 11, 2001, ordinary Americans performed extraordinary acts of heroism. Firefighters and police officers rushed into crumbling buildings and raging fires to save others. EMTs, construction workers, colleagues, and strangers tended to the wounded. Passengers and crewmembers gave their lives to thwart another attack. And a generation of women and men answered the call of duty by joining our Armed Forces to defend our freedom and our democracy.
“These patriots—people of undaunted courage, uncommon resolve, and unwavering perseverance—are forever ingrained in our national character. They are reminders that we are a great country because we are a good people. On this Patriot Day and National Day of Service and Remembrance, we pay tribute to the heroes and victims who lost their lives on September 11, and we recommit ourselves to the spirit of unity, patriotism, and service that carried our Nation through in the days that followed.”
Thank You First Responders, and Active / Retired Military Personnel
A Padlet has been created for families to recognize and thank their family members. Please add any gratitude comments/pictures for our community to enjoy!
The following provided recognition to family members prior to the creation of the padlet:
- Mrs. Glickman - Nephew; Green Beret, Army
- Mrs. Baird - Father, OCSD 34 years, Retired
- ..................- Husband, USMC 20 years, Retired
- Mr. Ramus - Brother, Army 20 years, Retired; Two tours in Iraq and Afghanistan during Gulf War
- Zorola Family - Father (Jayson, CV alumni), Army National Guard 17+years; Three tours in Afghanistan and Iraq in Operation Iraqi Freedom, Operation New Dawn, Operation Enduring Freedom, and Operation Inherent Resolve
Cerro Villa Google Classroom
In the CV google classroom, students will find general school announcements from Mr. Jones and Ms. Fernandez. In the "Classwork" tab, additional resources are available:
1) Weekly Activities - So students know what's happening around campus and where.
2) The Daily Announcements (in case students need to refer back or did not hear them)
3) The Weekly CV Newsletter that is posted every Sunday evening. Check out highlights from last week and great things to happen in the weeks ahead!
Also published will be "Win the Day" goals for our Vikings!
OUSD Counselor SOS Presentation - September 25 - 29
Counselor Presentation of SOS to students will take place: September 25 - 29 during Science Class.
Dear Parent / Guardian,
Cerro Villa is committed to teaching students about positive mental health and how to seek
help if they are worried about themselves or a friend hurting themselves. We are using the
Signs of Suicide (SOS) to teach students about this difficult topic and encourages them to
SOS has been used by thousands of schools over the past few decades. This will be the third
year that CV will implement this program for all students. Currently all middle schools in OUSD
implement this program. Studies have shown that it effectively teaches students about
depression and suicide while reducing the number of students’ self-reported suicide
Through the program, students learn:
● that depression is treatable, so they are encouraged to seek help
● how to identify depression and potential suicide risk in themselves or a friend
● to ACT (Acknowledge, Care and Tell a trusted adult) if concerned about themselves or
● who they can turn to at school for help, if they need it
To read the entire Parent Letter - please click on the below link
Counselors will present SOS presentation during the PFSO meeting on September 18th @ 8:30 am
After learning about the SOS program and presentation, if you would like to OPT - OUT your child from participating, please complete the below form:
Meet your School Counselors
Cerro Villa is so proud of our School Counselors:
- Mrs. Glickman: A - H
- Mrs. Sampat: I - M
- Ms. Emter: N - Z
September is Attendance Awareness Month - "We Champion Attendance"
September is Attendance Awareness Month. Orange Unified School District continues to strive for high overall student attendance rates. Student attendance has a profound impact on student success, funding, and resources. As such, our attendance campaign for the 2023-24 school year will seek to promote positive student attendance through monthly recognition of schools that a) demonstrate the highest attendance rate for the respective month or b) demonstrate the most improvement from the previous month.
The theme of our campaign is "We Champion Attendance". In line with our theme, sites that are monthly winners will be presented with Traveling Championship Cups to display with pride in the main office. Elementary and Middle School Sites will have a school-wide BBQ (highest) and Pizza lunch (most improved) as an additional incentive for the students.
