BHS School Counseling Newsletter
2016-2017 Volume 3 Issue 1
What is the Role of the School Counselor?
A school counselor’s role is to support students’ individual growth in the following areas: academics, personal/social issues and college/career exploration. Counselors advise students with their academics and help them create four-year plans. Throughout a student’s high school career, counselors help students develop skills such as goal-setting, self-advocacy, problem-solving and decision-making. Counselors are available to help students learn about their personal interests and strengths, develop healthy coping strategies, and assist them during crises. Students see counselors individually, in groups, in advisory and during grade-level seminars. Ultimately, counselors provide support to students throughout their high school experience through collaboration with parents, teachers, administrators, school support personnel and outside resources.
What is the Role of the Student Assistance Counselor?
The goal of the Student Assistance Program is to enhance the resiliency of adolescents who are at-risk for substance use and other destructive behaviors.
The Student Assistance Counselor provides individual and group counseling, coordinates school-wide prevention programs and provides information and referral to treatment services.
To refer a student to a group or for individual counseling, please call Joanne Royley, Student Assistance Counselor in the Guidance Department at 247-3154.
What is the Role of the School Psychologist?
The school psychologist helps students succeed academically, socially, behaviorally, and emotionally. By collaborating with parents, teachers, administrators and other professionals, the school psychologist works to create a safe, healthy and supportive learning environment for all students. The school psychologist fulfills her role by providing individual and group counseling for students. To refer a student to the school psychologist, please call Lee-Ann Markowski, the school psychologist at 247-3154.
Upcoming Dates & Deadlines
September 16th - Last day to register for the October 22nd ACT
September 22nd - Last day to register for the PSATs
September 29th - Barrington-Mount Hope College Fair, 4:30-6:30 pm at Mount Hope High School
September 30th - Midpoint of the 1st Quarter
October 7th - Last day to register for the November 5th SAT
October 7th - Last day to drop a course without a "W" on a student's transcript
October 19th - PSATs
October 22nd - ACTs
November 4th - Last day to register for the December 10th ACT
November 4th - End of the 1st Quarter
November 5th - SATs
- Counselors will be calling all freshmen down to the School Counseling Office so that they can introduce themselves to you.
- We encourage all freshmen to continue getting involved in the school community whether it be through a school club, activity or sport. Activities Handbook
- Log onto Naviance in order to update your resume and revisit the results of your Personality Inventory. Naviance
- Counselors will be continuing their work with you this fall on Naviance as we shift our focus to career development.
- Please check the School Counseling website to view when college admissions counselors are visiting BHS. You can sign up to attend a presentation and then pick up a pass in the School Counseling office on the morning of the presentation. College Visit Schedule
- We welcome you to attend the BHS-Mt. Hope College Fair on 9/29 at Mount Hope High School from 4:30-6:30 pm. This is a great way to connect with college admissions counselors and learn about many colleges and universities.
- November: Counselors will be meeting with all juniors in order to help them develop a schedule for taking the SATs and/or ACTs as well as to help them begin their college exploration.
- Senior Seminars will be held during Health Classes 9/26-9/30. Counselors will assist seniors with updating their resumes and Individual Learning Plans on Naviance, continuing their career exploration and creating/continuing their Common Application online.
- September- October: Counselors will be meeting with all seniors individually in order to finalize their career/college plans.
Barrington, RI 02806
Follow us on Twitter: @bhsri_guidance