cheif justice john marshall
marbury vs. maddison
-a judge was appointed by Madison a few days before he was stepping down as president.
-Marbury sues Madison over the judge he appointed.
-the importance of this case is that he can get laws ratified.
Fletcher vs. peck
- This court case decided that the precedent is legal for contracts
-it made it so Native Americans don’t have the right to hold land
-the importance of this case is that it established that a legislature can repeal or change acts of a legislature, but it could not invalidate a previously contract.
Martin vs. hunter
-the state of Virginia made it legal to confiscate loyalist land.
- they had no right to overrule a state's ruling of a treaty without consent
- the significance of this case is that
Cohen’s vs. Virginia
- The operation of a lottery in the District of Columbia. The Cohen brothers proceeded to sell D.C. lottery tickets in the state of Virginia which was agnsed state law.
- Marshall declared the lottery ordinance a local matter
- In a unanimous decision the Court held that the Supreme Court had to review state criminals
Dartmouth vs. Woodward
-The New Hampshire legislature wanted to change Dartmouth a collage that was a privately funded institution into a state university.
-that all collages have to be state university
- The decision increased the power of the federal government over the states
McCullullogh vs. Maryland
-it was a tax that was put on all bank notes that were going into Maryland
- McCullullogh vs. Maryland established the a act that Incorporated Subscribers of Bank of the States
-a broad interpretation of the necessary and proper clause was the significance of this case