The Kid Food Bible
Frozen Yogurt Pops
Prep time: about 1 to 2 hours
- 1 8-oz. container of your favorite flavor of yogurt
- small paper cups
- wooden popsicle sticks (available in craft stores)
- plastic wrap
- Pour yogurt into paper cups. Fill them almost to the top.
- Stretch a small piece of plastic wrap across the top of each cup.
- Using the popsicle stick, poke a hole in the plastic wrap. Stand the stick straight up in the center of the cup.
- Put the cups in the freezer until the yogurt is frozen solid.
- Remove the plastic wrap, peel away the paper cup, and eat your pop!
Serves: 3 to 4
Waffle Grilled Cheese
1 1/3 cups milk
2 tablespoons butter melted
Sandwiches4 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
4 slices cooked bacon
1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (2 oz)
1/2 cup shredded Gruyère cheese (2 oz)
- 1. Heat waffle iron. In medium bowl, mix Waffle ingredients until combined. Pour half of batter at a time into waffle iron, and cook according to manufacturer’s directions.
- 2. In 10-inch skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat.
- 3. Cut waffles in half. In small bowl, mix mayonnaise and mustard; spread on 1 side of each waffle. Top 2 of the waffles with bacon and cheeses. Top with other 2 waffles, and place in hot skillet. Cook about 5 minutes on each side or until golden. Serve immediately.
Healthy Chocolate & Mint Mousse
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 ripe banana
- 2oz dark chocolate (60% cocoa)
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp milk (cows milk or dairy free milk)
- 1/4 tsp peppermint
- Add all the ingredients to a blender and blitz until smooth.
- If the mousse is a little too thick add another tablespoon of milk.
- Spoon or pipe into ramekins. Serve immediately or keep in the fridge for up to 6 hours.
Egg Fried Rice
For the marinade
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp sake
Half tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp caster sugar
For the rice
1 chicken breast cut into small cubes
6 oz basmati rice, rinsed in cold water and then drained
2 oz carrot, peeled and diced
4 tbsp vegetable oil
1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
Salt and pepper
1 beaten egg
2 oz frozen peas
1 large spring onion, sliced
2 oz canned sweet corn
- Mix together the ingredients for the marinade and marinate the chicken for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice in boiling, lightly salted water according to the instructions on the packet .Steam the diced carrot for 8 minutes and half way through add the peas so that they are steamed for 4 minutes..
- Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan, add the onion and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Season the beaten egg with a little salt and white pepper, pour it into a small frying pan (approx 18cm) , tipping the pan to spread it evenly, and cook until set. Remove from the heat slide out the thin omelette and cut into fine slices.
- Drain the marinade from the chicken and reserve. Add the chicken to the onion in the wok and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes until cooked. Add the spring onion, carrots, peas and sweetcorn and cook for one minute.
- Add the cooked rice and prawns and toss the rice over a high heat for 2 minutes. Add the strips of egg and the reserved marinade from the chicken and heat through.
Yogurt Fettuccine Alfredo
1 pound fettuccine noodles
1 small garlic clove, chopped
1 cup plain yogurt
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Dash of pepper
Dash of nutmeg
- Bring a stockpot of water to a boil and add the pasta and simmer according to the directions on the box. To make this dish even healthier, use whole wheat noodles.
- Chop the garlic and add it to the boiling water with the pasta. This mellows out the garlic and infuses the pasta with its flavor.
- In a large mixing bowl, invite your child to measure and add the yogurt, salt, and Italian seasoning. Give the mixture a stir.
- Once the noodles are cooked through, turn off the heat, strain, and return the noodles to the hot pot. Add the butter and toss so the pasta is coated.
- Carefully add the pasta to the yogurt mixture and stir until the sauce is evenly distributed.
- Sprinkle with the parmesan cheese and give it another toss. Serve with extra cheese and a dusting of salt and pepper and a hint of nutmeg.
Makes four large servings
What you need:
- 1½ pounds sweet potatoes
- ¾ cup chickpeas (also called garbanzo beans), undrained
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Cooking spray
Equipment and supplies:
- Measuring cups/spoons
- Food processor
- Large bowl
- Sheet pans
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Steam or boil sweet potatoes until barely tender, approximately 15 minutes. Let cool.
- Peel cooled potatoes. Shred them using a grater or food processor.
- Puree chickpeas, including liquid, until smooth.
- Combine shredded sweet potatoes and chickpeas in a large bowl.
- Add oil, salt, pepper, onion powder, and cinnamon. Mix well.
- Spray sheet pans with cooking spray.
- Scoop heaping tablespoons of the mixture and place 1 inch apart on prepared sheet pans.
- Bake in oven for approximately 10-12 minutes, until starting to brown.
Cream Cheesy Cucumber Sandwiches
What you need:
- ¾ cup light cream cheese, slightly softened
- half a large cucumber, thinly sliced
- 8 slices of whole-wheat bread
Equipment and supplies:
- Large knife
- Cutting board
- Plastic wrap (optional)
What to do:
- Spread each slice of bread with cream cheese (about 3 tablespoons per sandwich).
- Place about 4 cucumber slices on 4 of the slices of bread and top with remaining bread slices.
- Cut into quarters and serve immediately or wrap sandwiches and save for later.
Fresh Fruit Burritos
4 6-inch flour Tortillas
4 tablespoons creamy Peanut butter
4 medium fresh Strawberries
1 medium fresh Peach
1/4 cup fresh Blueberries
4 tablespoons vanilla Yogurt
- Wash fresh strawberries, blueberries, and peach; peel peach, halve and remove pit.
- For each burrito, spread 1 tablespoon peanut butter evenly on a flour tortilla to within 1/2 inch of edge. Onto each tortilla distribute in a line along the center 1/4 sliced banana, 1 sliced fresh strawberry, 1/4 thinly sliced peach and approx. 1 tablespoon blueberries. Drizzle 1 tablespoon vanilla yogurt over the fruit.
3. Carefully fold one side of tortilla over the fruit, tucking the edge under the fruit so it's not too loosely packed. Roll the folded & tucked portion of the burrito towards the other side; the peanut butter will help hold it together.
If desired for small children, cut the burrito in half crosswise, using a diagonal cut. Enjoy
Super Orange Smoothie
2 cups fat-free Milk
1 6-ounce can frozen Orange juice concentrate
2 teaspoons sifted powdered Sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
4-6 large Ice cubes
In a blender, combine milk, orange juice concentrate, powdered sugar and vanilla.
Cover and blend until smooth.
With the blender running, add ice cubes one at a time; blend until smooth and frothy.
Sunny Snack Bar
2 cups Carrots, finely shredded, about 3 medium carrots
1/4 cup dried Apricots, chopped
1/2 cup golden Raisins
2 cups quick cooking Oats
1/2 cup Walnuts, chopped
1 12 ounce can Apple juice concentrate, thawed
pinch of Cinnamon
Heat oven to 350°. Combine all dry ingredients and mix well. Add apple juice concentrate and stir until evenly moistened. Place in a greased 9x11 glass baking dish, pressing ingredients firmly into pan. Bake for approximately 40 minutes, or until bars are brown. Allow to cool completely before slicing.
Makes 18 bars.