Second Grade Scoop
Mayfield Junior School - September 19, 2016
Thank You, Parents!
We enjoyed seeing the many parents who attended Back To School Night on Thursday! We are glad many of you were able to visit the D-Lab as well. Your support of Mayfield and second grade is sincerely appreciated. For those parents who were not able to attend, we hope you received your folder of information. Please let us know if you did not. We are looking forward to the year ahead!
First Day of Fall!
This Thursday, September 22, is the first day of Fall! Fall brings new colors, new smells, new foods, and new things growing in our gardens like pumpkins, squash, and apples. In second grade we will be doing some fun fall activities. We also look forward to having more fall weather soon!
Read Across America Begins!
We have reviewed the process and rules of the road for Read Across America with the second graders, and they are ready to get started! You will find Read Across America mileage sheets coming home with your child today. As your child fills out his or her first sheets, they may have questions. Please don't worry! We will continue reviewing and answering questions in class. Happy reading and safe travels along the way!
Second Grade Coffee - October 17 8:15am - 9:15am
Parents of second graders are invited to a morning coffee and information session with Laura Kennedy and your three second grade teachers in the Hayden Performing Arts Center. You will have an opportunity learn more about second grade, hear from some of the second grade enrichment teachers, and have the opportunity to ask and hear answers to questions raised since Back to School night.
2nd Grade Halloween Play
The second graders have begun practicing for their Halloween Play! We will continue to give you information on the play as the date approaches, but be sure to mark your calendars with the date and time. The play is on the morning of the Harvest Festival, at 11am in the Hayden Performing Arts Center, on October 28th. The second graders will wear their Halloween costumes to school that day, and will wear their same costumes in the play. We will send you a sound link to the music so your child can practice the songs at home. Stay tuned!
2nd Grade Work Fills our Classrooms!
In second grade we have been learning about God's creation of the world and everything in it. Here is a prayer to remind us that we alone are responsible for the care of God's creation. Sometimes children are our best reminders of this! In this second grade year, our service will have us caring for God's earth and the plants that grow so beautifully in our gardens, providing food for the people on earth.
Important Dates for Second Grade
- All School Opening Mass - Sunday, 9/25, at 4:00pm
- School Picture Day - Wednesday, 9/28
- Johnny Appleseed Celebration - Friday, 9/30
- Mass of the Holy Spirit (Concert Dress) - Thursday, 9/29 at 8:30am
- School Families begin with the Mass on 9/29
- Founder's Day Mass (Concert Dress) - Thursday, 10/13, at 8:30am
- Second Grade Coffee - Monday, 10/17, 8:15-9:15am
- Parent Conferences - Thursday & Friday 10/20 &10/21, (Sign-up times will be offered online.) No School/Extended Care Open 7:30am-6pm
- Harvest Festival and 2nd Grade Halloween Play at 11am - Friday, 10/28
- Parent Sacramental Meeting - Thursday, 11/3, 6:30pm, HPAC
- Book Fair Family Night - Thursday, 11/10
- No School - Friday, 11/11
- Book Fair - 11/14-11/18
- Thanksgiving prayer service - 11/22, 9-10am
- Thanksgiving Break - 11/23-11/25