February Faculty Meeting
Tuesday, February 3, 2016
ACS DISTRICT GOALS
Expand access to district preschool programs and ensure our preschool students meet district achievement goals.
We will strengthen core instruction so that all subgroups will be successful without the need for a supplemental instruction as measured by number of students receiving interventions.
The Whole Child-Resiliency. Adaptation. Success.
Asheville City Schools will assess and restructure operational systems in an effort to address the needs of the whole child by providing opportunities to ensure all students graduate college and/or career ready.
CLAXTON SCHOOL IMPROVEMENT GOALS
Create a more inclusive school culture by equipping staff with new strategies for recognizing and supporting the strengths and needs of the whole child.
Goal #2 Academic Achievement
62.6% of our black students will be proficient in reading by 2018 as compared to in 2015.
Goal #3 Academic Achievement
61.2% of our black students will be proficient in math by 2018 as compared to in 2015
Goal #4 Whole Child
Increase parent involvement of our at-risk student population as identified by students in the red or yellow on MCLASS DIBELS/TRC.
STAFF SHOUT OUTS
- Thank you to the Sharpen the Saw Team for upgrading the staff bathrooms.
- Thank you to all the staff who have helped our new teachers feel welcome and supported.
- Thank you to the staff members who have stepped in at the last minute and given tours.
- Thank you to Christine Jones for the Twitter board. We would love to add more birdies to the board.
- Thank you to Chic-fil-a for lunch.
- Thank you to the staff who have agreed to make a donation to the Light the Night Auction.
- Thank you to the custodial team for their work.
- Thank you to everyone who has supported MClass and MAP assessments.
- Others . . . .
First Friday @ Asheville Pizza on Merrimon Avenue
- Austin Bell, Financial Advisory for VALIC
- Travis Durham, Legal Shield
Asheville Men's Garden Club Container Contest-Whole Child
Day of Service on Saturday, February 27, at Claxton
- James Cassara--priming the pickets for the student self-portraits
- Molly Peeples-cutting & organizing
- Claxton Grounds Team-pruning and cleaning garden beds
Balanced Calendar Pros & Cons-Whole Child
Asheville City Schools Restructuring Options & Next Steps-Whole Child, Academic Achievement, & Early Childhood
- Five Options were presented to the ACS School Board on Monday, January 25
- Options are located on the ACS homepage under "Hot Topics"
- ACS to conduct further exploration on Option 4
- Collect Feedback from Claxton staff on pros & cons of Option 4
UPCOMING EVENTS FOR FEBRUARY & MARCH
- Monday, February 1, Tuvan Throat Singers 9:20
- Tuesday, February 2, PTO Meeting at North Asheville Community Center at 6:00--CANCELED DUE TO COMMUNITY FORUM AT HFE at 5:30
- Friday, February 5, First Friday at Asheville Pizza on Merrimon Avenue. Come meet our new teachers.
- Monday, February 8, School Improvement Team Meeting
- Thursday, February 11, 3rd-5th grade Valentine's Day Dance
- Thursday, February 18, Family Voices/Community Outreach Night at the Montford Center from 5:30 until 7:00 PM
- Friday, February 19, THIS IS A FULL DAY NOW.
- Monday, February 22, Required Work Day
- Monday, February 29, Tea & Talk with the Superintendent for Claxton Families
- Tuesday, March 2, PTO Meeting at 6:00 pm at the Grant Center
- Friday, March 11, Early Release, PTO provides lunch for staff
- Tuesday, March 15, Math Carnival and Chicken Dinner from 5:30 until 7:00 pm
- Wednesday, March 16, K-5 Career Fair in gymnatorium from 9:00 until noon
- Friday, March 18, Light the Night Auction at the Salvage Station--casual dress
- Saturday, March 19, Spring Grounds Work Day
- Thursday, March 24, Family Voices/Community Outreach at the Grant Center from 5:30 until 7:00
- Monday, March 28, through Friday, April 1 Spring Break