May 27, 2019
Thursday, May 30
- 9:00 am & 7:00 pm Spring Concert (Gr. 5 Chorus, Gr. 4-5 Strings & Gr. 5 Band)
Friday, May 31
- Field Day
Saturday, June 1
- 11:00-3:00 Day of Service
- Gr. 3 Field Trip to Old Res
- Gr. 5 Field Trip to Nature's Classroom - followed by "Night Under the Stars"
Friday, June 7
- 6:30 End of Year Picnic
Wednesday, June 12
- Volunteer Appreciation Breakfast
Thursday, June 13
- METCO Family Friends Day
Friday, June 14
- 5:30 Gr. 5 BBQ
Monday, June 17
- 9:00 Gr. 5 Moving On Ceremony
- Gr. 1 Day of Fun
Tuesday, June 18
- LAST DAY OF SCHOOL - 12:15 Dismissal
Estabrook continues to fluctuate between four and five sections per grade level - meaning that teachers need to shift grade levels from year to year to accommodate these changes. In addition we have some unexpected departures that have resulted in three vacancies. Here's the latest information (subject to change between now and August):
Congratulations to Psychologist Dan Markowitz on his retirement from the Lexington Public Schools. Congratulations as well to Kindergarten teacher Katie O'Hare Gibson, who will move to Hastings next year to become their Assistant Principal. Best wishes to first grade teacher Lauren Harris, who is relocating to California and third grade teacher Jackie Carlozzi who is relocating to New Hampshire. TLP Social Worker Alicia Lindenmayer, who went on maternity leave in February, has resigned her position. And Kindergarten (Moretti) Assistant Caroline Norris will be leaving to complete her graduate level student teaching. We thank each of these staff members for their dedication to students and their contributions to the Estabrook community.
Change in Assignments
- Kindergarten (4 sections): Cindy Chartrand will return to Kindergarten after a year teaching first grade.
- First Grade (4 sections): Stephanie Fenerlis will return to first grade after a year teaching second grade.
- Second Grade (5 sections) TLP teacher Heather Kramer will return to the classroom after five years in TLP. We will also be hiring a new second grade teacher.
- Third Grade (4 sections): Special Educator Alison Buthlay will teach third grade next year and Anna Sternfeld will move from the classroom to become a special education teacher. We will also hire a new third grade teacher.
- Fourth Grade (5 sections) Fifth grade teacher Carey St. Onge will shift to fourth grade.
- Fifth Grade (4 sections)
- TLP Social Worker: After a full search process, I have appointed Janet Barber. Janet has has been the long-term substitute since February and has done an excellent job forming relationships with students and working as part of the TLP team.
- Psychologist: The search has been reopened and a new rounds of interviews has scheduled.
- Second and Third Grade Teachers: Incoming Principal Lisa Riendeau and I have begun screening interviews. Candidates will then be selected for interview with a committee over the next two weeks.
- Special Educator - Therapeutic Learning Program: The position has been posted and resume screening will begin this week.
Elementary/Middle School Redistricting: Update & Information Sessions
Since the start of our elementary and middle school redistricting project in February, Advisory and Working Groups were formed and have begun their work. They have established redistricting criteria that will be used to evaluate and revise potential redistricting plans. The process also included a review of school capacities, enrollment, housing and town land use, student transportation and school committee policies, among other information. To view the details of this work, you can visit the redistricting webpage at: http://bit.ly/RedistrictBlog
Interested in learning more? We will offer public information sessions on June 5th at 8:00 AM and 6:30 PM. Both sessions will be held in the Estabrook Meeting Room at Cary Hall, 1605 Massachusetts Avenue. These sessions will include background on changing district enrollment, an overview of the process and timeline and key takeaways from analysis complete so far. Participants will also have the opportunity to ask questions. We will not have revised school assignments maps completed at this time.
If you are unable to attend on either of these dates, the same presentation was given to School Committee on May 21, 2019. This meeting was recorded by LexMedia. When available, a link to this recording will be included on the redistricting website, along with presentation materials.
This work is still expected to culminate with a preferred redistricting plan to be presented for public comment early this fall. Following a review of community feedback and any needed revision, a final recommendation will be presented to School Committee for vote. Approved maps will be implemented for the 2020-21 school year.
Congratulations Fourth Grade Math Club
Congratulations to fourth graders:
Dorje Arya, Esme Cohen, Sri Sunny Daxikar, Ayush Deb-Bhattacharyya, Lewis Ferguson, David Guo, Aleah Hernandez, Jayden Ho-Tran, Deeya Khamesra, Avia Liao, Jereniah Liu, Sadie Mae Maloney, Vasily Morozov, Parnika Mysore, Patrick Noonan, Danny Olofsson, Shreyus Pokharna, Siddarth Revenkar, Jasna Singh, Bernardo Steithorst, Alexander Tran, Alex Tsaros, Isabel Tully, and Aikyan Vadlamani.