January 15, 2015 (Volume 15)
- Local Career Center Open Houses & Applications (NEW date for Herndon!)
- Summer Experience Deadlines Approaching Quickly!
- Bank of America Student Leaders
- Job Opportunities
- MAKE IT! Contest
- College Visits
- MCC - Mobile Enrollment @ LSN - Wednesday, Feb. 17, 2016
- College Fairs/Events Throughout the Metro & Beyond
Financial Aid & FAFSA
- FAFSA Frenzy - Sunday, Feb. 28, 2016
- The Scholarship "MASTER"
- Scholarships with Jan/Feb Deadlines & "Just-in's"
Tech Programs: Applications Available + Open House Information
Attention Sophomores & Juniors!
Can you believe it is already time to begin thinking about course selection for the 2016-2017 school year?!?! As a junior or senior at LSN, you have the opportunity to apply to one of our three surrounding career centers: Summit Technology Academy, Herndon Career Center, and Cass Career Center. Applications are now available!
Summit Technology Academy (STA) in Lee’s Summit and Herndon Career Center in Raytown will be holding open houses in January and February. Students interested in any STA or Herndon programs and their parents/guardians are encouraged to attend these events.
Summit Technology Academy
Application with instructions: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx5J7Kwg_oFka3Vmd3g2a3VQSEtqRGtFMk1xRnAxY0pvWDE0/view?usp=sharing
Come check out the amazing opportunities @ Summit Tech Academy during any of the STA Open House Nights: Tues., February 2, 2016. Sessions run as follows:
- 6:00-6:30 PM "Early Planners" session for Middle School students and their parents
- 6:30-8:00 PM STA Classroom Open House (come-and-go style)
- 6:30-7:00 PM & 7:00-7:30 PM Missouri Innovation Campus (MIC) Program Presentation**
**At each of these open house events, current sophomores and their parents will also have the opportunity to learn more about the Missouri Innovation Campus. Students that fit the MIC profile...Algebra I in 8th grade, interest in STEM careers, great attendance, and the desire and determination to take college courses while in HS and complete at 3-year, paid internship with a great corporate partner...should attend these informational sessions.
Herndon Career CenterApplication with instructions: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx5J7Kwg_oFkaklHRG9EV21MNl9GMlZwdTdwTm5yWWV6d0Ew/view?usp=sharing
- Wed., January 27, 2016 from 5:30-7:00 PM (new date; Herndon closed 1/20/16)
- Parents/students are not required to RSVP for the event. They can come and go as they like. Students are encouraged to tour the program(s) that most interest them.
Cass Career Center:Students interested in any Cass Career Center programs should visit with their counselor; applications can be obtained from Ms. Seitz in the LSN Guidance office. There will be opportunities to tour Cass Career Center in the spring.
Summer Experience Deadlines Approaching Quickly!
RYLA (Missouri Rotary Youth Leadership Award Academy)
Attention Sophomores! Are you interested in a leadership opportunity over the summer? Parents/Teachers, do you know a motivated, natural leader in the sophomore class that would enjoy an opportunity to build upon their skills in this area? Please contact Ms. Keltner in Guidance to submit a nomination by this upcoming Wednesday, Jan. 20th. (Jessica.Keltner@lsr7.net or 816/986-3051)
The candidate(s) chosen will enjoy a leadership-driven, 3-day experience at William Woods enhancing their abilities to shine within their class and among their peers. Must be available June 26th-29th, 2016.
Bank of America Student Leaders Program
Deadline to apply: Jan. 29, 2016
- Work as a paid intern at a local non-profit for eight weeks in the summer
- Attend the week-long Student Leaders Summit in Washington, D.C. (July 10-15, 2016)
- Develop leadership and career skills
- Connect with like-minded students from your own community and across the country
Jobs Available @ Paradise Park
*Contest* MAKE IT!
