October 25, 2023
HALLOWEEN @ ALTA VISTA
Remember to Pick Up Your Visitor Badge BEFORE 10/31
Attending the Parade
Alta Vista will be celebrating Halloween with a costume parade that includes ALL of our TK through fifth grade students. The Halloween Parade will be on Tuesday, October 31st at 9:00 AM. During the school day, all visitors (Grandma and Grandpa too) must check into our office through our Visitor Management System. Safety remains a top priority for our school and district and the check in process takes a couple of minutes for each guest. The Halloween Parade has always been a popular event and we are expecting quite a crowd. To help expedite the check in process on Halloween, please help us by pre-registering into our Visitor Management System prior to the 31st. It's a simple process:
1. Stop by the office with your driver’s license NOW, between 8:00 and 3:00. Let Chitra know that you would like a visitor’s sticker for the Halloween Parade.
2. Keep the sticker in a safe place until the day of the event. You will need to wear the sticker in a visible place on your shirt when you come for the parade on the 31st.
3. There will be two lines on the morning of the event. One will be for those who have pre-registered and have their sticker on. They will have their stickers checked and let in through the gate closest to the office. The other line will be for those that have not pre-registered for the event.
Please note, if you are unable to pre-register and pick up a sticker during the week prior to the parade, we anticipate a long line the morning of the event. It can take up to 2 minutes in some cases to check in each person. We highly suggest you come early so that you don’t miss the fun. No adult will be allowed on campus without a visitor’s sticker from the office. Thank you for your patience and understanding as we prioritize keeping students safe during school-wide events.
On Tuesday, you will find a wonderful Halloween balloon wall on the grass in front of the school. Be sure to stop by and take some photos of your favorite ghost or goblin. Thanks to first grade parent, Taryn Gaona, for adding some more fun to our celebration!
As your child gets ready for Halloween, please keep the following guidelines in mind:
- Costumes must be appropriate for school -- free from offensive images and language.
- No weapons, blood, or excessive gore are allowed.
- Students should be able to fully participate in the rest of the school day, this includes having shoes that are safe for outdoor play. Bulky costumes may need to be removed if it interferes with classroom learning.
- Masks may only be worn during the parade and cannot interfere with a student's vision.
Picture Makeup Day - Friday
Picture Makeup Day is Friday, October 27th. Only students who were absent for fall picture day or those who want to have their photo retaken will participate in make-ups. Please be sure to email your child's teacher today if you want your child's photo taken. Teachers will be keeping a list of who to send for photos. You should receive an email about 2-3 weeks after picture makeup day with an online code to access the proof and order prints.
TODAY'S PAWS AND PRIDE ASSEMBLY
This week's PAWS and Pride Assembly, we learned about Kimochis® Key 3. This Key helps your child to maintain a positive facial expression (Talking Face) and body language (Talking Body) when experiencing upset emotions and conflicts. A Fighting Face and Body can often make things worse. When your child can keep his/her face and body from looking aggressive or hurtful, others will be more willing to listen. Your child learned how to notice and read the facial expressions and body language of others as a way to understand the emotion behind the words.
HOME AND SCHOOL CLUB NEWS
The Scholastic Book Fair is coming our way! Choosing their own books empowers kids and inspires them to become Bolder, Prouder, and Stronger Readers. AND—as always—every book they buy benefits Alta Vista’s school library and classrooms. The book fair will be set up in the cafeteria during the following hours:
October 25th (Wed) 1:15 pm - 2:15 pm (All grades are welcome)
October 26th (Thu) 2:40 pm - 3:30 pm (All grades are welcome)
October 27th (Fri) 2:40 pm- 3:30 pm (All grades are welcome)
SPECIAL WALKTHROUGHS: In addition to our open hours afterschool, each class will have the opportunity to come in with their teacher and shop during school hours! Please keep an eye out for more info on your date and time from your teacher.
* Important: Please don't send blank checks or credit/debit cards to school with your student. Students should use cash only, in a ziploc bag or wallet, and with their name on it. Students are responsible for their own money.
Book Fair eWALLET: Before the Fair, set up eWallet for worry-free, cash-free purchases. Anyone can contribute! Simply create a free account, preauthorize a spending limit, and have funds immediately available.
Visit our Book Fair homepage to learn more and to create an account. It’s fast and easy!
On our homepage, you can also access our Online Book Fair, in case you can’t make it in person. All online orders ship free to your child’s classroom!
*WE NEED VOLUNTEERS to make this a successful event! Shifts are only one hour and no experience is necessary so please consider signing up at: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/60b054daaae2da5fc1-scholastic#/