Creston Community News
Creston's Weekly Update for Students & Families
BACK TO SCHOOL UPDATES
- AUGUST 6th: First Student Day for Grade 5 students both virtual and in person (fifth grade students attend in person daily).
- AUGUST 6th: First Student Day for Grade 6, 7, and 8 students with last names A--K (Black Cohort)
- AUGUST 7th: First Student Day for Grades 6, 7, and 8 students with last names L--Z (Gold Cohort) (this is also the 2nd student day for 5th graders).
In-person and virtual students in 6th, 7th and 8th grades will attend on alternating school days. Page 18 of the MSD Warren Township SAFE Reopening Plan is a black and gold color calendar of the alternating days of attendance for the first semester.
Later in this newsletter, information is shared related to:
- 5th Grade Orientation (in-person event, Wednesday, August 5th at various times - see below)
- 6th Grade Orientation (a virtual/online event, Wednesday, August 5th at 6:00 pm)
- 7th/8th Grade Orientation (a virtual/online event, scheduled for Wednesday, August 19th at 6:00 pm)
It is REQUIRED (based on Marion County Public Health Department guidance, Governor Holcomb & Mayor Hogsett's regulations, and MSD Warren's SAFE Reopening Plan) that ALL STUDENTS & STAFF wear face masks on school buses and in school buildings. The only exception to this rule would be if a student needs to eat or drink. Please make sure your student is familiar with how to wear a face mask, and that he or she has a mask to bring to school each day. (See end of newsletter for guidance on Face Masks if needed).
Bus drivers called students early this week to share bus route and pickup information. If you have remaining questions related to bus routes/times, please call Transportation at 317-532-2820.
We anticipate a large number of families driving their students to school, which will likely result in a longer car rider line. We expect all parents/caregivers to exercise and display patience in the car rider line, as well as to follow and comply with all rules/regulations given by school or security staff. Failure to do so could result in injury or safety hazards on our campus, and our number one priority is to keep students and staff safe!
Please note that the school day begins at 8:55 AM - this is when students are to be seated in their Core Connect class.
WHERE TO REPORT ON DAY 1 OF SCHOOL:
- It is important to note that ONLY Creston students and staff will be allowed in the school building on our first day of school (and there after). Parents and caregivers will NOT be permitted to walk their students to class, etc.
- If you are driving your student to school, please make sure to have your student prepared to get out of the car efficiently to allow other families the same opportunity. All Creston students (whether virtual or in person) begin EVERY SCHOOL DAY in their Core Connect class.
- Please encourage your child to check their Warren email each day to make sure they receive pertinent notifications from the school!
- Creston teachers are making phone calls/sending emails today (Wednesday) to introduce themselves and direct students. Students will learn more about their daily schedule during Core Connect class, their first class of the school day!
All students in grades 6, 7, and 8 (whether virtual or in-person/hybrid model) will have school tasks to complete each weekday. Students will receive direct instruction from teachers on their Black or Gold schedule day, then will have related-tasks to complete on their "off" day, or Application Day. These tasks will be more independent and serve as follow-up/reflection materials for content learned with teachers - completion of these tasks will be required to receive an attendance status of "present" for each application day. Every scheduled day of school will receive an attendance code.
These students will be contacted by their Virtual Teachers prior to the first day of instruction.
These students should plan to attend school in person following this shedule:
Last names A--K - Black Schedule (first in person day is August 6th)
Last names L--Z - Gold Schedule (first in person day is August 7th)
**Only if your family has spoken with administration about adjustments to the above schedule due to household/family having multiple last names would a student have the opportunity to adjust their schedule.**
ITEMS TO BRING TO SCHOOL:
To begin the year, students only need a pen or pencil!
Please note that for the first quarter of the school year, students will NOT have access to hallway or gym lockers - students do not typically need coats at this time of year, and they will not be changing clothes for PE class. Students should bring minimal items into the school building this year to avoid spread of germs. While we strongly recommend students minimize what they bring to school because of not having lockers available, should a student need to have a small bag to carry his/her items, they will be permitted into the classroom. A teacher may direct students where they are to place such bags during the class to ensure safety."
Students will continue using the Chromebook they received in the Spring; if your student does not have a Chromebook and needs one, their Core Connect teacher will help with this in the first several days of school. Chromebooks are not a necessity on August 6th or August 7th -- students can leave these at home on those dates. Remember, any items students bring into the building will need to be carried around with them during the day. This year, students in grades 5-8 will be responsible for bringing their Chromebook to and from school EACH DAY - the device is essentially "checked out" to them to utilize at home on their Application Days (non-in-person days) and needs to come back with them to school each morning. All students will receive a carrying case for safekeeping of their Chromebook and ease of transport.
All students will receive a carrying case for their Chromebooks the week of August 10th. Cases should be used at ALL TIMES with their district-issued Chromebook.
USE OF DEVICES IN SCHOOL:
The only electronic device students should be using during the school day are their district-issued Chromebooks. Cell phones, I-Pads, or other laptop/chromebooks are not acceptable.
*Note - a few students with special needs utilize district-issued I-Pads; these are acceptable as well.*
As we continue to navigate the reopening of school, we appreciate your patience as we work to make sure our students are enrolled in the corerct courses. We look forward to serving your students this school year!
CAR RIDER PROCEDURES - See Map Below!
- Enter campus using Prospect St. (far west entrance).
- Head south to the back athletic parking.
- Drop off/Pick up your child(ren) from the curb only.
- Exit back onto Prospect keeping the bus lane free of traffic. This will be marked off with cones.
- Be patient as students exit from/load into vehicles and follow the directions of staff at all times.
- For the safety of all, please refrain from using your cell phone during our drop-off and pick-up processes and observe posted speed limit at all times.
- Remind your child(ren) to actively prepare for exiting/entering vehicle to assist with the flow of traffic. All students are to follow the directions of staff at all times.
- Drop-Off: Observe a single-file lane at all times along the curb (area 3 on the map). Process begins at 8:35 AM.
- Pick Up: After loading child(ren), you may pull out of line slowly and carefully into the exit lane. Dismissal of students from the building begins at 3:55 PM.
6TH GRADE ZOOM LINKS FOR OPEN HOUSE TONIGHT!
- Warren Township has moved all of its medical athletic forms to a digital platform. Final Forms will be used to track the medical compliance for all of our student athletes. Access to the Parent Playbook to enter information is available by CLICKING HERE.
- Student athletes who have a valid 2019-2020 Physical on file will be able to use that to participate this school year, but parents will still need to use Final Forms to complete the eligibility process.
2020 Pesticide Notification Registry
The Indiana Pesticide Review Board has regulations that impact how school corporations may use pesticides on school grounds. MSD Warren Township follows these guidelines and we are inviting parents and guardians to join our Pesticide Notification Registry. By signing up for this registry, you will be notified via email at least 48 hours prior to a pesticide application at your child’s school, subject to certain exceptions. You will be invited to sign up for this notification each school year.
You will need to sign up for this notification every school year.
If you would like to participate, please complete the required form found at www.warren.k12.in.us.