District STATS: 23-24 school year
- Attendance Rate: 95.14% (+2.16% from 22-23)
- Chronic Absentee Rate: 18.21% (down 25.21% from 22-23)
LET'S GOOO, VIKINGS!! "Win the Day" by attending school!!
Homework Help Available
SAFETY Announcements: PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW
- The City of Villa Park recently refurbished Serrano Ave. In doing so, the crosswalk at Dodson Way was removed. To keep the flow of traffic moving, this crosswalk will not be replaced.
- Students MUST cross at the Serrano Ave curve crosswalk OR Serrano/Featherhill Dr. crosswalk
- We understand this will cause an inconvenience in picking-up your child, BUT safety to all students and families is TOP PRIORITY.
- PLEASE DO NOT have your child cross Serrano in the middle of the flow of traffic
Leadership / Activities Announcements
https://www.cvpfso.org/ - visit the PFSO website to learn about all the opportunities to get involved.
What is the PFSO?
The Cerro Villa Parent Faculty Student Organization (PFSO) is a non-profit organization that assists the faculty and staff in enhancing the education experiences of our children.
The PFSO assists with many programs around the school, including dances, Student of the Month, Honor Society, and the 8th Grade Promotion Party. Without your support, these events would not be possible. Most importantly, the PFSO also supports the faculty and staff at Cerro Villa in acquiring items they need for their classrooms in order to enhance our children’s educational experiences.
PFSO Board Members
- President - Jason Forgash
- President Elect - Joy Nguyen
- 1st VP Membership - Erin Flynn & Megan Artherton
- 2nd VP Ways & Means - Michelle Tao & Kathleen Lim-Valle
- 3rd VP Programs - Jim Aichelman
- Secretary - Beth Brunett
- Treasurer - Michelle Tao
- Parliamentarian - Michele Norman
- Auditor - Wendy McGrane
- Dances - VOLUNTEER TODAY!
- Health & Safety - Shelly Johnson (8th) & VOLUNTEER TODAY!
- Honors Society Dance - VOLUNTEER TODAY!
- Fireworks - VOLUNTEER TODAY!
- Legislative Coalition Rep - Beth Brunett
- Staff Appreciation - Megan Artherton (7th) &
- Student of the Month - Kelli Takach
- Webmaster & Social Media - Beth Brunett (8th) & VOLUNTEER TODAY!
- 8th Grade Promotion - VOLUNTEER TODAY
Next PFSO meeting..
Tuesday, September 19th
8:30am in the CVMS Library
Our PFSO meetings are held on the THIRD TUESDAY of every month at 8:30 a.m. in the CVMS Library.
We hope to see you there!
Meeting Minutes are posted promptly for those who are unable to attend.
September 18th: Make-up Picture Day
September 19th: PFSO meeting and Coffee with Counselor, 830 am
September 21st: ELAC meeting, 8:15 am
September 22nd: 7th Grade Dance
September 25 - 29: SOS week, Counselor Presentation via Science Class
Parent / Orange Unified Information
Connect with OUSD
We invite you to take a moment to follow Orange Unified on social media to receive the district’s latest news and announcements. Social media may also be a critical line of communication during emergencies and will be an excellent place for you to get up-to-date information: Twitter | Facebook | Instagram
You can also check out videos featuring programs throughout the District, Board Meetings, school highlights, Measure S progress, graduation ceremonies, and more on our YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/OrangeUnifiedCA
New for this school year is the OUSD App, which is available for download in the Apple App and Google Play stores. Free for our families, the app allows users to see District-level news and events as well as customize their experience by selecting their school(s) of choice to follow to receive news and calendar information directly to their phones.
Orange Elks Lodge and The Community Foundation of Orange - 9.11 Event
Speakers include Fire, Police and City Officials, signing of the National Anthem, Color Guard presentation and more.