AIS Friday Flash
Friday, November 18, 2022
AIS Cross Country
Our runners did a fantastic job at this week's cross-country meet at Strickland School and most of them placed! Congrats to all for your hard work: Giulia P., Livia P., Silas C., Mari M., Lydia D., Colomé C., Luis F., William J., Yelena K, Yasmine A., & Donovan W. Stay tuned for more details about the next meet after the break.
Wado to APL! A Celebration of Native American Heritage
An essential element of true international education is to learn about and celebrate host country cultures. We wish to extend a very big thank you--or Wado in Cherokee--to Austin Public Library for celebrating National Native American Heritage Month with us this week. Students had the opportunity to learn about the culture and traditions of First Nations, including studying cultural artifacts, hearing traditional folklore, and even learning to sing the traditional Cherokee morning song We n' de ya ho, which reminds us to protect the world we live in. Again, Wado, Qaĝaasakung, Ahéhee', Wopida, Quyana, Yokoke, Elahkwa, Miigwech, and Askwali to APL and all those who have helped share and celebrate Native American cultures with us!
Bravo to Our DELF A2 Recipients!
We are very proud of our students who received their official DELF A2 Diplomas this week from the French Ministry of Education. Félicitations to the following students: Carew A., Grace A., Abram A., Carina A., Oliver B., Marlène B., Chloé C., Colome C.-D., Lola C., Andrea D.-LL., Omar E., Noah G., Sara H.-J., Amelia J., Mateo K., Aroa M.-S., Ella M., Ellianna M., Olivia N., Jacob N., Ryan N.-C., Sophia N.-C., Benoît N., Oliver N., Roman P., Stanislas S., Jakob S., Sam S., Brooklyn T., Samuel V. C., Gabriella V., Galen V., William W., Isanne W., Michael W., Micaela Z.Y., and Yannick Z!
We were thrilled to open our doors once again to our families and share the fantastic class projects and student work for our International Week. Thank you for honoring other countries and cultures with us and listening intently to our student presenters today. We are also so very proud of our great educators who worked so hard on leading the charge of the festivities, dances, skits, and learning. Please enjoy some of the memories captured below.
Thanks to the PTOs for the recent staff appreciation efforts. They helped support PTC chocolate goodies and today they dropped off donuts, coffee, and fruit! Thank you to Nikl Burke and the PTO leadership for your kindness!
Student Council Food & Toy Drive
Our Student Council Representatives are hosting a Food/Toys Drive from Monday, November 14th through Friday, December 16th with food donations benefitting the Central Texas Food Bank. Their goal is to reach at least $1,500. We need your help to reach our goal via monetary, food, and toy donations for this student council project. Bring food/Toys to school and place them in the Food/Toys Drive boxes at reception. Please do not donate scary, or electronic, battery-powered toys.
FOR FOOD ITEMS, we are accepting:
canned chicken breast or tuna
canned low-sodium vegetables
canned fruit in its own juice (no sugar added)
dry pinto beans
non-fat dry milk powder
100% whole grain cereal
Be sure to give:
healthy, non-perishable food
items with intact, un-opened, consumer or commercial packaging
items with non-breakable packaging (no glass please)
food within the expiration date on the packaging
FOR TOYS (we need new toys), we are accepting:
Cute stuff animals
Please let us know if you have any questions and thank you for participating in our Food/Toys Drive!
A Month of Thanks
As we launch into the Fall season, there are several ways to give back to the AIS school community during this season of giving including:
- Krispy Kreme Digital Dozen - For the entire month of November, purchase a dozen donuts through this link, pick up your dozen(s) at any area store, show them your redeem code, and give thanks to your favorite teachers, postman, service provider, or anyone needing a little kindness, and the school will receive 50% from Krispy Kreme for every dozen sold!