- Deadline: Mar. 25, 2016
- Prizes include (2) HD Digital Camcorders + more
- Music Video, Narrative, Documentary, Animation
- 1-10 mins. in length
- Original Material of from the Public Domain
- You may submit more than one project
College Visits - Spring 2016
- Univ. of Nebraska-Lincoln: T, 1/26 @ 1p
- Columbia College: W, 1/27 @ 10:15a
- Northwest Missouri State Univ.: R, 2/4 @ 1p
- Univ. of Central Missouri: W, 2/10 @ 10:15a
- Truman State Univ.: T, 2/23 @ 10:15a
- MidAmerica Nazarene Univ.: W, 3/2 @ 10:15a
University of Tulsa Spring Visit Line-up
Monday, Jan. 18th, 8am
800 South Tucker Drive
· Financial Aid Workshop – January 31 – open to parents of high school seniors
· Tulsa Time Overnight Visit Program – February 14-15 – open to high school seniors and their parents
· Tea & Talk for Parents – March 6 – open to parents of admitted students
· TU Up Close for Juniors – March 25 – open to high school juniors and their parents
Discover Law Day
Saturday, Jan. 30th, 10am-2pm
500 East 52nd Street
Kansas City, MO
UMKC School of Law high school and college students are invited to the University of Missouri - Kansas City School of Law’s annual law school preview day. Participants will have the opportunity to:
- Hear from practicing judges, lawyers and faculty about the legal profession
- Attend a mock class
- Ask questions of current students and admissions staff
- Pizza lunch will be provided
Family members, teachers, and/ or mentors are welcome. RSVP at http://tinyurl.com/UMKCdiscoverlaw2016
DISCOVER LAW DAY Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 816.235.1644
MCC Mobile Testing
Wednesday, Feb. 17th, 8:45am
(LSN) LMC Rm. 2148
You must reserve your seat by completing this form: http://goo.gl/forms/1eCwfGT8eD.
Note: If you have taken the ACT, Ms. Keltner can assist you in determining if any portion of the test is necessary; please submit this form to spark that conversation.
Enrollment in MCC Fall classes will occur on April 20th - you will receive additional details after testing; sign-ups for this field trip will be required.
Future Teacher & International Advocacy Day @ Avila University
Thursday, Feb. 18th, 9am-2pm
11901 Wornall Road
Kansas City, MO
The FAFSA is Open!
Below this box are links to the following steps in this process (and it is a p.r.o.c.e.s.s!):
1. Get your FSA ID
This is used to confirm your identity when accessing your financial aid information and electronically signing your FAFSA documents. Both parent(s) and students will need their own individual FSA ID.
2. Begin completing your FAFSA
For the best results, complete what you can now and begin asking questions early; easing stress and anxiety over upcoming deadlines.
3. Get your/your parent's taxes filed ASAP
Set a goal of filing taxes by early/mid-February.
4. Use the Data Retrieval Tool (DRT)
Approx. 3 weeks after filing your taxes, most students/parents will be able to log in the to FAFSA and use this tool to electronically complete the tax section(s). The DRT retrieves your tax information from the IRS website and "dumps" it all into the correct fields in that section fo the FAFSA - takes all of about 30 seconds! It's awesome (and extremely efficient)!!
5. Submit the FAFSA
Double check the information throughout the form, and submit it by the college's deadline. Some institutions have a March 1st deadline; the [MO] State Aid deadline is April 1st (most MO colleges/universities go by this deadline as well). If you are unable to get taxes done and your FAFSA submitted by April 1st, call the college and ask about additional options for your situation.
Parents: as tempting as it is to do your student's FAFSA for them, please take a moment to consider "why" you feel the need. In most cases, it is advisable to encourage your student to do as much as they can on their own, first, and then follow up on any lingering questions TOGETHER. Your student will need to know why certain information was input on the form so they can answer potential questions from their future college/financial aid advisor. In higher education, the student is expected to be able to speak for themselves. Due to privacy laws, colleges cannot speak to parents like we can at the secondary level. You will need to complete the parental tax section for them, I'm not asking you to hand over that information to your student. I am simply advising that it be the only section you complete on your own, on their FAFSA. I don't mean to be harsh, I'm just trying to prepare you for what to expect in this phase of you and your student's lives. :) This is an excellent opportunity for student growth and for them to show off everything you've taught them about independence and self-advocacy!!
