March 23 - March 27
iCan@KHES Staff Meetings every Thursday from 3:15 - 4:30
March 26 - no meeting due to Science Fair
April 2 -Reflection & Critical Thinking (rescheduled from March 5)
April 9 - C & I will be sharing information about Summer PD offerings
April 16 - STAAR training review (more info. to follow on who is needed for this meeting)
April 23 - topic to be shared soon
Upcoming Dates to Remember
3/23 - Character Assembly (NEW DATE)
3/26 - Science Fair
3/26 - PTA General Meeting/ Mad Science presents "Fire & Ice"
3/30 - 4/1 - CLOSED CAMPUS DUE TO STAAR TESTING
3/30-3/31 - 4th graders will be taking the Writing STAAR test
4/8 - Spring Creek BBQ Spirit Night
4/10 - PTA General Meeting & Cosmic Bowling
Science Fair - Please Read
- 4th grade only - students will look for their homeroom teacher's name so they know which tables to place their board on. 4th grade teachers will be in the hallways to help.
- 3rd grade only - students will go to the 3rd grade hallway when they come in and find Mrs. Juro. She will direct them to the tables where they will place their projects.
- Kindergarten, 1st and 2nd grade students only - students will go to the PD room right across from the Music room and place their projects on a table. Kinder had 9 sign up, 1st grade had 10 and 2nd grade had 15 sign up. Committee members will set up the PD room the day before and will be placing grade level signs on tables. Susan has also offered to help arrange the projects on Thursday during her conference period.
All students in Kindergarten - 3rd grade who participate in the Science Fair will be receiving a Spirit Stick. Stephen will pass these out on Friday to the grade level committee members. All 4th grade students will receive a participation certificate. 4th grade teachers should have received these certificates from me electronically so that you can print them for your students.
Three students in both 3rd and 4th grade will receive certificates and ribbons in the following categories:
- Best Use of the Scientific Method
- Most Creative Use of Materials
- Most Original Science Project
Gary Mantz, director of HR, Scott Stepter, Science Coordinator and Mr. Paul Hafey, KHES parent will be at the school on Thursday at 1:00 to judge the projects.
At the end of the day on Thursday, Tamara has offered to help move the winning projects to the center tables in front of the library. Other committee members are encouraged to help as well. Susan has offered to write the names of the winners on the ribbons. I will forward the certificates to Jenni and Jane, so that the names can be entered and printed off in color on cardstock. I will be attending a training on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday next week.
Winners will be announced by me at the PTA meeting at the conclusion of the Mad Science, "Fire and Ice" presentation and on the Friday Morning announcements. The PTA meeting will begin at 5:45 and the "Fire and Ice" show starts shortly thereafter. The presentation consists of dry ice fog storms, bubbling potions that trap gas inside and chemical reactions. The students should love it. The presentation is about 45 min. long. April has contacted them to ensure they keep it at 45 minutes.
On the night of the PTA Meeting/Science Fair, families will enter the building through the gym foyer doors. The front entrance and main hallway will be closed off to all visitors until after the announcement of our winners. At that time, all families will be invited to walk the halls and view all of the hard work of Keller-Harvel's future scientists!
One person from the grade level should try to come to the Science fair. I understand schedules are hectic and will be very understanding. Please do your very best to have a representative there.
Make up Day information
- We must have two inclement weather make up days built into our instructional calendar. Our two days were Feb. 16 and April 6
- We had a snow day after Feb. 16. We are making up one of our snow days on April 6.
- In order to make up our second snow day, the district is now calling Friday,May 22 our second inclement weather make up day. We are also calling it a District PD day. Since this DOES NOT affect students/families at all because we are already scheduled to be in school that day, we will not have to add any additional days to the calendar, like on Saturday, June 6th.
- Professional staff WILL have to make up 6 hours of PD time. The district is going to provide me with 6-one hour modules that we will be able to use during our regularly scheduled faculty meetings.
- So, we don't have to come to school on Saturday, June 6th. We don't have to change the instructional calendar for our students/families. We don't have to track/document anything on our own. You've already scheduled yourself to be in faculty meetings every Thursday for one hour. It's a 'win-win" scenario!
- I have not received the modules yet. Once I receive them, I will let you know when we will start. The topic for all modules will be "Writing Across the Curriculum"
Nominations for GT testing and screening will be accepted until 3:30 pm Friday, May 1st for grades 1-11. This date isn’t flexible as we each have to schedule testing at multiple campuses which can be quite challenging. Testing materials must be ordered for younger grades, too. GT testing begins Monday May 11th, and we begin the race to complete it within our two week testing window.
Teacher Transfer Fair
The Teacher Transfer Fair Day will be on Tuesday, March 24th at 4:00 p.m. in the Texas Rooms at the Education Center. If you registered to attend, you have been given a scheduled appointment time.
2015 Early Resignation Notice Incentive/Perfect Attendance Incentive HAS BEEN EXTENDED!
In order to assist campuses with planning for the 2015-16 school year, Keller ISD is again offering an Early Resignation Notification Incentive of $750 to the first 100 teachers and other professional instructional staff such as counselors, librarians, diagnosticians, LSSP, nurses, etc. who submit a resignation/retirement letter to their campus principal by March 31, 2015. This early notification will help principals determine staffing and recruitment needs for next year. In addition, teachers who submit their letter by March 31, 2015 will receive an additional $250 for perfect attendance from April 1 through the end of the school year. To be eligible, the employee must be on a probationary, term or continuing contract. This information is in DWW on February 25th.