- Give to our 2022 - 2023 Annual Fund campaign via a 100% tax-deductible donation. Annual Fund donations are usually the only discretionary/non-designated funds the school receives to support ongoing growth and program needs and fosters long-term sustainability. Give to make an Impact and Inspire Meaningful Progress And Change Together. This year as we grow, we focus on making connections. Your gifts help connect the school's goals and strategic plans with the necessary funds to enable that change. We are asking each family to give $65 per AIS student to help us reach our fundraising goal by December 31st! If you are unable to give that amount at this time, every amount makes a connection and impact!
- Build with a Brick - For families new to AIS (or those who have not yet purchased a dedicated individual student brick), we will be tearing out the uneven stone path in front of the school and installing the 20th anniversary and school logo mosaic along with bricks dedicated to our amazing students (only one student name per brick). While we encountered previous delays due to contractor issues, we have secured a partner who is ready to take on our project. However, we have more bricks to sell to fill the pathway first! So, help us create a lasting memento for your AIS child(ren) by purchasing a brick here and filling out this form for the dedication. Bricks are $150 each.
- November Spirit Event at Modern Market - On Wed., 11/30, Modern Market in the Arboretum is hosting our spirit event all day from 11 am to 9 pm. Please soft RSVP to secure the event. Then, pick up lunch for the office and either dine in, order online, or get to go for dinner and the restaurant will generously donate 30% back to our school. Check out the flyer for more event details.
- Other ways to give - Does your employer offer matching donations or have an employee giving program? Inquire with your own HR representative and help us grow your dollars further! We also can support quarterly or monthly giving to make an impact but spread out your gifts in more manageable amounts. Inquire for more information.
Thanksgiving Break/No School - 11/21 through 11/25
We look forward to giving thanks and celebrating with our friends, family, and loved ones. We wish all our community members a safe and fun-filled Thanksgiving break. We look forward to seeing you back on campus on November 28th.
PTO Meeting - Tue, 11/29, 5:30 pm
The Parent Teacher Organization will hold a community meeting on Tuesday, November 29th at 5:30 pm in the Science Lab in person or virtually. All faculty and parents and guardians are encouraged to attend.
November Spirit Event at Modern Market - Wed., 11/30 11:00 am - 9:00 pm
On Wed., 11/30, Modern Market in the Arboretum is hosting our spirit event all day from 11 am to 9 pm. Please soft RSVP to secure the event. Then, pick up lunch for the office and either dine in, order online, or get to go for dinner and the restaurant will generously donate 30% back to our school.
- First, thank you for RSVPing to secure the event
- Dine in: Don't forget to mention AIS at the register when ordering
- Phone Orders: Call 512-400-3677 and mention you are ordering for the AIS Spirit Event
- Web Orders: visit www.modernmarket.com and use code "giveback019" to track your order to our event
- Enjoy and thank you for supporting AIS Spirit Nights. 30% of proceeds will go back to our school.
PTO Community Coffee - Thur., 12/1 8:30 - 9:30 am
Join other community members as the PTO hosts the December morning coffee. These coffees are informal gatherings and a great way to connect with other AIS families.
Winter Open House - Sat., 12/3 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
AIS will open our doors to host an event for prospective families interested in joining our community. We encourage other AIS families and students to attend to help welcome our guests. Members of our faculty and student council members will also be on hand to introduce our school.
AIS French Market - Fri., 12/9 4:00 - 6:00 pm
Our Middle School students are organizing a local market at school with French vendors, live music, crepes, hot chocolate, and more on Friday, December 9th from 4 to 6 pm. Please come and join in the festivities and fun!
Save the dates
Mark these important upcoming dates on your calendars.
- November - All Month Spirit Event: Krispy Kreme Digital Dozen
- 11/21-11/25 Thanksgiving Break
- 11/29 AIS PTO Meeting
- 11/30 Spirit Day at Modern Market
- 12/1 PTO Coffee
- 12/3 Winter Open House
- 12/9 AIS French Market