The largest denomination of Islam
By: Breanna, Taylor, Gerri, and Brandon
Location, Date, Historical Events:
- They were found primarily in the Middle East
- They formed at 632 CE
- 570: The Prophet Muhammad is born.
598: Ali, who will become the fourth caliph and the first Shiite Imam, is born.
613: The public preaching of Islam begins.
632: Muhammad dies. Abu Bakr is chosen as caliph, his successor. A minority favors Ali.
661: Violence and turmoil spread among the Muslims; Ali is assassinated.
- 1920-1922: Arabs, both Shiite and Sunni, revolt against British control of Iraq.
Important Dates, Holidays, Rituals, and Celebrations:
- Id-Al Adah
- Stopping several times a day to pray
- They face Mecca when praying
Primary Beliefs and Gods:
- Holy Books
- Judgement Day
Current Adherents Worldwide, Geographic Distribution, Statistics:
- Middle East
- Northern Africa
- Eastern Asia
- 1.5 billion muslims
- Heaven and Hell are eternal
Other Interesting Information:
- Sunni Islam is the largest Islamic Section
- Algeria is nearly 99% Sunny
- Afghanistan is 80% Sunni