FAFSA Frenzy 2016
Sunday, Feb. 28th, 2-4pm
850 Northwest Chipman Road
Lee's Summit, MO
Join us to get FREE assistance completing your FAFSA!
The Scholarship MASTER
Scholarship searches do take a considerable amount of time but can pay off big-time in the long run. I challenge you to make this your "8th class", starting as early as your Sophomore year. Consider dedicating a minimum of two hours per week to your search. This way, you can break it into manageable chunks and get familiar with the process early on, easing the stress of last minute searching. Statistics show that, on average, you will earn one scholarship out of every 10 applications. Ready....and.... GO!
James L. & Nellie M. Westlake Scholarship Program
- Deadline: Feb. 1st
- Full ride + $2,000 (for fees, books, supplies)
- HS Senior (or MO community college freshman/sophomore, transferring to a univ.)
- Candidate will need to register to gain access to the application
Lee's Summit Chamber of Commerce
- Deadline: Feb. 10, 2016 (Ms. Keltner will hand-carry to the Chamber office)
- HS Seniors
- Demonstrate a strong work ethic, a commitment to community involvement, an endless pursuit of continued growth and improvement in all facets of their lives
- Deadline: [postmarked between] Jan. 1 - Feb. 10, 2016
- 2.5+ GPA
- Must have a documented learning disability*
*See Ms. Keltner to request nomination* (only one applicant per school allowed)
- Deadline: nominations must be submitted to Ms. Keltner by Thurs., Feb. 12, 2016
- HS Senior
- Min. 3.0 GPA
- Demonstrate financial need and commitment to community
Create-A-Greeting-Card Scholarship Contest
- Deadline: Feb. 25, 2016
- Must be at least 14 yrs. old and attending an accredited educational institution
- 1 entry per person
Missouri Society of CPA's Scholarship
- Deadline: Feb. 26, 2016
- HS Senior, MO resident (or child of an MSCPA member)
- Majoring in Accounting at a Missouri higher education institution
- Must be an MSCPA member (join here: http://www.mocpa.org/students/student-membership/hs-app)
- Complete application (https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/23RKBCY)
- Recommended by teacher or administrator (https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/2FRLVJR)
1,000 Dreams Fund
- Deadline: Feb. 28, 2016
- Up to $1,000
- High school age female
- Must demonstrate financial need
- Funds can be used for educational conferences, instructional programs related to creative or artistic pursuits, or tuition
*JUST-IN* Coolidge Scholars Program (JUNIORS!!!)
- Deadline: Mar. 18, 2016
- $$$ FULL-RIDE!!! (covers tuition, room/board, and expenses for FOUR years of undergraduate studies and leadership training)
- HS Juniors
(Test Date / Registration Date / Late Registration Date ($25 late fee)
April 9 / March 4 / March 5-18
June 11 / May 6 / May 7-20
See below for LSN Prep Course Info!
YOUR LSN GUIDANCE TEAM
Rebecca Seitz (A-D) 986-3036 email@example.com
Robin Gray (E-La) 986-3020 firstname.lastname@example.org
Laura Hillbrand (Le-R) 986-3018 email@example.com
Shelley McCain (S-Z) 986-3021 firstname.lastname@example.org
Tina Faulker (Social Worker) 986-3003 email@example.com
Karla Barnhill (Registrar) 986-3017 firstname.lastname@example.org
Valerie Meuschke (Admin. Asst.) 986-3003 email@example.com
J. Keltner (College & Scholarship Coor.) 986-3051 firstname.lastname@example.org
Harris Deutsch (ReDiscover) 986-3087 email@example.com